Half a loaf is better than none

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a bread maker once, it made some very good bread. The bread doesn't keep long, so you have to make some every few days, but thats ok. I have considered getting another one, but not sure where I would put it.

Charles
I have a Zojirutsi 1 pound breadmaker, and I love it! It is much smaller than most, and it fits nicely on my counter at home or in the motorhome. I use it to make bread pretty regularly, but not sourdough. The key to making bread and not having it go bad before you use it is to slice it and freeze the slices. They thaw in 10-15 minutes sitting on the counter, or give them a 5-10 second blast in the microwave.

The key to making bread and not having it go bad before you use it is to slice it and freeze the slices.
The key to not having your bread go bad is to eat it :) But seriously, sourdough keeps longer due to its thick crust and generally lower moisture content. Keep your bread in a completely dark cool space not exposed to air movement and sourdough will last a week. That's why grandma had a breadbox.

The key to not having your bread go bad is to eat it :) But seriously, sourdough keeps longer due to its thick crust and generally lower moisture content. Keep your bread in a completely dark cool space not exposed to air movement and sourdough will last a week. That's why grandma had a breadbox.
If the bread I bought only lasted a week, I think I'd go with different brand. I can buy a loaf of 7-grain wheat bread at the store that will last most of a month in the fridge in between sammich makings.

If the bread I bought only lasted a week, I think I'd go with different brand. I can buy a loaf of 7-grain wheat bread at the store that will last most of a month in the fridge in between sammich makings.
Take a picture of the ingredients and post it if you dare. Odds are it's full of preservatives that screw up your gut rather than improve it like real sourdough.

Hmmm... after 80 years of sandwiches and toast with commercially made bread...
Find an ingredient list for bread from only 20 years ago and it will be much cleaner than what is sold today. So you haven't been eating really nasty stuff for 80 years, it gets progressively worse as industrialization flourishes.
There used to be bakeries on every other corner in the cities. Family businesses that answered to their customers and kept the money local.
Just like beer, the people are done with mass production. They want the real thing, because it's better.

Last edited:
Find an ingredient list for bread from only 20 years ago and it will be much cleaner than what is sold today. So you haven't been eating really nasty stuff for 80 years, it gets progressively worse as industrialization flourishes.
There used to be bakeries on every other corner in the cities. Family businesses that answered to their customers and kept the money local.
Just like beer, the people are done with mass production. They want the real thing, because it's better.
I'm thinking that Anheuser-Busch, MolsonCoors, Heineken USA, Pabst, and a number of other mass production brewing companies would disagree with that. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single person I know that drinks any kind of 'craft' beer. And I know a ton of beer drinkers.

I'll give you that. A big swath of the country is still on the big batch bandwagon. But in the northwest, and in Alaska, the battle is over. It's coming to the midwest, just look at the number of breweries on HH in Oklahoma. They couldn't survive if everyone wanted Bud.
Small cheese producers is a thing now, and small bread is coming. Especially if we get more regulations rolled back.

I'm thinking that Anheuser-Busch, MolsonCoors, Heineken USA, Pabst, and a number of other mass production brewing companies would disagree with that. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single person I know that drinks any kind of 'craft' beer. And I know a ton of beer drinkers.
If you were still back in CA, I bet you would know a few... There are a ton of micro-breweries on the West Coast...
Butch

I'll give you that. A big swath of the country is still on the big batch bandwagon. But in the northwest, and in Alaska, the battle is over. It's coming to the midwest, just look at the number of breweries on HH in Oklahoma. They couldn't survive if everyone wanted Bud.
Small cheese producers is a thing now, and small bread is coming. Especially if we get more regulations rolled back.
Don’t know about cheese and bread, but the majority of craft beer I’ve tried tasted like beer.

I hate preservatives in food, why can’t we get back to eating like they did in the 1500’s and dying at 35?
Just think of all the problems that would solve. Social Security would have excess funding, housing would be cheap, and pollution would be cut in half. Maybe we don't have to eliminate preservatives. The birthrate is declining rapidly in most parts of the world. Think we somehow migrated way from sourdough bread which is to be expected.

Just a matter of time before some guy searches for and posts what may or may not be relevant data: :rolleyes:

In 2022, craft beer accounted for nearly a quarter of the total U.S. retail beer market. After a decline in 2020, craft beer had the largest share of the beer market in its time in 2021, at 26.8 percent.

If you were still back in CA, I bet you would know a few... There are a ton of micro-breweries on the West Coast...
Butch
I lived there until I retired and moved here in 2013. When I retired I had lived in the Napa Valley for 14 years and not once did I set foot in a winery as I don't like wine. There were also micro breweries all over the place and I never entered one of those either, and as far as I know neither did any of my friends.

The closest I've ever got to drinking a 'craft' beer is Henry Weinhard's and Sierra Nevada. I used to drink them almost exclusively back in the 80's and 90's, then for some reason I got out of the habit. It isn't available here but it doesn't matter as these days I only drink lite beer. I really can't handle regular beer anymore as it has too much alcohol and I get a buzz after just a couple. And since there really aren't any "good" lite beers out there I just buy the cheap-o stuff like Natural Lite or Milwaukee's Best Lite. I can get a 30-pak for about $18. That's almost enough for an entire weekend.
cheers.gif

Back
Top Bottom