What type of tire pressure monitor can I get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

I have been looking at several kinds.  I see they have them for the motorhome and tow vehicle too and the better ones also monitor tire temperature.  I'm thinking with the heat this year that might be a good item to have.

Also I'm out checking every morning before I pull out, tire pressure, engine oil, transmission fluid level, water level, in summer.  And if I've run it and while level gauge my generator oil.  Hubby is a big stickler on this stuff so I dare not. ;) But at least I wouldn't have to gauge all the tires and that would be really helpful.

But man these things are expensive, I see $600 or more for both vehicles.  I see where they are remote and I will likely need a booster for the tow vehicle so of course that adds to the cost.

Any sugggestions and are they all that expensive or more??

I'm hoping Sue Anne's health issues will continue to improve so we can go.  Right now her last appointment is in July for a followup endoscopy to see if her ulcer is healing. Gastro doc said it was a really big one. So crossing fingers.

Probably the most popular system is the Pressure Pro.  Pressure Pro are the pioneers in this field, having developed the technology that most of the others have copied.  Many of us have used their product for years and can acknowledge the excellent customer service that they provide.

Personally, I don't consider temperature monitoring as necessary, certainly nowhere near as important as tire pressure.  The cost is small compared to the damage that a tire failure can cause.

You may not need the remote repeater, I would install the system without one and see if you really need it.

As for cost, you get what you pay for, as usual :)

TST is pretty popular and less pricey I have had mine a little over a year now and love it.

Ned expressed my sentiment on monitoring tire temperatures pretty well.  About the only cause of high tire temperatures that you can control (or respond to) is LOW tire pressure.  The Pressure Pro system alerts you to low pressure.  If you understand that, then the Pressure Pro tells you everything you need to know.

I do carry an Infrared thermometer that I use, but it is more for monitoring wheel HUB and brake caliper temps than for tire temps.

I agree with you'll about the high pressure and temp.  The killer is low pressure.  I don't pay much attention to either of those, only the low pressure, in fact I have the level set for high pressure set to the max.

For a marketing statement, IMO, PP has just implemented temperature readouts. I too agree that it is an irrelevant feature. The low and high pressure warnings that PP has had for years are much more important. As Ned said, try the system without the repeater first. For your size coach, I would expect that you would not need the repeater. Line of sight, PP's range is up to 300'.

Hi Ho:  About 8 or 9 years ago I found some simple things that screw onto the valve stem and indicate green for pressures above the set point and red for anything lower.  They work just fine, cost only a few dollars and let me see at a glance if any tire needs air.  Sometimes simpler is actually better.

dirko said:
Hi Ho:  About 8 or 9 years ago I found some simple things that screw onto the valve stem and indicate green for pressures above the set point and red for anything lower.  They work just fine, cost only a few dollars and let me see at a glance if any tire needs air.  Sometimes simpler is actually better.

That won't help if a tire develops a leak while traveling down the highway.

I've been very pleased with the performance of the TST TPMS in our 33' motorhome with sensors on the toad as well. No repeater was needed as I get reliable readings even when the toad is about 75' away. Others may think the temperature reporting feature is worthless, but I have seen its effectiveness on two occasions so far, once for a stuck brake caliper on our toad, and again for a bad wheel bearing. In both cases, the temperature alarm alerted me to a problem well before the tire pressures showed any significant change.

Carolyn,

We needed the remote for the toad.  Motorhome is 40 feet.  When you're driving down the road and get a flat, you'll know immediately.  Last summer we got one on the toad from road debris in TN and it was totally flat before we found a place to pull off the pavement (less than 1/4 mile).  It could have caused a lot of damage, so definitely get them for your toad too.  The important thing is to have the readout for ALL tires right on your dashboard where you can see the flashing light or hear the audible alarm.

Hope Sue Anne is continuing to improve so you can get back on the road.

ArdraF

I purhased the TST system as well and love it. The price was resonable.

Bill

I agree with all of the comments so far about temp capabilities.  Like Lou, I carry an infrared gun but not really out of concern for the tire temps. 

I bought a Doran 360 with 10 sensors and the repeater two years ago.  I was on the phone with them today ordering replacements for the 7th and 8th failed sensors!  I think it was one of the Pressure Pro copies/spin offs and as they say..."sometimes if you make a copy of a copy it's not quite as sharp as the original." 

Best of luck...

rick

I can see where the temp can come in handy in the admittedly rare circumstance of brake problems or possibly overheating bearings.  I'd happily spend a bit more for that very slight additional level of safety.

There has been at least one posting on this forum stating locked brake calipers were a problem.  Possibly part of a recall. 

I did see a tandem axle fuel truck last year on the highway with significant amounts of smoke coming from the undercarriage.  And not coming from the exhaust. 

Thanks for the replies, still thinking on this.

Hubby suggested these so I wouldn't have to check every morning.  He is thinking the pressure/temp ones might give a lot of false alarms, plus do those things on the valve stems cause issues.  The stems are long metal and those items on the ends look rather heavy.  Do people steal them also?

Sometimes simpler is actually better.

In most cases I would agree with you, but not where tires are concerned.  That type won't help her know she has a flat if it happens while she's driving.  We never would have realized the toad had a flat last year (road debris) if we hadn't had the Pressure Pros or something similar.  Everything can be just fine when you take off for the day but it's after that where the tire pressure monitoring systems proof their worth.

ArdraF

PatrioticStabilist said:
Hubby suggested these so I wouldn't have to check every morning.

Some of the better ones permit you to check the pressures during warmup before you start driving. I still check my pressures every morning before departures while the jacks are coming up, never leave the driver's seat.

He is thinking the pressure/temp ones might give a lot of false alarms, plus do those things on the valve stems cause issues.  The stems are long metal and those items on the ends look rather heavy.

Your stems are fine for use, false alarms are very infrequent on the better systems. The better systems use fairly light weight sensors that should have minimal effect on your wheel balance.

Do people steal them also?

Sensors are generally black plastic, no chrome bling. When installed, most systems match the sensor to a wheel position so it may be difficult to use a stolen sensor on another installation, for sure not on another brand. No real purpose to steal and they are somewhat unobtrusive. I've heard stories out there about stolen sensors, but I have no first hand knowledge of any. Lost, yes. Stolen, no.

TPMS systems are a very important tool in preventing large problems; blowouts, flat and/or destroyed tires, accelerated tire wear, poor fuel mileage and accidents from loss of control.

The TST system comes with a tool for tightening down the sensors, so should deter theft. Your metal stems are fine for the sensors. As far as the sensors on the toad, they do recommend changing to metal stems as well just to be safe.

Bill

If you buy the TST system, which I have and love because it saved me twice last year on a trip to
Alaska and Canada, be sure to not lose the o ring in the valve stem connection if you remove the sensor to check a tire as you should do periodically. Small little buggars that can cause a big leak if missing.

Bob

We have used the TireMinder system for two years and have had no problems so far.

Another voice, The TST system works fine for us but I monitor thye Toad with a Tattletale rather than the TST. I have the sensors for the Toad but have not changed the valve stems and probably will not as the Toad has a factory installed TPMS system installed.

Back
Top Bottom