Bread machine disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
My first loaf seems a bit dry to me. Can  I just increase the amount of water to make it moister or will that screw things up?

That will screw it up. .. However there is hope. Let me check something handy.

Opps not as  handy as I thought.. There is something you can change but I do not recall what.  Try Google; Bread too dry

You will get many suggestions,, Many  Too many for me to even try to list.

One suggestion was this: If the bread is dry and crumbly add water but only a few drops,  Just a couple drops can make a big difference.  You can add oil or butter too (Depending on what you are using)

SeilerBird said:
I don't want to follow recipes for a number of reasons. One of which is I don't have a lot of storage space in this RV to store a whole bunch of ingredients. I am a disaster in the kitchen so I want to keep it as simple as possible.
Yep, we really KNEAD to know what we are doing! :) ::)
J

One more easy tip: If you're having trouble with the bread maker walking, put a pad or towel under it. I use an old piece of thinsulate from our old backpacking days.

Tip #2: I usually drape a kitchen towel over the bread maker. Seems to help, probably helps maintain temperature.

Tip#3: Don't open the maker to often while it's doing it's job. You let out all the good warmth.

Have fun

Have been making bread machine bread for us for at least 10 yrs ever since we got an oster for christman one yr. Tin Man has it nailed for you and carries the jist of all my comments.

Just a few things-bread machines were a Japanese innovation and they were designed for their bread flour made mainly from Canadian high gluten wheat. gluten increases the amount of water that can be held in a loaf without the "gooey' factor arising and thus a softer loaf with a finer texture.

Not only temperature of the water can affect yeast performance but also temperature of the environment where you are baking-a friend set up his machine on a timer so he would have fresh bread at breakfast-forgot and left the kitchen window open a crack and in the morning he had a snow bank on the counter and a mess in the machine because the yeast couldn't "grow". I would assume in the US south in August, it is just as likely the temperature could get higher than the yeast can survive, especially if you set the timer to bake while you are away

Pre-mixes have me scared-you have no idea of the suitability or freshness of the ingredients and the producers of these products often try to compensate for low gluten (cheaper) flour by adding yeast enhancers and modifiers, all of which  have a shelf life and depend on the mix being kept absolutely dry so as to not 'pre-start' the reaction. better you buy the flour and start from the basic ingredients-flour, yeast, salt and sugar. And contrary to what has been posted, flour doesn't age in a negative manner. Keep it dry and the meal bugs out of it and it will last years, up to a dozen yrs in my experience.

Buy a jar of bread maker yeast out of the cooler section of the grocery and keep your yeast in your freezer, these generally have an expiry date of a few yrs so they won't get stale like envelope yeast-buy the best as with all ingredients. Even with top quality ingredients, a loaf only costs pennies.

I mix my salt and sugar and butter in the water before I add the flour(in my case 2 cups white, 1 and a half cups whole wheat) and then make a pocket for the yeast-but it is probably a personal habit-Tin Man knows of what he speaks.

Enjoy.

I'm with Redman and TinMan on making bread from scratch.  So much better.  While raising our family, I would bake 8 loaves every Saturday the old fashioned way. We ate one a day.  The first one was gone the day I baked as it came out of the oven.  :)  Humidity/dryness has a lot to do with how it's baked as is inside temps.  Age of flour as Redman says, not much of a problem, but certainly the age of yeast is, as is the temp of the water, should be warm enough so that when you put your finger in, it doesn't feel hot and it doesn't feel cold.  You just don't feel it at all.

Once the kids grew up and out, we bought the bread machine.  Loved it then and now.  I have found that no two loaves ever come out the same in one though.  Altitude will take some adjustments to the water, and timing, I think.  It's been a while, and I've not done much of it since we've moved to this altitude.  I also cover the top/sides with a good heavy towel while it is baking.  I also learned that 1 tbsp of dried buttermilk in with the flour helps makes it rise better, and gives it a good texture.  Less holes like milk does.  You will soon learn to recognize when it is "right" by looking at it.  Once it shapes into a ball, it should be round and smooth with a slight shiny look to it.  If you were making by hand, you would stick a thumb slightly into the top and it should spring back.  But don't do that test in the bread machine, as all the heat will escape.  The smell while it's baking will drive you insane, as you've probably already found out.  Do NOT attempt to make bread while going down the road.  Like a cake, it does not like to be disturbed while rising.

You've already got it just about conquered.  You got one really nice looking loaf of bread already.  As others have said, wheat, rye and some of the others will not rise as much as white bread does.  Keep playing and experimenting with it.  You will finally like one or more that you really like.  Also, make a couple in one day.  Double bag one and freeze it.  Pop it out when you don't feel like running down to the store.  I used to be able to make one loaf for less than 10 cents, but that was about 20/30 years ago.....  ;D ;D ;D

Daisy

P. S.  I always used King Arthur flour as it was not refined as much as regular flour.  Other brands now make flour for bread machines, but I still like King Arthur the best. 

Daisy

Tried making English muffins this morn...pretty good after I got the temp and cooking times right. Still uses a yeast dough like bread but only one rise after they are cut out into circles.

Yes,  but THERE will be a day, trust me on this one!!!! ;)

Daisy

Chet,  I think I will be trying the buns.  I'd like to find a recipe for New England style hot dog buns.  The are baked into one long rectangur loaf and sliced half way and all the way.  Then you can grill them.  Only have found them in northeast.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/06/27/hot-dog-this-bun-pan-does-double-duty/

OK, one quick search yielded this.  Now where do i find a pan and one that would fit in an RV oven?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/classic-new-england-hotdog-bun-pan#reviews

15 1/2" long, by 6" wide.  I miss these rolls, and just wouldn't ship all that well.  Now to measure my oven.

I just put another mix package in the machine. I am doing a few things slightly differently. I greased the inside of the baking pan with olive oil. I made sure all the ingredients were at room temperature. Last time I set it for a 1 1/2 pound loaf and then I set the menu to Whole wheat. I failed to notice that this set it back to 2 pounds so this time I set the controls in the right order. I will check it for stickyness and add a bit of water if necessary. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

If the dough is sticky, then it already has too much water. Try adding a teaspoon of flour (if you have any). If the dough is dry, then add a tiny bit of water, less than a teaspoon. With the experimenting you're doing, you might as well go all the way and buy ingredients to make bread from scratch.

Wendy said:
If the dough is sticky, then it already has too much water. Try adding a teaspoon of flour (if you have any). If the dough is dry, then add a tiny bit of water, less than a teaspoon. With the experimenting you're doing, you might as well go all the way and buy ingredients to make bread from scratch.
I have the feeling there is a pool going on and the person who talks me into making bread from scratch wins all the money. Put me down for never so I can win the money.

Except for the box and the yeast you are making bread from scratch.  I cannot believe you do not have flour in your MH as well as salt milk and sugar.  Granted not many people carry yeast. 

When all else fails, read the directions.  This is not rocket science.  I am sure the machine came with a basic white bread recipe.  Don't worry about type of flour.  All purpose will do for now.. Buy a packet of yeast, and I am sure the bride has the rest of the ingredients in the cabinets. 

Measure out ingredients put in bowls. the French call this Mise en place (meaning put in place). 

All ingredients even the liquid!!!!

You will have much success if you prepare all your recipes this way.

This is what you have grand children for (little slaves) they can do the preparation with adult supervision!

Than add the ingredients as per recipe. 

You are not going to Mars just the kitchen..

The grand children can brag that they made the bread, and in reality they did, they did the hard work, and the machine did the rest.

Bon Appetit

Bill, I have filled the small freezer in the coach with those hot dog buns as there is no substitute when you want to make lobster rolls.  I found good frozen lobster from Maritime Canadian packing plants in the frozen food sections even in Arizona.  But, once we leave the Maritimes, and pass New England, it is impossible to find those buns.

Ed

Tin man said:
Except for the box and the yeast you are making bread from scratch.  I cannot believe you do not have flour in your MH as well as salt milk and sugar.  Granted not many people carry yeast.
I don't have flour, I don't have milk and I don't have sugar. I am not interested in making bread from scratch. Making it with the mix is hard enough. 
When all else fails, read the directions.  This is not rocket science.  I am sure the machine came with a basic white bread recipe.  Don't worry about type of flour.  All purpose will do for now.. Buy a packet of yeast, and I am sure the bride has the rest of the ingredients in the cabinets. 
Not rocket science for you, but it is rocket science for me. And I don't have a bride. The only female here is my cats.
This is what you have grand children for (little slaves) they can do the preparation with adult supervision!
I think that since I never had any children the odds of me having any grand children is greatly reduced.
You are not going to Mars just the kitchen..

Nope, just the moon. How much is the pool up to now?

The loaf I made today came out just perfect. Nice and chewy, not dry at all. Great flavor and texture. Next step will be to order some white bread MIX.

Tom

No flour borrow some..  No slaves (children) borrow some..  No wife oh you get the picture..

When you buy the box except for the box it is a scratch recipe.  They just did every thing for you. They supplied the ingredients and the slaves. 

You are making a scratch loaf!!!

You still have to open the box and put it together. 

Give yourself credit..

I'll bet you even know where to go to buy the box and how much a quart of milk costs.

Not many men can do that.

Now can I introduce you to Aunt Jemima pancake mix?

By the way she and Uncle Ben gave a beautiful eulogy at the Pillsbury Doughboy's funeral.

The Keebler Elves were the pall bearers.

Tomorrow I will introduce you to Mussels in Bloody Mary Mix.

I am failing to see any reason why I would want to complicate this process and make the bread from scratch. There just is not any advantage to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardp
Back
Top Bottom