E-Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my opinion, two things will prevent E-RV's larger than perhaps class Bs from becoming anything more than a topic of conversation. First is the obvious, range of use. To most, an E-RV would be a novelty at best for those who weekend camp at the state park ten miles from their home (would be perfect for my SIL and BIL!). The second will be cost vs a fossil fuel rig. When you look at the average cost of an EV today being well in the $40K area, what would the cost comparison be with an E-RV? And, how many EVs bought today are only bought because of the huge government subsidies in the thousands of dollars that make them affordable to some? I doubt there would be the same gov't giveaways on RVs.

Down the road, I just wonder if the cost of EVs of any nature will totally price themselves out of practical use. I'm waiting for the horrors of lithium mining in Africa to become more well-known. Plus, when will we be held hostage to lithium like OPEC likes to play games?

I find it interesting that GM just announced the closure of two large battery factories and at the same time announced an $86 million expansion to two V8 engine plants.

"2 Big Limiting Factors to Electric RVs"

See here.

I hope it says something interesting because I have not yet read it. I am leaving right now for Auburn on my Zero DSR/X electric motorcycle.

I will read it when I get there in a couple of hours or so. I am taking the longer route in the CA mountains.

-Don- Reno, NV

"2 Big Limiting Factors to Electric RVs"

See here.

I hope it says something interesting because I have not yet read it. I am leaving right now for Auburn on my Zero DSR/X electric motorcycle.

I will read it when I get there in a couple of hours or so. I am taking the longer route in the CA mountains.

-Don- Reno, NV
Drive safe Don.

Drive safe Don.
I ride motorcycles like a little old lady. The main thing I worried about today was being out on those mountain roads at the time of deer-thirty.

I stopped for a late lunch at Cisco Grove, CA (on I-80) just before turning on to CA Hwy 20. Since there is a J-1772 charge plug there, I decided to change up while having lunch. An "opportunity charge" as I can make it all the way here from Reno on a home charge.

A Chevy Bolt pulls up to the CCS charger right next to my J-1772. The ChargePoints located here. The Bolt was black, and I was wondering what year it was, I couldn't tell. So I asked. He replied with "I hate this car!" So then I asked what type of trouble he has had, and he says "none at all, I discovered I hate all EVs after I purchased this!". He left and didn't even want to talk about it. I never did find what year it was. Or what his reasoning was. I feel the opposite with my Chevy Bolt. Very fun car to drive. Telsa, IMO, is more for serious driving such as you do all across Canada. The Bolt is more for the everyday type of driving.

Anyway, I read the complete article about the E-motorhome and I agree with almost everything. One thing I did not agree with is comparing prices to ICE. Do people who buy a Rolls Royce compare the price to a Volts Wagon before the purchase? Do they compare the MPG to each before they buy? I kinda doubt it. Not everything in this world is about money and there are countless people who have more money than they know what to do with. So one mistake I think they are making with EV motorhomes is trying to keep the price down. These should be considered toys for the rich for now. IOW, put a battery that has at least a 600-mile range in it and jack up the price to whatever it takes. IMAO, it's a big mistake to try to keep the prices down--for now.

If Tesla can make the 18-wheeler semi-truck, with a 500-mile range, and only costs $200,000, somebody should be able to make something like that into an RV. That is only 35K$ more than my Class A cost me. But that is still way too cheap. Make it at least a $350,000.00 E-motorhome. Still cheaper than many ICE motorhomes, but that they should not be concerned with. Make the E-motorhome extra good with the price to follow. Whatever it takes to make it reasonable and decent for today's world.

Long range is important when there are not enough charge stations. And there isn't yet for such large vehicles. If they can fit in enough batteries in an RV to give it a thousand-mile range, they should, IMO. It is expected to cost some bucks. Remember what the first digital watches cost? In 1972, the going price was $2,100.00 in 1972 dollars. That is $15,357.68 in today's money. Were they then worried about selling these to the middle class? I kinda doubt it! Buy one today for ten bucks.

Anyway, these E-motorhomes should now be made for the rich, not that 100-mile range nonsense trying to compete with the price of ICE vehicles. The cost of double is not nearly enough. Make them a lot better instead!

-Don- Auburn, CA

I find it interesting that GM just announced the closure of two large battery factories and at the same time announced an $86 million expansion to two V8 engine plants.
It now sounds like they made a big mistake. See here.

"US Car Market Shrunk In 2022 But EV Sales Went Up By Two Thirds"

"Projections say the number of electric vehicles sold in the US will surpass the 1-million mark in 2023."

-Don- Auburn, CA

Don's point just doesn't add up. For one he talks about "just adding batteries" until the range can get up to 1000 miles. What he neglects to point out is the weight of all those additional batteries "to get up to 1000 miles.

Don also forgets the common rule of the economy of scale when saying they should just build the E-motorhome regardless of what the ultimate price will be because there are all kinds of rich people that will buy them. Really? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of buying a custom Newell, Prevost, or any "build one of a kind" custom builder that already exists?
And, let's face, it how many millionaires do you encounter at your local campground driving million-dollar plus rigs? Who in their right mind would invest in a vehicle that might take you only a couple of hundred miles down the road and then wait how many hours or days to recharge the massive battery bank at the campground 30A pedestal?

I know folks from So. Cal have a whole different point of view on EVs in general and I get that. But I don't yet see the reality of large class A E- motorhomes being nothing more than fantasy for those of that mindset.

Don's point just doesn't add up. For one he talks about "just adding batteries" until the range can get up to 1000 miles. What he neglects to point out is the weight of all those additional batteries "to get up to 1000 miles.

Don also forgets the common rule of the economy of scale when saying they should just build the E-motorhome regardless of what the ultimate price will be because there are all kinds of rich people that will buy them. Really? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of buying a custom Newell, Prevost, or any "build one of a kind" custom builder that already exists?
And, let's face, it how many millionaires do you encounter at your local campground driving million-dollar plus rigs? Who in their right mind would invest in a vehicle that might take you only a couple of hundred miles down the road and then wait how many hours or days to recharge the massive battery bank at the campground 30A pedestal?

I know folks from So. Cal have a whole different point of view on EVs in general and I get that. But I don't yet see the reality of large class A E- motorhomes being nothing more than fantasy for those of that mindset.
I don’t know about class A motorhomes. But the commercial chassis already exists for a Super C Motorhome that can do 800 kilometres a day and charge in 40minutes at commercial facilities.

But two challenges.

1. Actually buying one is next to impossible as all production is reserved for the next 5 years.

2. There is no public commercial mega charging network in place yet so one would have to shoe horn themselves into tesla or public DC fast chargers which are 3 to 4 times slower. And hard to get into with anything but a car or E half ton.

For some it would work anyway as many of us travel a day and spend 3 to 5 days touring an area before moving on. Lots of time to charge at a campgrounds L2 facilities which is definitely getting more common.

Still, I tend to agree. We are a decade away from any serious large EV Motorhome manufacturing. But the tech already exists.

8B7B5A52-FCCC-413C-B253-B0EFFCEAC807.jpeg

And, let's face, it how many millionaires do you encounter at your local campground driving million-dollar plus rigs?
Well, I was BSing with a guy who owned such when I was last at the Sonoran Desert RV Park in Gila Bend, AZ. He had his own business, made millions and retired young. All I remember now is it was a new 45' Diesel Pusher with a large Harley being towed, which is what started the conversation with him. So such does exist, but of course not many are sold. Just like very few purchased that digital watch in 1972.

Tesla started out with very expensive cars and look where they are today. IMO, there is enough rich people to buy such things.

And for the weight of the batteries, of course they are heavy. And probably always will be, but you get more range with more KWHs regardless of the added weight. If 500 miles range was difficult, Tesla would not have their large Semi.

Although heavy, some issues are automatically solved, such as needing more braking power. Regen takes care of that. Brakes are rarely used in most EVs. On my Chevy Bolt, it shows, on the main screen, the increasing KWs to the battery as I press harder on the brake. Perhaps it will take a panic stop for the brake to engage at the brake pads.

I keep my Tesla on "one pedal driving". Means it increases the deceleration regen at low speeds so (usually) no need to touch the brake pedal to stop.

But yeah, it will be heavy, perhaps heavier than large diesel RVs. That doesn't make it not possible. Probably makes it a lot more stable in the heavy winds, however.

And if you think the weight will reduce the performance much, it proves you have never driven an EV up a hill. They don't notice hills with all that torque.

-Don- Auburn, CA

But the tech already exists.
That must be the very heavy Tesla truck carrying seven of those very heavy Teslas to a Tesla dealer.

I have never seen that photo before. But if such a large vehicle passes me up a hill when I have the pedal to the metal when I am in my ICE Class A, I will then know what passed me ;) .

-Don- Auburn, CA

That must be the very heavy Tesla truck carrying seven of those very heavy Teslas to a Tesla dealer.

I have never seen that photo before. But if such a large vehicle passes me up a hill when I have the pedal to the metal when I am in my ICE Class A, I will then know what passed me ;) .

-Don- Auburn, CA
Heh heh. Tesla currently has a project on the books to connect the three Giga factories with 18 mega chargers. (Texas, Nevada and California). They were asked to open it to the public and agreed…for 100 million bucks. 😂. Should be fun to watch the development.

But the tech already exists.
Do you know where that photo was taken? The more I look at it, the more it looks like a couple of kms from my old house in South San Francsico. The hill looks exactly like San Bruno Mountain that I used to live under.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Do you know where that photo was taken? The more I look at it, the more it looks like a couple of kms from my old house in South San Francsico. The hill looks exactly like San Bruno Mountain that I used to live under.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Not sure Don.

Not sure Don.
I am now sure. I see the SF Bay just the right of the hill. I recognize that wall also. A railroad track on the other side. That photo was taken on Railroad Ave, in zip 94080. I could walk from my old SSF house to that very spot.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I just noticed the cybpertruck being carried on it. I guess those are now getting to the Tesla dealers. For those who ordered a few years ago . . .

-Don- Auburn, CA

I just noticed the cybpertruck being carried on it. I guess those are now getting to the Tesla dealers. For those who ordered a few years ago . . .

-Don- Auburn, CA
Sort of. But none of them are production models. They are all production candidates. There have been about 45 made but at least a dozen are for crash testing so I’m told.

Deliveries probably not till December.

Good shot for an idea of size though. It is slightly shorter than an F150 but has a slightly longer box.

Tesla started out with very expensive cars and look where they are today. IMO, there is enough rich people to buy such things.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I have zero against EV's, and although I could afford it at $42,000 for the base model I wouldn't exactly call that cheap, mostly because it does nothing that I need in a vehicle other than go from Point A to Point B. If that is all a person needs or wants in a vehicle there are less expensive alternatives available.

I have zero against EV's, and although I could afford it at $42,000 for the base model I wouldn't exactly call that cheap, mostly because it does nothing that I need in a vehicle other than go from Point A to Point B. If that is all a person needs or wants in a vehicle there are less expensive alternatives available.
Sure. But I think base model 3’s are around 37000 USD now.

As well they are pretty cheap to run if one can charge at home.

And way more fun to drive. 😱

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom