We just bought a 1988 Holiday Rambler! Now what??...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I was telling Tom, you know all the stuff that we have had done?  He goes "we" no not me, you, and a lot of it probably didn't need it. 

Oh my!  LOL!  He says that about anything and everything, dear old hubby!! ???

Well I  like things fixed, what can I say. 8)

I have an 87 model Coachman 5th wheel, 20' that I use for hunting trips. When I got it there were a lot of TLC items to due. It has a real frame under it and the frame work is much better than our 2004. Some of the older ones are so well made and much more time was put into building. If you find one in good shape and sound they are very good users.

Please have all the brake hoses replaced and the lines inspected.  They are cheap at 20 - 30$ each and get both brake systems flushed.  The tag axle is a separate system if I remember right.  Brakes are the one place you don't want to fail and 10 years of sitting hurts things.

Centaurious said:
Please have all the brake hoses replaced and the lines inspected.  They are cheap at 20 - 30$ each and get both brake systems flushed.  The tag axle is a separate system if I remember right.  Brakes are the one place you don't want to fail and 10 years of sitting hurts things.

Wise advice.

The rubber brake lines, one at each wheel and one for the rear axle. They collapse internally with age. Easy to push break fluid through to apply brakes, not so easy for fluid pressure to release after braking. Added advantage to that, is an opportunity to flush your whole system. Old brake fluid turns black. The black is corrosion. Bleed brakes until fluid is clear. Easy to do with two people, one person to watch brake reservior and keep fluid level full, and a vacuum brake bleeder. Not the expensive ones, the the hand or air operated ones. The Harbor Frieght ones work well enough. The parts tools and a couple qt's brake fluid about $60. The fearful feeling, you might have gotten wrong, going away on first test drive?......Priceless!  ;)

Bill

We just purchased our first RV.  1997 Coachman Leprechaun  Low mileage of 21,541
During the purchasing process the generator was being worked on......... they were unable to fix so they switched out for another generator.  The door covering the generator was missing and we had a sheet metal man make us a cover.
Our first trial trip was to my brothers.  He has a Class A - and the guys immediately found a gas leak that almost unstoppable from the generator.... Had to cut the line and use a wood plug and clamp.  My guys said replace the hose......... it was rotten....

When we arrived back home I took to a RV Repair Restore shop........... as soon as I got out of the RV I noticed the laminate was coming away ... lots of big bubbles.  They found a water leak.......... and discovered roof decay.................

Because of the health of my spouse - we will have to rely upon the repair shop.  The expense will be a must because we want to live our dream
We are of the opinion that once these repairs are done..... our Coachman will be in good repair.

After reading your loving comments about your restorations, I know we need motor, brakes and lube work done before taking on the road......... fluid checks.

Am I understanding that a GMC dealer will take care of a Ford V10 service??

Thanks, MsPat

Sorry for taking so long to reply with updates... 

After having the minor needed repairs completed, we added 6 new Cooper tires. Immediately after buying them, we bought the must have tire covers. We found them online at several places and decided to go with a set from Walmart because of all the great reviews on the product. The price was nice too!

We updated the original toilet to a taller one, that is more like home. For some reason, using the standard RV toilets is like using a potty chair to me.  ??? Why do they make them so short? - space saving issues, I guess. Hands down, this is the best upgrade so far IMHO. Our knees are even more thankful!  ;)

Anyway, my DH also removed all the carpet and padding (except the carpet that was under the cabinets. It is a cream color and looks new under there, so why bother with changing it. So we left it alone.). He installed spill-proof carpet padding and new carpet in the living room area, and cherry Allure flooring from Home Depot everywhere else. We were skeptical about the Allure flooring with the drastic temp changes in the Kansas City area, but have checked on it every week this winter and it is doing fine. It does shrink, but if installed correctly it will float and it does just that! He made sure to leave a big enough gap around the edges for expansion in the summer heat and installed quarter-rounds at the edges to cover the flooring gap. Looks great! We have had temps of 104 and so far have seen temps of -4 this winter and we are pleased with the outcome! *Also, no smell from the flooring as a few others have complained of in other reviews.

With the drawer and door pulls changed to bronze from the polished brass, it really looks good! 

Attachments

• Toilet upgrade.JPG
    Toilet upgrade.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 55
  • RV flooring.jpg
    RV flooring.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 53
  • door pulls.JPG
    door pulls.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Drawer pulls.JPG
    Drawer pulls.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 47
Forgot the carpet pictures... Before and after.

Attachments

• Carpet before.JPG
    Carpet before.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Carpet after.JPG
    Carpet after.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 55
That does look great. There's a lot to be said for doing a lot of the work yourself. Besides, you end up learning a lot about your motorhome. I've also found that working on ous is great therapy, and Lord knows, I need a lot of that! Keep the updates coming.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom