Half a loaf is better than none

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bought a loaf at the tiny Roadrunner market in Quartzsite when we got here because my starter wasn't going to be ready for a few days. It was from LaBrea Bakery in L.A. and surprisingly had a good sour bite to it.
Even more surprising, "sour culture" was listed as an ingredient. $5 for a smaller (bigger than a half) loaf.
I was stunned. Never seen real bread in a grocery store in Alaska. I think they make health restrictions so tight you can't get away with a wild starter in a commercial kitchen in most states.
I may be wrong on that, but seems the logical reason for the conditions seen.

Where would you find one of those?
There are 4 within 30 minutes of me. I guess you guys don't have them?

They have crafts and all that crap in them too. But many fresh meat booths, baked goods and stuff like that at the farmer's markets close to me.

There are 4 within 30 minutes of me. I guess you guys don't have them?

They have crafts and all that crap in them too. But many fresh meat booths, baked goods and stuff like that at the farmer's markets close to me.
As far as I know, there are no farmers markets at all around here. Not a lot fruits and veggies grown in these parts; mostly hay.

I'm reminded when I was growing up in the UK ... our house backed onto a bakery. I'd be asked to go buy a loaf and, when I arrived, they'd be taking it out of the oven using long paddles. That's as fresh as it gets. On the way home, I'd eat bread from the middle of the loaf and, by the time I arrived home, I'd have a crust surrounding a large cavity :(

"sour culture".
Have you tried doing wild cultures in different parts of the United States and compared?

I think my Maryland wild culture would be alot different if I started a sourdough starter somewhere else.

Different wild yeasts in different parts of the country make a different taste, and of course, the different flours, especially those you grind yourself change tastes.

I haven't been anywhere long enough to catch a different wild yeast culture than the one I have from here.

Have you been lucky enough to collect 2 or more strains?

During the height of Covid, a lot of us were making our own bread, including sourdough. When yeast got in short supply at stores, you could find info on capturing your own yeast from the air. It was a lot of fun but it sure is easier to grab a loaf of real SF sourdough at a local bakery or grocery. Sadly, my sourdough starter got tossed.

The reality is that a culture will change quickly to a different dominant yeast in a new environment and you cannot prevent it without biohazard lab level facilities.
Every time I take the lid off my jar it is immediately exposed to wild yeast in the air.
Different flour brands and batches have different strains of wild yeast.
The water you mix it up with has yeasts.
The stir stick/spatula has yeasts on it.

This is why buying special starters on the internet is kinda snake oil. You might get a good dominant strain from your purchase for a couple loaves, but before long it's local starter as the local dominant strain will take over.

Most people think of a sour flavor, dense white bread with a thin crunchy crust when they hear "sourdough", but the reality is any bread made with sour culture rather than yeast is sourdough bread. I make whole wheat, rye, Russian black, French, Italian, ciabatta, etc. and it's all wild yeast culture instead of active or instant yeast.

I had a bread maker once, it made some very good bread. The bread doesn't keep long, so you have to make some every few days, but thats ok. I have considered getting another one, but not sure where I would put it.

Charles

This is why buying special starters on the internet is kinda snake oil. You might get a good dominant strain from your purchase for a couple loaves, but before long it's local starter as the local dominant strain will take over.
I halfway agree but some foreign strains may be dominant over the local strain. I started out cultivating local yeast but it tasted more like commercial bread than breads I sampled in Europe. Which is different by country.

I do know that the starter I got on the internet was the strong European sourdough taste and texture. But what I have now tastes stronger than when I first got it 6 years ago. I've read 2 or more kinds of yeast can crossbreed which may be why my starter has changed.

To each their own but US commercial bread is made from flour and yoga mats. That's reason enough to bake your own bread.

In Indiana it seems most people keep their own starter going while making bread, rolls and biscuits, etc.
DW gave away starter bowls of her batch after the car wreck smashed her up so badly she can't hardly work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom