Canadians wanting to move to California - good idea or bad???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=Tom and Margi]Tom's family crossed Donner Summit in a wagon train.  Mine arrived in CA in 1910 via the early railroad.[/quote]

Thanks Margi. Didn't know either of those facts.

The bashing of California has become the "thing" for some who have either never been here or have only viewed the state through a narrow, stereotypical, cliched vision.  It's their loss and their missed opportunity.

Great point.   
Edit: Fixed quote.

Tom and Margi said:
...The bashing of California has become the "thing" for some who have either never been here or have only viewed the state through a narrow, stereotypical, cliched vision.  It's their loss and their missed opportunity. 

Margi

The FACTS that I posted about California (and were removed, apparently by a moderator) were based on both my direct observations and by reports from the many friends I have living all over the State. The FACT is, California is an expensive State to live in, no matter where in California one lives. Taxes are higher, prices are higher, unemployment is higher, government regulation is higher, etc. The FACT is I can live cheaper in AZ and visit CA several times a year than I can living in CA. In fact, I just can't afford to live in CA, period, on my income. If CA is such a great place to live, why are so many people selling their property and moving to other States like AZ and OR? Most people I know there would move if it wasn't for jobs and family.

This is NOT bashing CA (nor was my deleted post).  These are hard FACTS. CA is a beautiful State. Much of it has beautiful weather. There are a lot of things to do there (one of the reasons I visit so much). If I could afford it and could put up with the excessive Govenment regulation (much of which is, sadly, necessary due to the high population), the failing infrastructure (highways, utilities, etc.), the overworked and understaffed law enforcement agencies, etc. I would move there in a heartbeat. And anyone contemplating moving to CA needs to know the full facts, not a sugar coated version.

The FACTS that I posted about California (and were removed, apparently by a moderator) ..... This is NOT bashing CA (nor was my deleted post).

Your message wasn't deleted, nor were your comments removed. This discussion became a lightning rod for anti-California comments, so I split them off into their own discussion here.

Moved to California in 1977 and have not wanted to leave since.  Prices are higher and for most part so are wages.  Its a life style..some like it and some don't..I always say you get what you pay for.  Only 1800 people in our town and both highways into town are recently paved and in great shape...can't knock the weather.  Here we are with most of Canada and other US snow birds enjoying great weather in Palm Springs, great food, great shopping and haven't heard a single complaint..

Apologies accepted, thanks.

Go to your profile and click Show posts; All will be revealed.

FYI rarely do we feel the need to delete or remove messages here, unless they violate our forum rules (click the Rules button above for an explanation). We've pretty much had the same criteria for forum messages for the nearly 20 years we've been around.

BTW sometimes (but not always) when I split a topic and move messages, I'll post a message in the original topic explaining what I've done, and where to find the moved messages. I didn't do that in this case; Maybe I was trying to shield the original poster from all the hate-California discussion.

BTW the OP hasn't returned to view all the replies; We probably scared them off  ;)

[quote author=Tim Lassen]Only 1800 people in our town and both highways into town are recently paved and in great shape...can't knock the weather.[/quote]

Aye Tim, when we drove over the Sierras to get to your home, I had to keep reassuring the driver that there really was some civilization on the other side of the mountain  ;D

We live in a slightly larger community (also in California), but it's still out in the boonies. Tim, Marsha, and their poodle Charlie arrived at our home by boat  :eek:

Attachments

• Orwood_bridge.jpg
    Orwood_bridge.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 37
  • underway.jpg
    underway.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 31
  • arrival.jpg
    arrival.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 36
Tom said:
BTW sometimes (but not always) when I split a topic and move messages, I'll post a message in the original topic explaining what I've done, and where to find the moved messages. I didn't do that in this case; Maybe I was trying to shield the original poster from all the hate-California discussion.

BTW the OP hasn't returned to view all the replies; We probably scared them off  ;)

Well, I certainly didn't want to give the impression I hate CA and I'm sorry if I did. But it does have problems, most of which are expensive. Someone mentioned an alternative to living there fulltime; snowbirding. That my be more financially practical. For me, even though AZ isn't the cheapest place to live either, living in AZ and visting CA is more practical.

Btw, we have a lot of Canadian snowbirds in the Phoenix/ Mesa area, especially east Mesa.

Tom said:
Aye Tim, when we drove over the Sierras to get to your home, I had to keep reassuring the driver that there really was some civilization on the other side of the mountain  ;D

We live in a slightly larger community (also in California), but it's still out in the boonies. Tim, Marsha, and their poodle Charlie arrived at our home by boat  :eek:

Is that out on the Delta? That bridge with the counterweight hanging over the road looks mighty familiar.

Is that out on the Delta?

Yes it is, and there are numerous similar bridges on the Delta. But this one had special meaning to Tim; He's a retired railroad engineer, and worked on this bridge at some point in his career.

Have you ever thought about moving to Nevada?  Have to pitch the state I lived in for 33 years overall (went back to Pittsburgh for a couple of years in the 80s)...

You could get a steal of a deal on a home there.  A house in California selling for $350K...you could get the same kind of house in Vegas for probably $150K.  These are just guesstimates.  There was a housing crash there, in case you don't know.  ;)  Check out some of the values... www.realtor.com

Plus plenty to do there, of course.  You name it, Vegas has it.  You could go snow skiing in the morning, and go water skiing in the afternoon, if you so chose to.  And can get to LA in four hours or San Diego in five hours.

California, love it, but I wouldn't want to live there.  Crazy laws and pricey.  :p

Unsinkable777,

One BIG advantage that Nevada has over California is that there are NO state income taxes.

JerryF

The OP hasn't been back since first posting here. Hope we didn't scare them away, when all they did was ask a question  :(

Here is the observation about CA from the midwest. We watch House Hunters on TV and see young kids in their 30's buying homes that are 900 square feet for $400,000 plus. And its their FIRST home! When they get done, the epilogue shows them with a monthly mortgage payment of $2300!! For that little bitty house!! We always say.."I wonder what the heck they do for a living??"!! Then we shake our heads.  ???

Unfortunately, many people who are not familiar with the "real world" of California form their opinions of California from unrealistic TV shows.  Those shows are in it for the drama, not the facts.

Margi

I'm sorry I really wasn't going to say anything, but since Tom posted that the OP hasn't been back I thought I would say this...I think his first comment about loving California is why we are in the state we are in now...too many people and in deep debt.  I've lived here my entire life and although I think we will move out eventually...just too much equity not to.  I've seen the orchards leave and the foreigners move in.  It's still a beautiful place to live if you know where to go.  We live in a small rural town.  We can be at the coast in 30 min, SF in 45 (with good traffic!) and the BEAUTIFUL Sierras in 3 hrs!  Just my 2 cents worth...Quit bashing CA! 

Thanks, I'll quit my ranting now.    Mikie

Thank you all you helpful, friendly folks!! The OP is back and has read every word, finding it all very helpful and thought provoking (except the posts about guns! LOL).
Right now our home in BC is up for sale and we are getting closer to making our decisions, so I will probably be asking more and more questions.
Why are there so many "motor coach" resorts that don't allow nice 5th wheels??? Hardly seems fair!
We are also considering parks in Nevada and Arizona, after hearing so much about the high prices in CA.
Can't thank you all enough.
Be back soon,
Karen

Why are there so many "motor coach" resorts that don't allow nice 5th wheels???

Birds of feather??  Or not!  Some of "them" also have age restrictions, not on the people, but on the age of the coaches.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ladygadget
Back
Top Bottom