Ever been searched? (your RV that is)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 10 years ago I was pulled over on I-55 just east of St. Louis after an unmarked Illinois highway patrol SUV entered the freeway in front of me. He pulled ahead to check out a commercial truck, then slowed down and waited for me to pass him before pulling me over. Being a single person in an older Class A with California plates I guess I fit the profile of drug runners along that stretch of highway. He gave me the choice of having my car and RV searched or getting a ticket for making an unsafe pass. It was a windy day and a gust pushed me towards him shortly after completing the pass, I recovered and waited until there were several more car lengths between us before returning to his lane.

The search took the better part of an hour on the side of the road and he was joined by a K-9 unit, another patrol car and eventually a supervisor showed up. After a few minutes the supervisor apologized profusely and told me I was free to go, but before I left I was sure to get everyone's name and badge number. I never heard anything more about it.

I have stopped at those border area checkpoints near El Paso on I-10 before, but have never been searched, just the usual 2 or 3 questions, what is your citizenship, where are you heading, etc. Last time I was there in 2019 I think it was only 1 question, the guy asked if I was traveling alone, I told him yes that my wife flew home from Arizona and I was trying to stay ahead of the winter storm, he waved me on through and did not even say a word.
I have been through that checkpoint near El Paso more times than I can count.
The first time was back when I was 7. Dad got transferred from Edwards AFB to Redstone Arsenal.
We were driving at night because it was hot through the west in the day time.
Mom was driving, Dad was sleeping. It was US 90 then. When the guy asked Mom where we were going she said Alabama. He then asked "What Nationality are you all?"
She paused a second, and then said, "Why, Americans, of course."
He shook his head, and waved us on through.

Last edited:
We were searchd at Oroville WA, she found a tomato we had neglected to eat and confiscated it. I hope she enjoyed it with her lunch. Another time I got the third degree at Lynden, crewcut was suspicious that I was traveling alone and wanted to know where my wife was. I was single at the time. Then he found some chaff from a hay bale I had neglected to sweep out, that got me parked and sent inside. The second obviously more experienced agent thought it was funny.

We've traveled for 20 years and never searched except as part of an international border crossing, and even that was perfunctory. Have had fresh fruits confiscated at US/Canada border, though. However, any indication that guns or other weapons may be present can trigger a much more indepth inspection. A friend traveling with us had received a permit to bring a shotgun into Canada (totally legit) and was detained/searched for an hour anyway.

Generally speaking, neither your vehicle nor your RV home can be searched without due cause unless you give permission. Of course, if you deny permission at a checkpoint, you can be turned back.
That is wrong. The border patrol can stop and search you and your vehicle without reason within at the border. YOU CANNOT REFUSE

At the Border Crossing​

At the U.S./Mexico border, CBP has extremely broad powers to search vehicles. At primary inspection, the officer will assess not only your legal status to enter the U.S., but also whether you are bringing any type of contraband into the U.S. Your vehicle may be subjected to radiation detection, a dog may sniff your car, and an officer may also look around your vehicle or knock on your vehicle to check for hidden contraband or compartments.

The officer at primary inspection may send a vehicle to secondary inspection for a more thorough search. Legally, the officer does not need to prove that he/she had any type of suspicion of unlawful conduct when referring the car to secondary. In secondary, the officers can perform an intrusive search of your vehicle, including dismantling the gas tank, doors etc. and have no legal obligation to establish that there was any reasonable suspicion that the car contained contraband and regardless of the level of inconvenience or delay it may cause to you.

One of the few limitations against suspicionless searches is against those that would cause some type of permanent damage to the vehicle, like drilling holes. Here, an officer could be required to show that their actions were reasonable, but still, the bar is quite low.

At the checkpoints is a little tougher
These are the checkpoints you may see on roads leading away from the border. Many people pass through the immigration checkpoints that have not recently crossed the border. At times the officer may merely glance at the car and wave the driver through and sometimes checkpoints are closed altogether. Although the primary purpose of these checkpoints is supposed to be for the enforcement of immigration laws, CBP is permitted to investigate other suspected criminal activity at these checkpoints, with some limitations.

When an officer stops a vehicle at a checkpoint, they are supposed to use the time during this first encounter to determine that the occupants of the car are not violating immigration laws. The officer need not suspect that the driver is violating any law in order to stop the vehicle. The officer is then tasked with assessing if the driver and occupants are violating any immigration laws. Within that short time required to assess immigration status, the officer can also assess whether the occupants of the vehicle are violating drug laws (or potentially other criminal activity). In other words, while one officer is asking you immigration questions, another officer could run a drug detection dog around your vehicle.

Similar to CBP authority at the border, the CBP officer at a checkpoint can send a vehicle to secondary inspection without reasonable suspicion, but only for additional screening related to the violation of immigration laws. In order to send a vehicle to secondary inspection at a checkpoint for drug interdiction purposes, the officer must have gathered enough evidence in the short time of the immigration stop to develop reasonable suspicion that the vehicle’s occupants were violating drug laws. Granted, this is still a relatively low bar, but it recognizes more of a privacy expectation at a checkpoint than at a border crossing. Additionally, officers must establish the higher standard of probable cause in order to search a vehicle at a checkpoint, which is vastly different from the standard at the border.
Notice the bold above without reasonable suspicion they can pull you for secondary inspection for violating immagration law. They may search for hidden illegal aliens without your consent and WHATEVER THEY FIND EVEN IF NOT RELATED TO ALIEN ACTIVITY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU

Don't go into Canada
Tom & I have never been searched going into Canada.

Tom & I have never NOT been searched coming back into the USA from Canada.

Tom (who passed five years ago from liver cancer) & I have been to eastern as well as western Canada countless times in our RV.

I have not been back to Canada since.

But I think the USA side doesn't like seeing two guys in an RV up front. Perhaps they expect we are drug runners or whatever. Especially since Tom was Chinese and I am not. But we were just a legally married same sex couple--together since 1974.

They search us as people as well. Not just the RV. But their attitude would always change when they checked us out on the their computer system and discovered we both had to be as clean as possible for the jobs we had with local governments. We each had to have Background checks every few years. They then became more friendly, as the report gets to them that their drug sniffing dogs found nothing interesting in our RV.

I don't think all this ever even took an hour of our time.

But going to Canada was always the easy part. A few questions about firearms and such and where we are going and stuff like that. Coming back to the USA was the more difficult part.

-Don- Reno, NV

Wondering if anyone here has ever been pulled over and had their RV searched by the authorities? We've been through a few agricultural checkpoints where we were waved through after a few basic questions but I expect that would be one place where they might do random inspections?

Nothing more than curiosity mind you-- not considering carrying anything objectionable! :)
Coming
About 10 years ago I was pulled over on I-55 just east of St. Louis after an unmarked Illinois highway patrol SUV entered the freeway in front of me. He pulled ahead to check out a commercial truck, then slowed down and waited for me to pass him before pulling me over. Being a single person in an older Class A with California plates I guess I fit the profile of drug runners along that stretch of highway. He gave me the choice of having my car and RV searched or getting a ticket for making an unsafe pass. It was a windy day and a gust pushed me towards him shortly after completing the pass, I recovered and waited until there were several more car lengths between us before returning to his lane.

The search took the better part of an hour on the side of the road and he was joined by a K-9 unit, another patrol car and eventually a supervisor showed up. After a few minutes the supervisor apologized profusely and told me I was free to go, but before I left I was sure to get everyone's name and badge number. I never heard anything more about it.
Coming back from a fishing resort in Canada. Always leave a 1 inch piece of skin on your fish and keep your fishing licence until you're back in US. They checked out my cooler, refrigerator and freezer.

About 15 years ago they had check points set up at Hoover dam and looked in the pickup and trailer before crossing the dam.

Border Patrols DO NOT need your permission

Courts in both the U.S. and Canada have granted customs agents VERY extensive rights to search, without probable cause, literally anything you have with you when you cross the U.S. / Canadian border.
Right, but that's at the border. Essentially being there, with intent to cross, constitutes probable cause for a search. The further you get from the actual border, the greater the onus on Border Patrol LEOs to have a credible "probable cause". e.g. a reason to believe you have contraband of illegal immigrants onboard. What constitutes probable cause is a gray area that can only be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Funny-but-scary border crossing incident: Returning from a week long fishing trip in Canada back around 1990, my buddy & I crossed near Buffalo, NY. We weren't bringing any fish back, so the questions by the US border agent were routine until we mentioned that we had just stopped in Toronto for a meal and visit some book shops. "Books? You bought books? Point to where the books are and then stand back!!!" With that, two agents dug into our gear & suitcases to make sure we weren't bringing any illegal books into the USA! Yes, there is a rather lengthy list of books banned in the USA, and not just bomb recipes. Several of my favorite British military history authors have books on that list. Apparently opinions that conflict with America's self-image are ubject to seizure at the border. Sound familiar?

When we bought our first coach in 1998, it was purchased out of state and had temp CA plates. We wound up traveling for 6 months with those plates. Were on the east coast to pick up our car and trailer and decided to travel back toward home thru Canada and went thru Canadian customs near Plattsburg, NY. We were towing our trailer and car, which had NY plates on them and the temp plates weren't very visible. We had a perfunctory discussion with the border inspectors, turned in our bananas and were waived thru.
A couple of years later we again went thru the same Canadian customs but now had our AZ plate on the rear, same trailer and car but also AZ plates. Tough grilling by customs and thorough search; the agents wanted to see our safe ("all RVers have safes") and where were our guns ("everyone in AZ has a gun".) Finally convinced the agents we had no safe and never owned a gun.

searched once crossing Hoover Dam in Motor home
Once going into canada in my car
once on the side of the road by an Idiot cop who thought my car resembled one that was involved in a crime (IT did not as it was 100% Unique)

searched once crossing Hoover Dam in Motor home
Once going into canada in my car
once on the side of the road by an Idiot cop who thought my car resembled one that was involved in a crime (IT did not as it was 100% Unique)
The cop was not an IDIOT. He was justifying the stop in case he found anything in your car, This is a procedure followed by all police agencies, they find a reason to pull you over so they can search your possessions without real justifiable cause. It usually will stand up in court. If asked NEVER ALLOW THE POLICE to search your vehicle without a warrant, but do not resist them if the search anyway. The warrant has to state the reason in writing they are searching your vehicle. This will allow a lawyer to protect your rights if anything is found that may not be illegal but cops want to take it. For example for a few years New Jersey was stopping vehicles and asking to search then confiscating ANY gun, Long rifle etc they found. Even if legally possessed they would take it and then it would be an expensive fight to get it back.

Returning from Canada across the bridge at Sault Ste. Marie and at the US side stopped for the usual inspection. Officer?? asked if my license plate was "real" ( It Says "RUFCMPN".). I asked,, it says Utah doesn't it?? DUHHH I never saw one like that.!! >>>Dan

Ran into a rooadworks flagger in the Redwoods one day and he said how come Canadian border guys were nice and American border guys asses, and we laughed as we found it the complete opposite the American border guys were great, he had benn searched times each time by US border patrol
Before I retired I had to travel to our Canadian plant frequently either thru Buffalo or Detroit to train their workers. I always found the Canadian guards friendly and light hearted, especially when they were less busy around midnight. But coming back the US guards were usually dead serious without a smile. Maybe Canadians are more friendly to US citizens and vice versa.

One problem with entering Canada on a business trip was I had to say I was entering Canada for them to train me and never say I was going there to train Canadians or I would be turned around. While I was in the plant I could only offer "helpful advice" to individuals. A real PITA when I needed to teach 100 people to operate various robotic equipment of my design.

But Mexico was the polar opposite. Did have to fill out a visa but they were happy to have us there for any legal reason. Totally changed my perspective of Mexico. I found their 200+ people to be very hard working and over the top friendly and courteous. To the point where everyone I had any contact with went out of their way to say "Bueno" every morning and say good night every night. Even many strangers on the street. As one of the few who traveled there our president appointed me as the Mexico liaison. All emails had to start with "Good morning (+their name)" and end with "Hope you have a great day" or something similar before I forwarded them to the proper person. It is the custom in Monterrey. Another surprise was most understand English from watching US TV shows even if they are not able to speak English.

Finally convinced the agents we had no safe and never owned a gun.
I told them we own MANY guns, as we collected them for many years. Since around 1975 and I have six large gun safes in this house alone. And for quite a while, I had way too many guns than would fit in the safes so I recently sold a bunch of them, Around 35K$ worth. I sold them by the truckload to a FFL. I still kept all my favorites, such as this Vietnam commemorative AR15 which has not been available for years. What it is worth is unknown today because of that.

VNComAR15.jpg

They (Canadian border guards) then asked us when was the last time I had a firearm in my RV and I said "never" which was true at the time. Then they let us proceed into Canada.

Since then, I have been carrying a .45 in the safe. I made that decision after I was broken down overnight in CA waiting for a shop to open in what seemed like a rather unsafe possible high crime area.

So now I always carry a firearm, left in the well hidden RV safe, since I never go out of the country any more. But I still can as I always have my passport in the same safe, but I would take my electric motorcycle without the gun but with the passport. I thought about riding into Mexico a few times since I am often close to it, such as last Nov/Dec when I was at OPCNM, AZ, Yuma and other such places very close to Mexico. But never did, as I always found enough other things to do.

-Don- Reno, NV

If asked NEVER ALLOW THE POLICE to search your vehicle without a warrant, but do not resist them if the search anyway.
That tactic rarely if ever works. Vehicles have a much lower right of privacy than a dwelling, or even your RV because it's mobile. The the LEO has a reasonable suspicion that you, or something in your car is related to a crime, courts have held over and over that the search is reasonable. Now if a piano was just stolen and the LEO wants to search your glove box, that would be unreasonable. If you in fact know that you are innocent of anything, it is usually much easier to go with the program. You can object and withdraw consent at any time, but being a vehicle it may not matter.

We can "what if" it to death. Odds probably better to be struck by lightening than any of us ever being subjected to a full blown vehicle search (other than at a border crossing).

The cop was not an IDIOT. He was justifying the stop in case he found anything in your car,

No. The Cop was indeed an idiot bit there is a whole lot more to the story I'm not telling. and as I said my care had a few features that I can guaranteed no other car in the state. if not the world. had..

That tactic rarely if ever works. Vehicles have a much lower right of privacy than a dwelling, or even your RV because it's mobile. The the LEO has a reasonable suspicion that you, or something in your car is related to a crime, courts have held over and over that the search is reasonable. Now if a piano was just stolen and the LEO wants to search your glove box, that would be unreasonable. If you in fact know that you are innocent of anything, it is usually much easier to go with the program. You can object and withdraw consent at any time, but being a vehicle it may not matter.

We can "what if" it to death. Odds probably better to be struck by lightening than any of us ever being subjected to a full blown vehicle search (other than at a border crossing).
I was telling people not to give up their rights to reasonable search. If you allow the search then you have given up your rights. I said do not interfere if they choose to search anyway, this way your rights are protected, once you consent you have lost the right

That tactic rarely if ever works. Vehicles have a much lower right of privacy than a dwelling, or even your RV because it's mobile.
I have heard here before, you are NOT mobile as long as you are all connected up at an RV park. You are only considered mobile when you have no hookups.

-Don- in hot Cold Springs Valley, NV (101F/39C ).

Back
Top Bottom