What's the size of the fuel tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lvlyfun

I know this may sound kind of stupid, but I just don't know or how to find out. Been doing searches all over the internet and nothing. I don't want to have to run the tank dry to find out. I realize most RV's get between 6-8 mpg so I'm trying to see how far I can go before I need to fill up. (don't want to be where there isn't any gas stations). Oh and yeah it's a 1982 23ft. Skyline Jamee II.

???

If you have a generator then you don't want to see how far you can go before you run out. Most generators won't run unless the gas tank is at least 1/4th full.

Here is a place you can download manuals that might tell you:

http://www.imarksweb.net/book/1982+skyline+rv/

I would think a 23 foot class C would get closer to 10 mpg.

I've actually been there, got scammed into paying for a program to download something that didn't exist. I did better by going to skyline corporation and downloading the RV manual, but it doesn't have how much gas it holds. :/

Measure the tank  depth-width-length than you'll have a pretty good idea of it's capacity..

Why not just drive until fuel gauge reads 1/2 full, fill it up, and then double the number of gallons it took?

Assuming your fuel gauge is working properly, should get you close.  And you could doublecheck by seeing how many gallons it took to fill at 1/4 and 3/4.

If it took 12-13 gals at 3/4 gauge, 24-25 gals at 1/2, and 35-36 gals at 1/4 then you'd have about a 50 gal tank.

What chassis is the coach built on? The fuel tank comes with the chassis, not the motorhome. It's probably a Ford or Chevy van chassis, and those typically had tanks in the 26-30 gallon range.

I would just run it until the gauge said 1/4 and then fill it up. That amount would be my operating range, since I wouldn't want to intentionally go below 1/4 tank anyway. Consider that last 1/4 to be the "reserve".

the old 1974 Dodge Rockwood Class C with a 318 in it also came with a custom tank. I have no idea if it was put in place by the PO or by Rockwood. I don't remember how big it was.
the chassis tank would have been 22 gallons and you would have been stopping every hour to fill it up. the manual that came with the camper stated the fuel tank as 22 gallons.

the best way is to fill it up the way emiddleb described. it will give you the best info and experience on just how far you can go with THAT rig.

Measure the tank HxWxL in inches then divide that sum by 231that will give you the Gal.

This is for a minnie winne  but it probably the closest thing you are going to find to your RV.
It is the same Chevy G 30 chassis and the floor planis probably real close.

http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/globalElements/brochure/previous-models/1982/winnebago/82-MinnieWinnie-bro.pdf

Thanks Jim! That means my baby probably holds 40 gallons. At 8 miles per gallon (conservatively) that would take me about 320 miles, I think LOL. I'm terrible with math but I'm thinking that is about it. Which to me is awesome!! Especially if I get 10 mpg. I sure hope I'm close on the miles lol Don't want to be stuck on the side of the road cause I don't know math! lol

Speaking of fuel tanks. I just bought a 2003 Class C, Coachmen Freedom, 26 ' and when I went to fill it up it started leaking at the top of the tank. Has anyone expierenced this before?

Fred

The fuel gage/pump/sending unit conver gasket is probably shot.  Either than or the fill neck has been broken off the tank.  Either was you will need to drain the tank and drop it to fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom