Windmills on I-90

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helmerb

Now I know why there are so many windmills on I-90...I have forearms like Popeye from fighting that wind for two days LOL.

Actually, I'll bet the wind mills are there more because of the tax and other financial incentives.

I drove north on US-85 between SD and ND and had a 'great' time with the 30 mph cross wind.  Sure was glad to park it.  :)

Cross winds are were a Blue Ox True Center stablizer..... IS VERY VERY NICE.  Drive straight, PUSH button,, (NOTE have you ever seen movies where the novice pilot takes the plane off AutoPilot and promptly looses control.... Having pushed the blue ox button.. (At low speed the first time) I BELIEVE IT, the difference is that pronounced)  The instructions say park and push but it is easier to set straight ahead rolling, the first time you do this you might want to be rolling 10-20 MPH, no faster.. Once you know what to expect you can do it faster).

But it allows me to re-set the stabilizer to compensate for a tilted road or steady cross wind  Not much help if it is gusting....

Tuesday night..... The weather records sites say wind speeds here were in the low teens...... Evidence suggests 75-100 MPH.

I have been in 100 MPH winds before..  alas... the rig did not rock so much that time.  (Angle different)

Dan23 said:
Actually, I'll bet the wind mills are there more because of the tax and other financial incentives.

Not. Its because of a vote a few years ago making us citizens of this state to pay more fees and higher rates to go green.

John From Detroit said:
Cross winds are were a Blue Ox True Center stablizer..... IS VERY VERY NICE.  Drive straight, PUSH button,, (NOTE have you ever seen movies where the novice pilot takes the plane off AutoPilot and promptly looses control.... Having pushed the blue ox button.. (At low speed the first time) I BELIEVE IT, the difference is that pronounced)  The instructions say park and push but it is easier to set straight ahead rolling, the first time you do this you might want to be rolling 10-20 MPH, no faster.. Once you know what to expect you can do it faster).

But it allows me to re-set the stabilizer to compensate for a tilted road or steady cross wind  Not much help if it is gusting....

Tuesday night..... The weather records sites say wind speeds here were in the low teens...... Evidence suggests 75-100 MPH.

I have been in 100 MPH winds before..  alas... the rig did not rock so much that time.  (Angle different)
John,
I have a Blue Ox True Center.  The winds are pretty gusty when an 18 wheeler goes by on the windward side.  The Blue Ox True Center works nicely on a steady wind or a constant road slope, but NOT with gusty winds that go from 30 to 60 when a truck goes by on a 2 lane road.  I was also affecting the passing trucks with my wind.  Everyone was riding close to the right lane stripe on both sides of the road.

Hi Bill and Cindy,

Helmerb said:
Now I know why there are so many windmills on I-90...I have forearms like Popeye from fighting that wind for two days LOL.

Perhaps you were at or near the WY part of I-90? Perhaps you saw one of their famed wind socks?

http://rvsueandcrew.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/1-wyoming-wind-sock-500x408.jpg

(Just saw that one in the great RV Sue blog this morning, and got a healthy belly laugh out of it. Heck, I'm still laughing...  ;D)

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

dustym said:
Not. Its because of a vote a few years ago making us citizens of this state to pay more fees and higher rates to go green.
At least you're getting something from it...I've driven 5000 miles in 9 states since August 17.  Back in Michigan and the roads are the worst BAR NONE, and the highest gas prices we paid on the entire trip.

Helmerb said:
At least you're getting something from it...I've driven 5000 miles in 9 states since August 17.  Back in Michigan and the roads are the worst BAR NONE, and the highest gas prices we paid on the entire trip.

LOL  I'll match my *county's* lousy roads against those in your area any day.

State roads here are not too bad considering our winters. Warm weather states have a major head start in building roads because they can scrimp on shoulder width, guide rail installation, etc. since they have a limited number of days with slippery conditions. Of course, motorists in those states pay a possibly deadly price every time something causes them to slip off the paved edge.

The above cost factors show up in pavement surface smoothness. (Even though my roads s**k, I prefer spending much of my time here.)

Just drove from Omaha to Winkler Manitoba and back for the annual Leisure Travel Rally.  Wow. The moment we hit Manitoba the roads that were glass on I29 became as bad as I94 through Michigan or I 65 from Chicago through Indianapolis and south. Bad.  Bouncy. And plenty of tar strips every 30 or 40 feet.  Oh, sorry, it's Canada.  That would be every 30-40 liters :)

I was fortunate as the side winds weren't over 10mph and many times they were tail winds.  16-18 mpg.  But I've driven across Wyoming with 45-55 mph side winds.  No fun.  Just glad I don't drive a big Class A, an the Serenity is kinda streamlined - kinda.

Sorry Canada.  But if I had to drive from Winnipeg to BC, I'd go south into North Dakota and drive through Montana.

Chip

Wouldn't that be every 30-40 meters?  Or maybe the road was fine and you had been drinking 30-40 liters?    :eek:

This May I was in Odessa Texas there had been a front blow through just before we got there. They had a bit on the evening news where the high straight line winds had blown over a pumpjack in the oil fields.
Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom