DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I googled that boondocking place on google maps, there is a place called:

Flagstaff Hazardous Products Center just south of there. What is that place?

When I googled that boondocking place on google maps, there is a place called:

Flagstaff Hazardous Products Center just south of there. What is that place?
When I was working for F&W back in the mid-90's, there was a yearly free drop-off area for hazardous waste. We had just acquired a new wildlife area that had been a dairy farm for almost 100 years and there were barrels of liquid stored in the barns that we had no idea what some of them were. So, when the free drop-off date came around we loaded up a trailer full of barrels and took them in. The hazmat people had no idea what to do with them but they were required to take them. It turned out a lot of the barrels were full of carbon tetrachloride and trichloroethylene (TCE). Those were old-school chemicals used in dry cleaning. I have no idea why a dairy would be storing that kind of stuff.

There were also old glass bulbs in wall-holders that contained the same chemical(s). In a fire, the heat would break the glass bulbs and the chemical acted as a fire retardant. Or you could take it down and toss it at the base of the fire manually.

1697997407449.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Any abuse (verbal or physical) directed towards HPC staff will not be tolerated
wonder what that's all about on that link.

I would rather spend that time admiring your pictures! Whatcha gonna do today?
This afternoon, I went for a four-mile hike (as the crow flies, as shown on my GPS). On the north end of this RV park I followed the power poles that go forever into the forest. Easy hike, impossible to get lost, just follow the poles on a wide dirt road path.

I did see one interesting thing. A little Regal Ringneck Snake (less than a foot long) not commonly seen during the day. But it got into the grass and disappeared before I could get to my camera.

Here is what the area looks like. I returned when I got to the large rock in the middle of the road:
hills.JPGpoles.JPGrock.JPG

There sure are a lot of trails that leave right from this KOA. One of these days, perhaps I will get up early and try a hike all the way to the Elden Lookout. That trail starts here also. But that could be a very tough hike for a 74-year-old.

But for tomorrow, I am trying to decide if I want to go the Walnut Canyon or Sunset Crater Nat'l Monument.

You may make the choice for me . . .

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

I vote for Walnut Canyon.

That place looks cool.

The link says it is a strenuous hike, so take your time.

Walnut Canyon gets my vote.

Remember there are bears out in those woods!
I have seen Black Bears a few times during my past hikes. I don't worry about them. I would worry a lot more about bears in Grizzly areas, which I am never hiking in anyway.

BTW, Paul who I am meeting in NM in a few days once had an interesting experience with a few black bear cubs, with the mother close by. During a backpacking trip, he was sleeping in a sleeping bag with no tent and woke up in the morning to a bear cub licking his face. The mother bear simply called for the cubs and left the area, so nothing more happened.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

I just read something funny in the Wiki link for the Regal Ringneck Snake:

They are among the larger of the ringneck snake subspecies, growing to a total length (including tail) of 20 to 87 cm (7.9 to 34.3 in).

Since a snake is pretty much all tail, where do they consider the dividing line? :LOL:

Since a snake is pretty much all tail, where do they consider the dividing line?
On all snakes, the tail starts at the vent.

With snakes, it's the total length that is measured. Tail and all.

With lizards, they are measured head to vent, including the CA legless lizard.

The difference between snakes and lizards is NOT the feet, but other things, such as snakes cannot blink their eyes, lizards can. Snakes have no ear openings, lizards do (there are rare exceptions, so it is not all that simple). Lizards can lose their tail and it grows back. Not the same with snakes.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

On all snakes, the tail starts at the vent.

With snakes, it's the total length that is measured. Tail and all.

With lizards, they are measured head to vent, including the CA legless lizard.

The difference between snakes and lizards is NOT the feet, but other things, such as snakes cannot blink their eyes, lizards can. Snakes have no ear openings, lizards do (there are rare exceptions, so it is not all that simple). Lizards can lose their tail and it grows back. Not the same with snakes.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ
I was making a funny, Don. I'm the wildlife guy, remember?

I went to Walnut Canyon today. Beautiful county! They type of habitat for the AZ Mtn Kingsnake. But I didn't see any, they prefer to crawl around on warn nights. But they also sometimes are seen during the day. But I assume there are many in that area.

Bring water for the hike back up. Steep steps.

Also, do not use your Garmin GPS as it will show a mailing address 0.3 miles from here. But the place is 8 miles in the opposite direction of here.

But it is shown accurately if you search on Foursquare.

The parking lot is at exactly (in decimal degrees):

N 35.172363
W111.509279

Even the address on their website (3 E Walnut Canyon Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86004) is a bit off on my GPS, but it will get you to the signs for the park.

In the next few messages, I will upload my photos of the place.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom