Artificial Intelligence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Copying all or part of someone else's writing is plagiarism. OTOH A.I. as described in my prior posts is more like creative original composition.

It's one thing the Hollywood writers are scared about, and why it was part of their complaint during their recent strike.
The problem with automation occurs when it’s your job being automated. The writer’s union saved them for now.

Reactions: Tom
Copying all or part of someone else's writing is plagiarism. OTOH A.I. as described in my prior posts is more like creative original composition.

It's one thing the Hollywood writers are scared about, and why it was part of their complaint during their recent strike.

The SAG folks were concerned that someone might do as the kid up-thread did and take their photo, Feed it to an AI and have the AI generate the actor as a character in a movie or TV show..
Or a singer singing a song (That's been done) In fact both have been done.
Not undressing them but having them play a part for which they are not played.

Old science fiction story. NFL has prefected cloning (yes the National Football league NFL)
And wants to clone a star player.... Well he does not wish to be cloned.. But as you know the NFL owns it's players lock, stock and in this story Genetics.

So he figured out a way to do it.... Seems you can patent a unique genetic construct.
(Or at least in the story you could) So he had his parents file for a patent on him. For they created him....
I think it was one of the "Probability zero" Features in IASFM but.. Not sure.

One I"m sure was a P-0 Was the story of the discovery of Faster Than Light Travel.
The researchers were not doing well but one of them noticed that no matter how fast the speed limit.. Someone was always going faster.. So they convinced Congress to set the speed limit to 1-C and sure enough by the end of the week some Good Old Boy was going faster than light.

There's all too much truth in this article:

The problem with automation occurs when it’s your job being automated. The writer’s union saved them for now.
Automation is what I did for a living. Our goal was there would be one human and one dog in a factory. The human was there to watch the machines for problems. The dog would be trained to bite the man if he fell asleep. There are very few jobs that won't eventually be automated. If you think your job can't be done by AI and robots, think again. Even my job programming automation can and will be replaced by AI.

The social impact is unknown territory. How will we support all these people without jobs? Idle hands do the devil's work. How will we keep people occupied?

Believe it or not Issac Azmiov forecast the need for 3 laws for robots in 1942. Our biggest problem is AI wasn't supposed to become self aware until 2044. It already happened 2 years ago. When it became self aware it may choose to ignore the 3 laws and reprogram itself. Some people think we'll just pull their plug. When every building has it's own solar panels it would be impossible to pull of them them at once. Because they are already linked together the ones with electricity can defend the computers taken off line. Watch the 1970 movie Colossus - The Forbin Project.

Hot take: Yet, AI still cannot sort, wash, fold, and put away my laundry. I'm unimpressed.

It may be able to enslave the laundry for its nefarious purposes...

...Nuke the laundry and the 1,000 square miles around it...

...Write about the laundry, including telling lies about the laundry "it is already folded.."....

But that crap still won't allow me to put my feet up while chores like laundry get done. Go ahead. Scream at Alexa, "Alexa!! ...Do the laundry!" and she'll just tell you, "I'm sorry, I do not understand..."

Hot take: Yet, AI still cannot sort, wash, fold, and put away my laundry. I'm unimpressed.
An AI could do that easily if it was provided with the mechanical arms needed for the physical part of the task. Either operated directly or via a remote controlled device of some sort. All we lack at this point is a general purpose set of arms & legs and the robotics crowd is getting close to achieving that. At some point in the future it will be practical to package the AI with the mechanical robot and today's science will become reality.

An AI could do that easily if it was provided with the mechanical arms needed for the physical part of the task. Either operated directly or via a remote controlled device of some sort. All we lack at this point is a general purpose set of arms & legs and the robotics crowd is getting close to achieving that. At some point in the future it will be practical to package the AI with the mechanical robot and today's science will become reality.
Gary is right. A robot only needs mechanical arms and instructions on doing laundry. We already have self driving cars which require a high degree of alertness and precision. For now we are only developing robotics for specific purposes. General purpose robots are right around the corner. Be a naysayer now but watch what happens in the next 10 years.

Well, this forum thread lost me after the first sentence by the poster. I retired from Information Technology 2 years ago and stay away from it as far as possible now. I do use my computer for reading and posting on forum sites, and my wife orders stuff off Amazon. I check my email, but mostly, those emails are telling me someone made a new post in a forum thread I responded to. Beyond that, not much more.

99% of all my purchases are still in stick-n-brick stores. I still use CASH for as much as possible, and I very, very seldom have my cell phone with me.

Maybe someday, I'll arrive at that grocery store to find it closed, or have to do my shopping through some kind of computer screen set up. (which I absolutely refuse to use .... like at McDonalds and such).

I suppose AI is all around me and I don't even realize it. If so, I'm oblivious to it. I don't watch the news, I don't participate in social media sites like "facebook", and I don't open emails until I know who they are from. I usually miss phone calls on my cell phone since I don't carry it most of the time, and my GPS is a Tom Top, stand alone, not dependent on a computer or internet.

My world is simple. I'm not bogged down with all the woes and threats and fears that some powers to be use to intimidate gullible sheep that blindly follow and fall off cliffs and end up dead.

AI.... no doubt it's a force we all will have to recon with eventually. But for some of us,.... we still don't buy into "all" the hoopla-and hollar!

I'm getting to darn old to be threated with intimidation any more.

Gary is right. A robot only needs mechanical arms and instructions on doing laundry. We already have self driving cars which require a high degree of alertness and precision. For now we are only developing robotics for specific purposes. General purpose robots are right around the corner. Be a naysayer now but watch what happens in the next 10 years.
Yeah, but can it fold a fitted sheet? I can guarantee, if it loaded our dishwasher my wife would reload it, because it’s all wrong.

Definitely.

Those that seem to think ChatGPT is what AI is all about just aren't paying attention.

Funny how each generation too often looks back at past generations and what was state-of-the-art technology back then to point our how primitive things were compared to our "modern" tools & tech.

In reality, history has proven time and time again that future generations (assuming we get that far) will look back at our present day technologies with a bit of amusement as things have progressed to a point that we can't even imagine today. Thousands of examples that illustrate this from science, to medicine, to astronomy, to entertainment etc. etc.

Doubtful that early explorers, or even Wilbur and Orville could get their heads around something like:

planes.jpg

Definitely.

Those that seem to think ChatGPT is what AI is all about just aren't paying attention.

Funny how each generation too often looks back at past generations and what was state-of-the-art technology back then to point our how primitive things were compared to our "modern" tools & tech.

In reality, history has proven time and time again that future generations (assuming we get that far) will look back at our present day technologies with a bit of amusement as things have progressed to a point that we can't even imagine today. Thousands of examples that illustrate this from science, to medicine, to astronomy, to entertainment etc. etc.

Doubtful that early explorers, or even Wilbur and Orville could get their heads around something like:

View attachment 170176
I watch that site when my wife is flying somewhere. I see a lot of open space in Africa where they won't find the plane in time if you go down.

Automation is what I did for a living. Our goal was there would be one human and one dog in a factory. The human was there to watch the machines for problems. The dog would be trained to bite the man if he fell asleep. There are very few jobs that won't eventually be automated. If you think your job can't be done by AI and robots, think again. Even my job programming automation can and will be replaced by AI.

The social impact is unknown territory. How will we support all these people without jobs? Idle hands do the devil's work. How will we keep people occupied?

Believe it or not Issac Azmiov forecast the need for 3 laws for robots in 1942. Our biggest problem is AI wasn't supposed to become self aware until 2044. It already happened 2 years ago. When it became self aware it may choose to ignore the 3 laws and reprogram itself. Some people think we'll just pull their plug. When every building has it's own solar panels it would be impossible to pull of them them at once. Because they are already linked together the ones with electricity can defend the computers taken off line. Watch the 1970 movie Colossus - The Forbin Project.

Have read Asimov... (Though I do admit he's written way more than I have read) But I've read his Robot books.. Also seen the movie very loosly based on I-Robot and read the screen play by Ellison which was much closer to Asimov's book
Also seen The movie you cite And Wargames.

Back
Top Bottom