Artificial Intelligence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have read Asimov... (Though I do admit he's written way more than I have read) But I've read his Robot books.. Also seen the movie very loosly based on I-Robot and read the screen play by Ellison which was much closer to Asimov's book
Also seen The movie you cite And Wargames.
The Three Laws of Robotics:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
And, For the 1986 tribute anthology, Foundation's Friends, Harry Harrison wrote a story entitled, "The Fourth Law of Robotics".
4. A robot must reproduce. As long as such reproduction does not interfere with the First or Second or Third Law.

No doubt AI is capable of amazing things. It has already found a place in medicine and defense. But it is fun to joke about the laundry, and self-loading dishwashers.

I watch that site when my wife is flying somewhere. I see a lot of open space in Africa where they won't find the plane in time if you go down.
A wonderful guy I worked with died after being on honeymoon. The pilot intentionally crashed the plane. No survivors. Really sad. They had a young child who had stayed at home in Angola with grandparents.

The drive-thru at the McDonalds up the street from us has been semi-automated for 10 years. The person speaking to you is in Colorado. They say it has significantly cut down on order problems.
My bank put in video teller ATM machines. It would only dispense $100 bills instead of $20's unless you asked the video teller. When I did she asked "where are you located?" Turns out the video teller is 600 miles away.

I did manage to go up the chain and get the ATMs changed to dispense $5, $10, and $20 bills without asking the video teller. Upper management was obviously not aware someone had implemented that to make it appear customers preferred the human interaction with video tellers.

My bank put in video teller ATM machines. It would only dispense $100 bills instead of $20's unless you asked the video teller. When I did she asked "where are you located?" Turns out the video teller is 600 miles away.

I did manage to go up the chain and get the ATMs changed to dispense $5, $10, and $20 bills without asking the video teller. Upper management was obviously not aware someone had implemented that to make it appear customers preferred the human interaction with video tellers.
Our machine here will give $20 and $5, so if you need a specific amount - like to pay the yard guy - you have to do a little math first.

I would think that the teller on the other end would know exactly where you are because they should know the location of where that machine is that they are speaking through. Besides, what difference does it make where you were located? Do they have a rule, "No $10 bills for people in Mississippi?"

I don't think I've encountered an ATM in modern history that dispenses anything less than $20's. Then again, I might withdraw cash one or two times per year.

Our machine here will give $20 and $5, so if you need a specific amount - like to pay the yard guy - you have to do a little math first.

I would think that the teller on the other end would know exactly where you are because they should know the location of where that machine is that they are speaking through. Besides, what difference does it make where you were located? Do they have a rule, "No $10 bills for people in Mississippi?"
Alexander Hamilton notoriously scuttled plans to locate the Treasury Department over a Piggly Wiggly in downtown Yazoo City, Mississippi. So, to answer your question, anything, to include the $10.00 bill, with Hamilton’s likeness is banned in Mississippi. Aaron Burr was really upset about it as well.

I don't think I've encountered an ATM in modern history that dispenses anything less than $20's. Then again, I might withdraw cash one or two times per year.
I usually carry ~$100 on me and try to pay cash for everything that can be paid with a $20 bill. Keeps me from having to track down a bunch of $3.48 and $14.12 charges every month when I balance.

I had been overseas in the Army for several years when folks transitioning in brought with them the sci-fi news from the world that there were these machines at banks where you could insert a card and it would dispense money and this channel on a TV, which you'd pay like $5.00 or $10.00 a month for, that had no commercials and only showed movies all day and night (HBO).

I usually carry ~$100 on me and try to pay cash for everything that can be paid with a $20 bill. Keeps me from having to track down a bunch of $3.48 and $14.12 charges every month when I balance.
I only use cash at vending machines which is rare. I pay for everything possible using the 2% cash back on my main credit card. Over a years time that adds up to over $1000 per year. And to keep myself under control I need that statement to see where my money is going.

But my wife is on a cash only allowance so I have to withdraw cash from an ATM at least monthly. Giving her a credit card is just like giving a bottle of whisky to an alcoholic.

We prefer paying with a credit card for the same reasons as TheBar. But if you travel to remote locations or other places with bad internet access, be prepared to pay cash. Quartzsite is full of vendors that only take cash because they have traditionally such bad internet access they can’t reliably process credit cards. We have encountered other places that give a 5% discount t for cash, so we use cash there too. We carry a reasonable amount in the motorhome safe.

I only use cash at vending machines which is rare. I pay for everything possible using the 2% cash back on my main credit card. Over a years time that adds up to over $1000 per year. And to keep myself under control I need that statement to see where my money is going.

But my wife is on a cash only allowance so I have to withdraw cash from an ATM at least monthly. Giving her a credit card is just like giving a bottle of whisky to an alcoholic.
I have all our monthly bills - internet, phone, water, electricity - charged to a major cash-back credit card every month. Every day purchases such as gas, groceries, spark plugs, etc, just get charged to the bank card. Except those purchases that can be paid for with a $20 bill, as I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom