What about Oregon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bucks2, did you see 'Sleepless in Seattle'? Remember the scene where the water was pouring off the roof in sheets?  ;D I live three hours north and while that does not happen often it does happen.

Thanks everyone.  Some great suggestions. 

We've been to the Eugene area twice and really liked it.  The first time we came in via the Willamette highway.  As I recall it was a beautiful drive.  I've always wanted to go back and take a closer look.  That will definitely be on the short list.  We visited friends at the Escapee park in Sutherlin and camped near the Umpqua River in Roseburg.  Liked the area West of I5.  Didn't have time to check it out.  Will do that next time we're in the area.   

We've driven through Wenatchee when exiting the Cascade loop.  As I recall there was still snow on some of the mountain passes so we headed South and ended up across the river from the Dalles.  Didn't get as far as Moses Lake. 

I think we've been all around Bend but never through it.  I've heard some good things about it.  I'd love to go to Colorado but for some reason Maria thinks it's tooooo cold.  Wendy, maybe you can talk to her.  "Why bail out of California?"  I can give you 38 Million reasons. 

Lou, not sure if the latitude of the sun was the reason, but as I recall there was significant glare during the late afternoon hours.  It made driving unpleasant.

Ardra, the no income tax status of Nevada and a few other states is appealing but lots of green and being near the water outweighs the tax benefit. 

Bill, we've been through Jackson Hole and the beautiful area along US 89.  It's a bit sparse but otherwise quite appealing.  As far as vehicle license, I just got the registration for my 9 year old F250.  $329.  That just seems wrong.  Hard to imagine Wyoming could be any worse. 

Been to Texas three times.  The last time we spent two weeks in the Hill Country.  That a great area.  There are other areas that are nice as well.  It's just those long drives to get there. 

Sequim is truly in the rain shadow of the Olympics but it is also exposed to the winds that come roaring down the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

I lived in California my whole life and didn't think I'd ever leave. As I got closer to retirement I started looking elsewhere too. I've been living in Salem Oregon now for 7 years.  My pension goes farther here. No sales tax, no smog laws, vehicle registration is way less than Ca.  I've got three vehicles, that I pay $84.00 each for two years of registration. And a 2014 39' 5th wheel that we pay, I think $179.00 for two years.
  The only thing I miss about California is the weather, and my son and grandkids.

We lived and worked in the Portland area for years.  To much rain for us. Then moved to southern Oregon, Grants Pass area. Much drier but still can get cold in the winter but no real snow. Still can be gloomy. Oregon is nice, if you want mountain's, high desert, the coast, tree's or no tree's it's all there.  But noplace we want to be year around any longer. But I can't think o many places in the USA that we would want to be year around lol!!

RoyM said:
bucks2, did you see 'Sleepless in Seattle'? Remember the scene where the water was pouring off the roof in sheets?  ;D I live three hours north and while that does not happen often it does happen.

Roy, I was born in Bremerton, and have lived within 40 miles of Seattle my entire life. When I retired we started spending winters down south. You might say I'm familiar with the rain........  ;D In January when I wake up to the sunshine in my eyes and walk the dog in my shorts and polo shirt I remember the years and years of sunless months in the PNW. Summers are good here because of the Puget Sound and the boating opportunities. I'll be really old and really gray before I spend another winter here.

Ken

Frizlefrak said:
No state income tax?  Nice climate?  Friendly people?  Fantastic food? Lots to do?

Texas.  :)

What's the area around Paris, TX like? Would you recommend it for retirement? We have family that lives in Hot Springs, AR so it would be reasonably close.

mariekie4 said:
Paris TX lies right in the middle of tornado alley!  :eek:You decide if that would work.

Yeah, I've been looking into that. It appears it depends on which map you look at. It seems to me like it is outside the core of tornado alley, but definitely within the possible...of course in the last few years even CA has been seeing a few small ones.

Attachments

• TA 1.png
    TA 1.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 15
  • TA 2.jpg
    TA 2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 15
  • TA 3.jpg
    TA 3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 16
  • TA 4.png
    TA 4.png
    215.2 KB · Views: 10
  • TA 5.jpg
    TA 5.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 17
Come on down to the Hill Country.  Better climate, out of tornado alley, and just some rain from any hurricanes that dare attack the Texas coast :)

Ned said:
Come on down to the Hill Country.  Better climate, out of tornado alley, and just some rain from any hurricanes that dare attack the Texas coast :)

Yep.  I fell in love with the hill country first time I saw it.  That's where we're looking at to retire. 

Ned said:
  Ned, how do you define some rain?  We were at Potters Creek, Canyon Lake last November and got some rain.  I think it was about 9 inches.  The lake rose 4 feet over night. 

garyb1st said:
  Ned, how do you define some rain?  We were at Potters Creek, Canyon Lake last November and got some rain.  I think it was about 9 inches.  The lake rose 4 feet over night. 

These days we'll take all the rain we can get.  We've been in drought for a few years.  If you want to know what happens when we get real rain, read this article.

Ned said:
These days we'll take all the rain we can get.  We've been in drought for a few years.  If you want to know what happens when we get real rain, read this article.

We were at Lake Travis in 2008....it was WAAYYYY down.  I hope it's recovered. 

howellad said:
Just do not pick Colorado has half of California has already moved there.....LOL.  Good luck in your relocation challenge.
Have they put up the "Will Last Person to Leave CA Please Turn Out The Lights" signs yet? My nephew and his wife are planning on leaving once his retirement kicks in.

My brother and sister moved to Oregon in the early 70s. He has moved from Eugene to Portland and recently to Bend, which is affordable and offers great recreational opportunities as well as a nice climate most of the year. I never would live in the state. It's too expensive and hard left for me (You can't pump your gas unless you're driving a diesel.) And, overall, taxes are high.

About 20 years ago, we moved our business to the Denver area, which is only 75 miles from the ski slopes, hiking, fishing, summer music festivals and other nice stuff. A short drive west from Denver and you're on vacation. No planes or trains, but traffic home after weekends can be a hassle until you learn how to game the clock.

Lots of people are coming to Colorado to retire. Year around, the climate is relatively mild. It's never as cold as Chicago nor as hot as Dallas. People golf eight to nine months a year. Humidity is low.

We have sunshine 70% of the time. That makes living with your spouse so much easier. Sunshine makes us all happier.

Several friends winter in Arizona and Texas. Now that we're done skiing, we may take our motorhome south for a few weeks in the winter.

Otherwise, being midwesterners, we love the big mountain snows and the mild Denver winters.

Great professional and college sports on the Front Range, decent restaurants and cultural entertainment. We enjoy the National Repertory Orchestra music festival (17 concerts in 8 weeks in Breckenridge.)

Further, DIA is a good airport with flights almost everywhere if you want to deal with the TSA. I don't.

But we're only five hours down I-25 from Santa Fe and five hours west to Salt Lake. St. George is six to seven hours while Las Vegas is about 10 to 12 hours, depending on how you drive and how often you stop.

Health care facilities here are very good on the Front Range. As you'll find in any rural area, health care is hit and miss in rural areas, and it's expensive.

There are several nice retirement communities and continuing care facilities in the metro Denver and other Front Range cities if and when you need them.

Suburban schools are good, Denver schools are hit and miss. You have to be in the right Zip Code area.

Finally, there are several active Winnebago-owners clubs, KOA's and other RV parks and state park camping around the state. Gas prices are relatively low here. 

It's 1,000 miles to Chicago and Bend, Or, and about 1,200 to LA and San Fran and a long way to the East Coast and deep south.

I think it's pretty easy to get your motorhome serviced in the Denver area (several Camping Worlds, TransWest is big, and independents.)

Negatives? I think real estate prices are relatively high now. 20 years ago they weren't. Tax rates are moderately high. But that's true for almost all states. They just apply the pinch in different ways. Drought and forest fires. They're no problem if you find a place in an urban area or just make sure that you don't buy in a forest or on a flood plain. We have very minor earth quakes and only a few tornadoes compared with tornado ally areas.

As people age, heart and lung problems make living at 5,000 to 9,000 feet altitudes unhealthy. So many move back to Peoria, IL or AZ. If we ever have to move closer to sea level, we think we'd spend summers in Grand Haven, MI, and winters in Tucson, AZ.

Hard left politics. Vehicle emissions testing on the Front Range is a hassle, which is one reason we live in the mountains and have our 2nd home in the suburbs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom