Half a loaf is better than none

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lived there until I retired and moved here in 2013. When I retired I had lived in the Napa Valley for 14 years and not once did I set foot in a winery as I don't like wine. There were also micro breweries all over the place and I never entered one of those either, and as far as I know neither did any of my friends.

The closest I've ever got to drinking a 'craft' beer is Henry Weinhard's and Sierra Nevada. I used to drink them almost exclusively back in the 80's and 90's, then for some reason I got out of the habit. It isn't available here but it doesn't matter as these days I only drink lite beer. I really can't handle regular beer anymore as it has too much alcohol and I get a buzz after just a couple. And since there really aren't any "good" lite beers out there I just buy the cheap-o stuff like Natural Lite or Milwaukee's Best Lite. I can get a 30-pak for about $18. That's almost enough for an entire weekend.
cheers.gif
Sierra Nevada could be called a craft beer… And there are some pretty good “session“ craft beers.. Which is basically a light beer.. But you probably aren’t gonna find one for $18 for a 30 pack… But $18 might get you thru a night, if not the weekend…;) ….
Butch

Sierra Nevada could be called a craft beer… And there are some pretty good “session“ craft beers.. Which is basically a light beer.. But you probably aren’t gonna find one for $18 for a 30 pack… But $18 might get you thru a night, if not the weekend…;) ….
Butch
About 20 years ago, I was brewing my own for about a year. I actually got pretty good at it and had a couple recipes that came out quite well. The problem was that darn 6 - 10 week waiting period after bottling before they were finished. In order to provide myself with enough to drink while I was waiting for the next couple cases to be ready I would have had to be brewing and bottling every day. It became not fun after a while. :confused:

I must know the other 75%.
I think it’s the sitz im leben, I went through twelve years of public school, 7 years in the Army, 4 yrs at Univ. of Colorado at Colo. Spgs., various and sundry career moves, lived on two continents and here I am at 69 and still haven’t met anyone with a peanut allergy. Although I’m told if I drive by an elementary school with a PB&J sandwich in the car half the children may need to be medivac’d to a trauma center.

I think it’s the sitz im leben, I went through twelve years of public school, 7 years in the Army, 4 yrs at Univ. of Colorado at Colo. Spgs., various and sundry career moves, lived on two continents and here I am at 69 and still haven’t met anyone with a peanut allergy. Although I’m told if I drive by an elementary school with a PB&J sandwich in the car half the children may need to be medivac’d to a trauma center.
I've had this same conversation with a number of people. To my recollection, I have never met anyone with any kind of food allergy. I'm sure they're out there, as I see it on the news occasionally like ButchW's post above. I have met a few people who say they are allergic to bee stings - like my wife - but in all the time I knew these people they never got stung. None of them carried an EpiPen, either (and neither does my wife), so I don't know how allergic they could have been if they weren't that worried about it. You can bet that if I were allergic enough to anything where if exposed it might kill me, I'd have an EpiPen in a quick-draw holster 24/7.

I've had this same conversation with a number of people. To my recollection, I have never met anyone with any kind of food allergy. I'm sure they're out there, as I see it on the news occasionally like ButchW's post above. I have met a few people who say they are allergic to bee stings - like my wife - but in all the time I knew these people they never got stung. None of them carried an EpiPen, either (and neither does my wife), so I don't know how allergic they could have been if they weren't that worried about it. You can bet that if I were allergic enough to anything where if exposed it might kill me, I'd have an EpiPen in a quick-draw holster 24/7.
My Grandson developed a severe reaction to bee stings when he was quite young (Actually he had been stung before with no reaction)… His throat swoll up after a bee sting and was rushed to the hospital.. He always carried a EpiPen with him… While still young he got stung again and started to react.. He stabbed the EpiPen into his thigh himself, and was taken to the hospital… All came out good.. His Dr. has done test.. And now at 22 he is no longer allergic to bee stings…
Butch

My Grandson developed a severe reaction to bee stings when he was quite young (Actually he had been stung before with no reaction)… His throat swoll up after a bee sting and was rushed to the hospital.. He always carried a EpiPen with him… While still young he got stung again and started to react.. He stabbed the EpiPen into his thigh himself, and was taken to the hospital… All came out good.. His Dr. has done test.. And now at 22 he is no longer allergic to bee stings…
Butch
I'm lucky I have no allergy to bee/wasp stings. I've been stung so many times in my life it surely would have killed me by now. And stop calling me Shirley. ;)

I have no doubt about the allergy issues, I’m just confounded a little about how not one kid, as far as I’m aware, in our public schools was allergic to peanuts but it’s not at all unusual now.

Butch
My brother was severely allergic to bee stings.

I've had this same conversation with a number of people. To my recollection, I have never met anyone with any kind of food allergy.
Keep in mind that, unless you discuss food with them, perhaps unless you actually share meals with them, you may know several folks who have allergies of which you are unaware.

I know a man who is allergic to macadamia nuts - he's made it well known - and says one nut would kill him. He was otherwise quite robust. I've known several people who are allergic to dairy, and must have pizza without cheese, among other things. I have a granddaughter with food allergies. So they're out there.

I have no doubt about the allergy issues, I’m just confounded a little about how not one kid, as far as I’m aware, in our public schools was allergic to peanuts but it’s not at all unusual now.
My kids have had 4 grandchildren within the past few years. All had different doctors. The doctors all advised them to start feeding the babies peanut butter before they were 6 months old to keep them from having a peanut allergy.

When I was a kid peanut butter sandwiches were an almost daily part of life. It still would be if I wasn't on a never ending diet plan. Peanut butter has kinda gone out of style and has been replaced by fruit and healthy foods. That is child abuse in my opinion :)

I hear ya. I've read that peanuts harbor bacteria since they grow underground, but why suddenly it's a problem? Bigger issues than pb for sure.

I have heard (but don’t know if a fact) that eating locally made, and raw honey would help with allergies… The idea being, that the honey is made from local pollens that you could be allergic to, thus “inoculating“ you…
Butch

I have heard (but don’t know if a fact) that eating locally made, and raw honey would help with allergies… The idea being, that the honey is made from local pollens that you could be allergic to, thus “inoculating“ you…
Butch
My oldest daughter had severe allergies. When she was 3 her pediatrician told us to feed her local honey every day. Within 6 months her allergies were gone. She's now 47 and still allergy free but she hates honey for some reason :)

Butch
That makes sense, that's the principle in the mRNA vaccines and the traditional vaccines like Flu. It's also how anti-venom is produced.

I've had this same conversation with a number of people. To my recollection, I have never met anyone with any kind of food allergy. I'm sure they're out there, as I see it on the news occasionally like ButchW's post above.
My husband’s cousin has a severe peanut allergy, and he is well over 65 years old. He was hospitalized once when another cousin blew in his face after eating peanuts, not believing the allergy was real. I have a number of friends allergic to shellfish. I know a couple of others with egg allergies. And then there are the people who have been bitten by lone star ticks and become allergic to a chemical found in most red meats including beef and pork. It isn’t really very rare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom