Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty, Did you buy yourself one of those t-shirts? The gulls don't look unhappy. And always keep in mind that if you were in Yuma, you could be working on your tan but it's supposed to be 109 there today.

109 isn't tanning, it's broiling :)  Only 55 right now in Skagway, overcast but no rain.  Lorna and Barb just left on the boat for Juneau, Frank and I have all day to get into trouble.  We'll be sorry to leave tomorrow as we start our journey back south.  Only one more stop in AK, in Hyder, and the summer is over for us.

Well, 109 is a bit warm but Betty's tired of the rain and there's no rain in the Yuma forecast.

As for your summer being over, after the temperatures you've had, it'll still seem like summer's starting all over again when you get back down here.

wendycoke said:
As for your summer being over, after the temperatures you've had, it'll still seem like summer's starting all over again when you get back down here.

Good point :)  We'll probably have more mosquitos in St. Paul than we've seen in AK this summer.

Betty,

There was a detour on the road between Anchorage and Fairbanks because part of the highway was close due to mud slides from the rain! The detour added 75 miles tot he trip. Talkeetna had over 7" of rain.

ken

Ned,? (and others)

Be careful when you come down the Cassiar between Watson Lake and Dease Lake.? I drove that road in the rain on July,25th and saw an impatient RV driver dump his 40+ foot DP over on it's top when it slid into the ditch.? He was following a small truck and decided to pass it on the right when he thought it was going too slow while dodging potholes and washboard areas.? He never completed the pass.? I heard later that a semi truck did the same thing later that same night.

There is approx 15 miles of dirt road (your milepost will define the exact area) along that stretch.? The road gets very narrow and the shoulders are soft and give way very easily.? It also has a crown that raises the pucker factor during the rain.

Stay safe, lou

We're not in such a hurry that we would ever try to pass on the right.  We also avoid the shoulders on these roads.  Thanks for the tip.

Betty,

Tim and I have been enjoying your Alaska log and of course we can't help but get taken back to our 2003 trip.? Now I haven't brought this up before because I didn't want to bring any bad luck to all you forum travelers in Alaska.? I think it's safe to talk about it now. All that rain you are experiencing has at least kept down the dreaded windshield chips. We had a total of six on our trip, we always found "a local" to do the repair but the last one resulted in half a windshield replacement.? Alaska is still #1 on our list.? We have been traveling Colorado at a very slow pace for four weeks enjoying Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National and others.? They are spectacular and very enjoyable, but then there's Alaska!? Soak it up as long as you can (no pun intended ;-) and keep the journals coming.? Enjoy!

Jan

Tim & Jan said:
? I think it's safe to talk about it now. All that rain you are experiencing has at least kept down the dreaded windshield chips.

Jan,
Not only has  the rain kept the  flying rocks to a minimum, we've seen virtually NO mosquitoes.  No, there were  2 some place and they both bit Terry.  :) Glad you are enjoying the journal.  I review the  destinations of prior travelers  in forum  library to compare our travels with others.  Lots of differences in weather and perceptions.  We love it all! Except maybe the continous rain.
Betty

Like Terry, I think I've had 2 mosquito bites the entire summer.  As for windshields, both the Honda and motorhome windshields were cracked before we left AZ so a few chips up here aren't a problem :)  Also, the roads are MUCH better than we expected.  Mostly paved, and only a little gravel or dirt, a pleasant surprise.

August 20, 2006? ? Day? ?89? ?Last Day in Valdez? ? ?

The locals tell us they have never seen anything like it?.this many days in a row of hard rain!? ?We are leaving in the morning to go back to Glennallen for an over night then off to the State Fair in Palmer.? ?It is forecast to rain there too.? But heck, I don?t have to go to work and deal with ?rainy day lunch? in the cafeteria."? Life is good?.and wet.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0? ?
Wildlife sightings: Seagulls
Temps:? High? 50? ? ? ?Low 43? ? ?2.25? ?inches of rain? ?(So far in Valdez 6.50 within 9 days )
Camping Costs: $27 water and elec. Sea Otter Campground

Attachments

• Valdez042 (Small).JPG
    Valdez042 (Small).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 40
Time for a 90 day expense report.

Fuel includes motorhome & auto.
Meals includes groceries & restaurants.
Lodging is campgrounds.
Miscellaneous is everything else...mostly sightseeing/tour fees & souvenirs.

? ?Fuel.....................$2427.71
? ?Meals...................? 2733.29
? ?Lodging................? 1936.19
? ?Miscellaneous.......... 3746.75

? ?Total.................... $10843.94

$3614.65 a month or $120.48 a day for two people. We Have Not SKIMPED on anything.<G>

Betty is happy because our daily expense has dropped almost $5.00 from last month.

August 21, 2006? ? Day 90 Valdez to Glennallen?

OK Folks it is official?It is winter!? We left Valdez this morning under continuing rainy? and foggy skies.? We noted a new Caravan of Airstream Trailers had pulled into our waterlogged camp and we wished them well. We hooked up several miles out of town,  after the construction zone to try to avoid as much black crud sticking to the car as possible.? We had traveled this road a week or so ago and today it was a new road!? The waterfalls that had been a trickle are now a rushing torrent. The white ribbons of water falls a week ago are now fully white foam and running swiftly down mountains to the running streams that have become rivers. There were places on the road where waterfalls wet the road and still there is more water. The views were spectacular but a camera could not catch them as traffic still travels on this road.? ?The power of this water is unbelievable.? It carries fallen trees and spews out along the slit-ridden riverbanks. The River that had been an easy float trip is now a rushing class 4 river with silty water and rapids all along the way.? NO WAY am I going on a raft trip now.? This is what 7.5 inches of rain will do for you in 9 days.? We hardly ever saw the sun in Valdez but the drive through the Thompson Pass today was spectacular.? The temperatures dropped to 35 in the pass.? All of the surrounding mountains have a new dusting of snow.? ?I call it winter because our drive included sleet on the windshield and we are not going to any ski destination!? The same mountains we saw a week ago are now snow covered.? The St.? Elias Wrangle Range is in her full glory.? Recall the second and third highest mountains in North America are here and we saw them clearly today!? ?Mt. Drum was visible and stated; ?I AM HERE? to all tourists.? ?The locals are a bit concerned because the snow is all the way to the base of the mountain on August 21, this means the end of the season and it could snow at any time!? ?They lament because they had snow until May this year.? The Fireweed is at the end of it's bloom.? We saw some sun today and Terry tried to sit in his chair and read but the breezy temps of 40 degrees brought t him inside in a hurry.? We are only going to spend the night here in Glennallen and then move on to Palmer where we will make our first stay at an Elks Club Campground.? We plan to attend the State Fair. I am much happier tonight to have seen some sun and blue sky today.
Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 118? ?
Wildlife sightings: several eagles in flight, swans,
Temps:? High 48? ? ? ? Low? ?35? ? inches of rain? ?0.75 inches of rain
Camping Costs: $18 full hookups? ?Boardwalk RV Park
GPS: 62.10677,-145.51564

Attachments

• Valdez164 (Small).JPG
    Valdez164 (Small).JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Glennallen36 (Small).JPG
    Glennallen36 (Small).JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Glennallen37 (Small).JPG
    Glennallen37 (Small).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Glennallen40 (Small).JPG
    Glennallen40 (Small).JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Glennallen46 (Small).JPG
    Glennallen46 (Small).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 73
We've noticed the fireweed is just about done for the season.  This is a good time to head south, as we're doing.  It's incredible how much snow is on the Wrangles since we saw them just a short time ago.  The snow was only about half way down less than 2 weeks ago.

Mukluk Annie's is closed.  We're at the Continental Divide Lodge for one night and the lodge is closed but the campground still had W&E for $20/night, cash.  The owners are leaving on Thursday.  The season is really coming to an end but what a season it's been!

WOW, I just can't imagine that the summer season is over already.  What is usual date to get out before being snow-trapped?

It's not so much the risk of snow or anything concerning the weather as it is the slowdown in tourist traffic.  It is just not profitable to keep places open with just a trickle of RV's passing by.  The same goes for spring traffic.  If you go too early the roads may be open but the CG's, lodges and restaurants may not be.  Someone else will have to answer your question on just when they fire up the snow mobiles and light the Northern Lights....
lou

We stayed in Alaska proper until about 9/5 back in 2002.  Freezing nights were routine by then and fresh snow fell in the mountains most every night. Down in the panhandle (south) around Hyder it is a bit warmer and we had nice weather (chilly nights) through 9/16 or so.  We spent mid-September in BC, but by the third week of September we were seeing occasonal daytime snow squalls, though nothing serious. We left Alberta for the US about 9/25 after a 2 inch overnight snowfall in the lowlands well south of Calgary - figured it was time to head SOUTH!

Looks like winter may be coming early to Alaska? Winter is definitely coming early to Colorado. I base this on sound scientific evidence....the rufous hummingbirds who usually arrive in mid August came the first week of August and are gone. The rabbitbrush which is horrible for anyone with allergies usually blooms in September and it's already blooming here. My neighbor's maple tree is starting to turn colors. We're headed to north rim Grand Canyon next month and will probably get snowed in there for the winter (one can only hope).

Wendy,

Right now we are having a heat wave in the day time but it is getting down into the low 40s at night.  45 and 50 degree temperature swings tell us that fall is really on the way.  Now if we would get some snow to kill the fires!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lynnentim
Back
Top Bottom