DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So after that BIG burrito, are you going to need a nap, or will you do some driving today?

Any wildlife around you at that rest stop?
I will drive away from here within the next half hour or so.

No doubt there is a lot of desert wildlife around me, but I have not seen any of it. Not looking for it either.

-Don- Eureka, NV

I am now at a little rest stop near Pioche, NV.

Out in the middle of nowhere, with 5 bars of 4G signal on my Verizon Hotspot. I didn't expect it to work at all out here, 80 miles between gas stations, being in about the middle of that now.

I will soon be in Utah, 33 miles (53km) from here. Then another 62 miles to Cedar City.

-Don- near Pioche, NV

Looks like I am getting kicked out of this RV park in the morning. They are packed full for the weekend. I told them to put me down for a week in case anybody cancels, but I think that is unlikely.

No big deal, I will just head for Flagstaff in the morning.

I hate weekends! But those are good days to add a lot of miles.

Flagstaff has plenty of things for me to do, even if I have done them all before, such as a hike down in Walnut Canyon National Monument.

Here, I just now got back from the local Wal*Mart. I like those 74-cent small apple, berry & lemon pies. I now have a bunch of them in my refrigerator and I just ate one. They do not require refrigeration, but I think they are better that way and should last longer.

These are the pies that cost 49 cents in my last RV trip. But with the rate of today's inflation, they are probably cheaper today than then. ;)

-Don- Cedar City, Utah

Yes, and I have been to several. But I will only take my Y2K RV down most of those unpaved roads, so I could be stuck with mostly RV parks for this trip. This Class A has very little ground clearance compared to my Class C.

I am now taking a lunch break here:

View attachment 168276

-Don- Page, AZ
Wow! The last time I went through that area was in 1976. I and a friend were on a trip after high school and driving my parent's 1973 Winnebago Indian. We stopped in Marble Canyon and gassed up because we were running low. We only got enough to get us a couple hundred miles to the next town because the Chevron station in Marble Canyon wanted $0.64 per gallon. What a rip-off. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I am in Flagstaff, and I have a spot in the KOA for a full week. Having no reservation was not a problem here, but I did see a "no vacancy" sign at an RV park on the way, just around five miles from here. So I was worried a bit until I came here, expecting them to be full, but I got the whole week.

And my KOA membership is still good until November. I have stayed in this one before--and got kicked out for the weekend. But that's how I discovered (on my electric motorcycle) a great place to boondock just south of Sunset Creator where they have room for a few thousand or so RVs.

It is night here now, all dark, , but still warm. I have all my windows open. it will be 80F during the day here tomorrow. And this is at 7,000' (2,135 m) elevation.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

Marble Canyon wanted $0.64 per gallon. What a rip-off.
The price of gasoline has been an issue our entire lives.

I clearly remember when I was filing up my motorcycle at the gas station at Scotty's Castle in Death Valley. I recall somebody screaming that the price there was 0.499 per gallon. Perhaps 1971? The going price far from there was around 21 or 22 cents per gallon.

But I can also recall when I was a little kid, my dad complaining to my mother that it cost three bucks to fill the car's empty gas tank.

But to be fair, those dimes then had silver in them. They are worth around $1.50 today in the silver alone. So three dollars in those dimes is $45.00 today. Still not enough to fill a gas tank these days.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

I took a short hike to see what the trails are like that leave from this KOA RV Park. There are many trails to choose from and there are signs on the trails. I will take a more serious hike on some of them later, perhaps tomorrow or Sunday.

1697853696067.jpeg
1697853746226.png
-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

Today, I took a ride to my favorite boondocking area near Flagstaff. I went there to check it out, as it has been years since I stayed there.

In the above link, scale in with the "+" and use "satellite view" and see the entire area.

The road is MUCH better than I remember, this Class A (with its very little ground clearance) can easily get there. Today, on a Saturday, I wanted to see how packed the place was. There is room for at least another 10,000 RVs. In case you think I am joking, decide for yourself with the photos below, as well as the link above.

We may legally park off the road in any of the areas shown below. And I am only showing a very small part of the area where we can boondock for free.

The location is 1.1 mile (1.8km) down an unpaved (but good) road. Forest Road 776 off of Highway US-89.

The exact location of where RVs may legally park starts at, in decimal degrees:
N35.328573°
W111.524231°

1697921961059.png

1697921996736.png

1697922052989.png

1697922108014.png

1697922180799.png

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

Last edited:
That looks like a nice area. It looks clean. I've seen free places that people turn into a dumping ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom