Ever been searched? (your RV that is)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was telling people not to give up their rights to reasonable search. If you allow the search then you have given up your rights. I said do not interfere if they choose to search anyway, this way your rights are protected, once you consent you have lost the right
If there is nothing illegal in the vehicle consent to the search. If you do not you will be detained until a warrant is issued. Come on people, you know how this works. But I would posit the majority on this forum are not the folks that have to worry about this; including me.

Well then give up your other constitutional rights. Let the police question you without a lawyer present. Lets get rid of all our freedoms for expediencies sake. Isn't that how you get tyranny.

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS OUR FOREFATHERS DID why are we so lazy?

I have heard here before, you are NOT mobile as long as you are all connected up at an RV park. You are only considered mobile when you have no hookups.

-Don- in hot Cold Springs Valley, NV (101F/39C ).
That is correct. Two different situations completely. Hookups don't matter either. Your RV is still considered a residence if you are parked and reasonably set up for extended stay. Not just pulled over on the side of a highway.

Well then give up your other constitutional rights. Let the police question you without a lawyer present. Lets get rid of all our freedoms for expediencies sake. Isn't that how you get tyranny.

Where there is probable cause to believe that a vehicle contains evidence of a criminal activity, an officer may lawfully search any area of the vehicle in which the evidence might be found.
Arizona v. Gant, 129 S. Ct. 1710 (2009),

An officer may conduct a traffic stop if he has reasonable suspicion that a traffic violation has occurred or that criminal activity is afoot.
Berekmer v. McCarty, 468 U.S. 420 (1984),
United States v. Arvizu, 534 U.S. 266 (2002).

An officer may conduct a pat-down of the driver and passengers during a lawful traffic stop; the police need not believe that any occupant of the vehicle is involved in a criminal activity.
Arizona v. Johnson, 555 U.S. 323 (2009).

The use of a narcotics detection dog to walk around the exterior of a car subject to a valid traffic stop does not require reasonable, explainable suspicion.
Illinois v. Cabales, 543 U.S. 405 (2005).

Special law enforcement concerns will sometimes justify highway stops without any individualized suspicion.
Illinois v. Lidster, 540 U.S. 419 (2004).

An officer at an international border may conduct routine stops and searches.
United States v. Montoya de Hernandez, 473 U.S. 531 (1985).

A state may use highway sobriety checkpoints for the purpose of combating drunk driving.
Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz, 496 U.S. 444 (1990).

A state may set up highway checkpoints where the stops are brief and seek voluntary cooperation in the investigation of a recent crime that has occurred on that highway.
Illinois v. Lidster, 540 U.S. 419 (2004).

However, a state may not use a highway checkpoint program whose primary purpose is the discovery and interdiction of illegal narcotics.
City of Indianapolis v. Edmond, 531 U.S. 32 (2000).

Funny-but-scary border crossing incident: Returning from a week long fishing trip in Canada back around 1990, my buddy & I crossed near Buffalo, NY. We weren't bringing any fish back, so the questions by the US border agent were routine until we mentioned that we had just stopped in Toronto for a meal and visit some book shops. "Books? You bought books? Point to where the books are and then stand back!!!" With that, two agents dug into our gear & suitcases to make sure we weren't bringing any illegal books into the USA! Yes, there is a rather lengthy list of books banned in the USA, and not just bomb recipes. Several of my favorite British military history authors have books on that list. Apparently opinions that conflict with America's self-image are ubject to seizure at the border. Sound familiar?
Do you have any links to a current "banned books" list used at the US/Canadian border? I haven't been able to find one, and the only book ban mentions I've found with a search so far are at specific schools and libraries, not the Federal government.

If you have nothing to hide dont worry about it, your not going to win, if the cop/border patrol, whatever wants to he/she will win. Why fight it? Wanna search my rig go for it, by the way its hot can i offer you a cold bottle of water from the fridge? Thank you for keeping me safe, have a nice day.

Whilst the original question relates to being stopped in an RV anywhere, with regards to international borders, crossing them is not a right but a privilege. As such, it is that countries right to protect its borders and people, and innocent travellers should not fear or object to being politely interviewed or searched in the defence of that border.

Internet legal advice is generally worth exactly what you paid for it.
I agree to a point. Folks can post most anything they want on the Internet. But when case law is quoted it is hard to argue against it. Having said that I have only been searched by federal agencies while entering military installations. You have no recourse other than turning around and leaving therefor either being charged under the UCMJ if active duty or losing your job if you are federal employee.

I think there is a balance of "nothing to hide" let them have at it and "litigating" your rights on the side of the road.

My strategy has been simple. "Can I look in your trunk?" - "I do not give you consent. I have done nothing wrong. It is up to you to decide if your search is legal."

"Have you been drinking?" - "I don't have to answer that."
"Do you know how fast you were going?" = "Yes"

Do pay attention to everything that happens at a stop. Don't volunteer anything that might incriminate.

I've never been "guilty" of anything but I do not surrender my rights to anyone. There are always cases of mistaken identity. OTOH I am not going to fight LEO on the side of the road. That's what court is for.

But I have a bunch of LEO friends. I would never have the cajones to pull night stops. So for that reason I am a model citizen when I get stopped, especially at night. Dome lights on, hands at 10 and 2 and as a CCW carrier I immediately announce my status as required by law.

I've never been "guilty" of anything but I do not surrender my rights to anyone. There are always cases of mistaken identity. OTOH I am not going to fight LEO on the side of the road. That's what court is for.

Yep. There's an old saying - "You can beat the rap, but not the ride".

So this has morphed into whether folks would consent to being searched as opposed to has anyone ever been searched. I have only been searched (with and without RV) while entering military installations; never while on the road. I’m sure folks are searched at the borders and there’s no recourse other than turning around and leaving. I travel quite a lot and have never seen an RV pulled over and being searched. I have only seen folks that don’t look like me being searched.

I had my fridge searched while fishing a small lake south of Quesnel Lake BC. Two fish cops show up on a remote logging road and chatted with the guy camped next to me who was packing up I could hear him telling them he just does catch and release but sadly he had someone from 150 Mile House drop by the night before and took 2 coolers FULL of rainbow trout home with them. When the one fish cop came inside my trailer she asked me if the guy next door was really just catching and releasing - I told her they were about 12 hours too late. All my fish were legal....

Back in 1972 my cousin and I and several of his friends were hog hunting in north Florida. We were on a dirt road and got pulled over by game wardens. We were told to exit our vehicle and stand by the wardens vehicle. They had guns drawn. They took all our guns out of our vehicle and gave it a thorough search. They also searched us. We were questioned for what seemed like a long time. After all that we were told a game warden was shot and killed earlier that morning. Nobody asked our permission for the search and none of us complained.

you/we gave up all your rights the minute you/we were born, the government knows everything they want when they want - they have access to all your banking info, there is GPS in all the cars today and black boxes, your phone and phone records are readily available at the drop of a pin (literally) i can tell where my wife is in her car because its hooked up with Fordpass same with the GM onstar. in London England they have over 500,000 CCTVs, you cross the border and they x-ray you and your rig and take pictures etc etc you have no rights period. so why fight it. its just easier to say here you go have at it.
my license plate is DRKHORZE ( its a big blacked out Ford 350 Dually tinted windows, fuel wheels and some skulls decals made with 3m rock gaurd) last time we crossed the border into the states the border crossing gaurd asked me if i liked "certain skin toned ladies of the evening" shall we say we laughed and i said no im a big fan of Caty Perry (she has a song of the same name ) we laughed more had a short conversation and we were on our way both still laughing as i drove off into the distance.

Last edited:
The last time we traveled to Canada the Canadian Customs agent asked all the usual questions, and when he got around to the questions about firearms I had a good time. He asked what kind of firearms I had at home and I replied "Well, I've got a replica Brown Bess flintlock pistol in .75 caliber, an 1851 Navy Colt percussion pistol, a Kentucky percussion rifle in .45 caliber, and my wife has a more modern Thompson Center percussion rifle in .45 caliber." He laughed and noted that he had never had anyone mention firearms like that before! Told us to have a great trip and we were on our way...

Closest I've been to our rig being searched - We were crossing into Canada at the Falls, on our way home from Maine. The officer in the booth asked if we had any firearms, I said "no." She asked if they could search our vehicles. I said sure, she said pull over there. I did, and the guys said "we'll be right with you, Sir."
So I parked and got out, and went around unlocking all the cargo doors and the Toad.
Two other border guys came over and one said, "Oh that's fine. You can go."
I locked up and we went on our way.
We came across at Port Huron, and checked in for the night. While gathering my toiletries for the shower, I found my little 9mm in the duffle.
Oops.
SOMEBODY was looking out for us that day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom