Admin fees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just like when the WWW exploded, if your business didn't have a web presence chances are you're losing out on business and certainly behind the times.
A good website can create business for you that you may not have been able to attract on a normal day of doing retail business. But most have a follow up number to contact them directly, that can close a sale. That's the key to reaping additional income in many cases.

Anyone working in the business is already there and if they are worth anything they are the key to making the additional sale from a website by answering questions. I have also found that fewer returns from online orders takes place when you can speak to someone directly about a product. Web pages with a chat bot is a crappy way to find out anything substantive.

The way I go about purchasing anything is to first decide exactly what I want, by this I mean down to the sku/model/part #, whatever. This is typically done after exhaustive research. I will then simply shop price on the net from reputable outlets considering all costs involved and use paypal when possible.

In other words I know exactly what I want, show me the prices.

Its no different than the vehicle fee many parks are charging nowdays. Its OK to camp but if you drive in, you gotta pay more, duh. The vehicle fees are exorbitant in some state's parks, Nebraska is $6 per day, plus camping fees, while South Dakota is $8 but $20 (good for a week) at CusterSP. Wisconsin is $8 daily for residents and $11 for out of state, with higher rates for certain parks. Georgia is $2 per day but campers do not need to pay the vehicle fee.

Charles

I remember when HTML and jpeg was all you needed.
I remember when the big thing w/ HTML markup was TABLES. Amazing as now you can line things up in columns and rows! Then much later, along comes CSS and sites like zengarden came along and showed a much more powerful path to creating sites.

someone who's stuck in the last century and demands personal interaction
Why are you insulting people who have preferences other than yours? Folks who prefer things a different way aren't necessarily UNABLE to deal with the current unhappy situation, but nothing makes them have to like it, and that does NOT make them "stuck in the last century."

The way some things have changed almost makes me wish I WERE "stuck in the last century" - literally - though there are many other things that make me glad I'm not.

No need for insults...

Why are you insulting people who have preferences other than yours? Folks who prefer things a different way aren't necessarily UNABLE to deal with the current unhappy situation, but nothing makes them have to like it, and that does NOT make them "stuck in the last century."

The way some things have changed almost makes me wish I WERE "stuck in the last century" - literally - though there are many other things that make me glad I'm not.

No need for insults...
Keep calm, noone's insulting anyone. Whether it's a current unhappy situation is a matter of perspective. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Last edited:
You may not have intended it that way, but it comes across that way. BTW, newer isn't automatically better.
I’m somewhat certain if the moderators on here need your help they know how to ask for it. Meantime who said newer is automatically better, or that older is automatically worse or implied that it's either/or? Some newer things are better, a personal inability or stubborn refusal to adapt to change doesn't make change bad, it only makes it bad for you.

Last edited:
The way I go about purchasing anything is to first decide exactly what I want, by this I mean down to the sku/model/part #, whatever. This is typically done after exhaustive research. I will then simply shop price on the net from reputable outlets considering all costs involved and use paypal when possible.

In other words I know exactly what I want, show me the prices.
I'm pretty sure the Didgeridoo I ordered online with no apparent thinking involved is the antithesis of your system.IMG_20230608_123007.jpg

You've succeeded in sending me to Google, you don't play that do you?

"Is it OK to own a didgeridoo?

It is significant that non-indigenous people have been given permission from many traditional owners to play the instrument although it is acknowledged that some Aboriginal communities feel allowing non-idigenous people to play the instrument is cultural theft."

I didn't start this thread to create an argument. The point I was trying to make is automated online booking systems seldom have information about the site you intend on booking. Is it shady, can I get slides out, is it long enough for my rig?
That's why I object to the fees, I can't ask important questions to an automaton.
If all the relevant information was always available, then I would say the company running the booking system probably earns the fee.
I haven't taken any offense at any comments made, but do wish some people wouldn't always go on the offensive.
Perhaps it's time for the moderators to close the thread.

You've succeeded in sending me to Google, you don't play that do you?

"Is it OK to own a didgeridoo?

It is significant that non-indigenous people have been given permission from many traditional owners to play the instrument although it is acknowledged that some Aboriginal communities feel allowing non-idigenous people to play the instrument is cultural theft."
I do, but not very well. Breathing is key, like a clarinet, you have to learn to breathe (inhale) through the nose while blowing into the instrument simultaneously. I love the sound though and some of those aboriginal dudes are amazing. I've seen a few orchestras where they've invited aboriginee didgeridoo artists to sit in and it's really astounding what they can make a hollow piece of wood do with just breathing.
I think Malcolm Gladwell popularized the colloquiallism that it takes 10,000 hours of dedicated practice to be good at most anything. I've a ways to go and the clock is running.

Last edited:
I’m amused when another retailer declares chap 11 and the CEO says we failed to realize the importance of the virtual marketplace. I’m 68 and haven’t bought a Christmas or Birthday gift for 8 grandchildren in a brick and mortar store in 5 years and don’t ever plan to. I can order a book, a fishing lure, coffee, or a car and have it delivered to my front door most of it next day and soon enough same day or have it delivered to an address most anywhere with just a click. You can order shoes and clothes and you don’t pay for them unless you keep them, if not returns are free. When I do by chance go in a brick and mortar I’m usually reminded why I prefer shopping online.
I guess the issue I see with this is what does that do for your local businesses. I do a fair share of stuff online but whenever I can get it locally in close to the same amount of time and close to the same price I always buy it locally.

I guess the issue I see with this is what does that do for your local businesses. I do a fair share of stuff online but whenever I can get it locally in close to the same amount of time and close to the same price I always buy it locally.
All anyone need to do is to look at what took place in Detroit when jobs were lost due to serious changes in available jobs when the changes in the auto industry took place. This goes the same way in each and every town across this nation when people no longer support their community's businesses. The entire infrastructure suffers.

This includes your first responders, your local schools, your roads, quality healthcare professionals, and even the desire for new businesses to come to your community and hire. When we travel we take every chance we can to drive off the interstate thru small towns. There are so many abandoned and boarded up stores and and falling down homes due to the loss of mom and pop jobs that thrived and made this country prosper threw the industrial revolution.

I didn't start this thread to create an argument. The point I was trying to make is automated online booking systems seldom have information about the site you intend on booking. Is it shady, can I get slides out, is it long enough for my rig?
That's why I object to the fees, I can't ask important questions to an automaton.
Apparently we use different online systems. For most all TX State Parks for example, you get quite a bit of information from their online booking site. Site length, site pad composition, full/partial/no shade, amenities, distance to bathrooms, etc. etc. and for most several images of the actual site. Similar particulars available for other State Parks as well.

As for your comment "...you do all the work online to book a campground" I don't understand what you're saying? Yes, one has to consider the options and make a decision. But while it may be frustrating at times when you want to make some kind of adjustment involving the fees, it's out of the hands of the park staff and you have to deal with the reservation system. Frustrating perhaps, but in most cases the staff on site has enough to keep them more than busy without having to deal with payment issues.

Actually, the times that I've had to call "central booking" to make some kind of change concerning fees, I've had nothing but great, helpful service. Of course they all want you to try to do it yourself online, but when you end up calling to speak to a real person, they've always been most helpful. This goes for various State Parks we've had to call as well as ReserveAmerica.

Private Parks? I know nothing. Never use 'em...

Apparently we use different online systems. For most all TX State Parks for example, you get quite a bit of information from their online booking site. Site length, site pad composition, full/partial/no shade, amenities, distance to bathrooms, etc. etc. and for most several images of the actual site. Similar particulars available for other State Parks as well.

As for your comment "...you do all the work online to book a campground" I don't understand what you're saying? Yes, one has to consider the options and make a decision. But while it may be frustrating at times when you want to make some kind of adjustment involving the fees, it's out of the hands of the park staff and you have to deal with the reservation system. Frustrating perhaps, but in most cases the staff on site has enough to keep them more than busy without having to deal with payment issues.

Actually, the times that I've had to call "central booking" to make some kind of change concerning fees, I've had nothing but great, helpful service. Of course they all want you to try to do it yourself online, but when you end up calling to speak to a real person, they've always been most helpful. This goes for various State Parks we've had to call as well as ReserveAmerica.

Private Parks? I know nothing. Never use 'em...
I think most of the reticence with online interaction is analogous to learning another language. To kids ( they're all mostly kids to us) who grew up speaking computereze navigating this or that web site is as natural as walking and talking. The notion that interpersonal interaction is preferable to a few clicks and done is as foreign to them as it would have been to a boomer to prefer gathering around the radio on Saturday night for The Lone Ranger to watching Bonanza in color or having ice delivered being preferable to a refrigerator. The economist Joseph Schumpeter coined the term "creative destruction" to label "the process of industrial mutation that revolutionizes the economic structures from within, destroying the old one, creating a new one"
Drive-In movies were killed off by by VHS, VHS was killed off by DVD's, DVD's were killed off by streaming as absolutely as any brick and mortar that is in direct competition with online shopping ie., book stores, isn't necessarily a long term proposition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom