Windows 10 Reservation made.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NY_Dutch said:
I have no intentions of allowing a Win 10 upgrade on any machine I own or maintain for at least 6 months to let the early adopters get the initial bugs out. And even then not unless an acceptable solution has been found for the uncontrolled update downloads.

That's a very conservative policy, but nothing wrong with it.  If you want to avoid the automatic updates, get the Pro or Enterprise version.  Only the Home version will get the automatic updates.

Ned said:
That's a very conservative policy, but nothing wrong with it.  If you want to avoid the automatic updates, get the Pro or Enterprise version.  Only the Home version will get the automatic updates.

Hmmm... my understanding is that the Pro will only let you delay the updates, while Enterprise will let you avoid them. Perhaps I missed something.

I cancelled my auto update, I just was not comfortable with it. I probably still will at some future date, but I too will wait for the initial rush is flushed out.  That and the DW is doing the update on her computer.  I would rather not do two updates at the same time in case there is an issue, only one machine will have a problem.

Interesting though, when I cancelled the update, Microsoft played the fear card.  I clicked the "cancel my reservation" link. I immediately got a pop up box that warned " Are you sure you want to cancel your reservation? You may not be able to update for free in the future". 

That kind of irritated me, and now I clicked "cancel" for sure.  I have never responded well to threats, no matter where them came from. 

They have already stated that the 'free upgrade' is a limited time offer that will expire in a year.  If you're still on the fence after a year it will be too late.

I'm probably going to do the same thing on 3 of my computers and my wife's as well.  She gets surly if her Facebook games don't work properly.  I'll do one at a time if the first one works out well.

I was a W10 beta tester and had no problems at all making the transition.  But I work in IT and have to work with about a dozen different OS's all the time.

Larry N. said:
Hmmm... my understanding is that the Pro will only let you delay the updates, while Enterprise will let you avoid them. Perhaps I missed something.
Your understanding is correct, Larry. I may explore the Enterprise route once I see whether it's worth upgrading at all.

Larry N. said:

I administer a large group of Windows 7 Pro computers and none of them have been offered the Windows 10 update reservation.  At least for now, the upgrade won't be automatic for Pro.

Ned, it isn't the upgrade that I'm concerned about as much as the forced updates after the upgrade. I can control the upgrade download by when I request it. Not so for the following updates.

Ned said:
I administer a large group of Windows 7 Pro computers and none of them have been offered the Windows 10 update reservation.  At least for now, the upgrade won't be automatic for Pro.

Oops -- I thought you were talking about updates TO Win 10, not from 7 or 8 to 10. Sorry...

My son got his update this morning just before leaving for work and got to play with it a little bit. He said he was having trouble with the Nvidia graphics card. Windows 10 did not automatically download the driver and the nvidia driver installer failed. He got home from work and rebooted and discovered that it had fixed itself while he was gone. Other than that, he is pretty happy with it so far.

The biggest problem I've read about thus far with Windows 10 is video driver related, mostly Nvidia.  That's one reason MS released the tool to hide updates.

Nvidia drivers have been poor at best for a long time.  My main laptop has both Intel and nvidia cards and when I tried to pre-install the new drivers (as nvidia suggests) the install failed.  Multiple times. 

Installed Win 10 from 8.1 a few hours ago.  Works like a charm, though I'm still finding my way through it.  I use Firefox and it now seems super-fast loading pages, but maybe it's my imagination.

Oh, yeah... have a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop about 18 months old.

K

I'm still on my  '06 Latitude D630 using 7.1 Ultimate. . .and thinking about not installing it for awhile. I use an external monitor in addition for old eyes. Any thoughts Ned?

I just finished the W10 update.
I checked the flag notification at 6:25 PM and it said is was ready.
I clicked OK.
At 8:00 PM I told it to use the defaults, as they can be changed later.
At 8:10 all was done.

Same background and all setting the same as in W7. Just as I left them.

This was on an older Acer with W7 and 4 gb ram.
I expect the wife's laptop to go quicker as it is W8 with 8 gb ram.

Even my older Office 97 programs work and they all seem faster opening.
I did not have to do anything.

Bob Maxwell said:
I'm still on my  '06 Latitude D630 using 7.1 Ultimate. . .and thinking about not installing it for awhile. I use an external monitor in addition for old eyes. Any thoughts Ned?

No hurry, but if you really want to do the upgrade, be sure you have a good image backup of your current system.  Windows 10 does have a rollback to your previous Windows version, but I like to have known fall back position :)

Ned said:
Pigs fly!  John Dvorak likes Windows 10!

Most of the reviews of Windows 10 I have read have been positive.. check that,, All the legitimate reviews have been positive.. the only negatives are from folks who have yet to update.

So far I can tell you only one thing.. Firefox works 100% normally under Windows 10.. (Only software I've tried since updating 13 minutes ago).

The IT game puts dinner on my table.  I've spent a huge portion of my life ferreting out problems in my company's IT environment that inevitably pop up in the wake of software upgrades.  Unless I suddenly develop a taste for extreme pain and frustration (..and there's fat chance of that happening!) - you couldn't pay me to be an "early adopter" of a new operating system.  Especially if I was going to have to install it on a machine that I wasn't willing to simply throw away if I encountered real issues.  On a machine that I used for anything truly important to me ... no way in hell !!!!!!

#1 complete successfully.
New browser...eh. need to work on since my familiar toolbars are not there. Firefox some toolbar tools do not work.
Start menu is different,  but appears manageable.

Back
Top Bottom