Hot water in tank but cold water coming out of both taps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcelMasse

Ive just replaced the innertank on my atwood water heater.
All went well till we tried to turn the hot water tap on. There is hot water in the hot water tank but but taps run cold water. Any ideas? 
Also it only heats on gas not power

I did not change the plumbing in any way
The power was off
Winter by pass is on
I didn't use it during the repairs

Thanks for trying to help.

There is only one valve and its turned on.

No idea why. Any help or trouble shooting ideas more the welcome.

You said that the winter bypass valve is on. Did you mean it was open or closed. It has to be closed or positioned so the cold water is directed into the tank through the bottom pipe and then out the hot water outlet at the top.

1 make sure that all the showers are turned off at the facets and not the shower head. The shower head can act as a mixing valve causing you to think that you have no hot water

Three water heater winter bypass systems
1 valve
2 Valve
3 vlave
One and 3 are most common
With one if the valve is in the "Bypass" mode there should not be water in the tank less the outlet check valve did not remain when the tank was replaced.

With teh 3 valve you should have TWO open valves and one closed. that one is the "Bypass" valve.

Outdoor shower is another source of bypass.. Make sure the mixing vlaves are closed.

I see two possibilities:
1. The heater bypass is in the "bypass" position, meaning cold water bypasses the tank and goes direct to the hot faucets.
2. The check valve at the tank outlet is stuck closed.

Help us out here: what brand of water heater and what year/make/model of coach?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I see two possibilities:
1. The heater bypass is in the "bypass" position, meaning cold water bypasses the tank and goes direct to the hot faucets.
2. The check valve at the tank outlet is stuck closed.

Help us out here: what brand of water heater and what year/make/model of coach?

Gary he said it was a Atwood and he?s getting water out of the water faucet but it?s cold. Sounds to me that the bypass is open.

Thank you so much for the welcome. I will go double check what you have all suggested
Kind regards to one and all

Oh and its a one valve HNAKCG

is there a way to communicate without all the crazy questions and worse is the letter jumble.
Just asking. No disrespect. I find it hard to do the letters.

MarcelMasse said:
is there a way to communicate without all the crazy questions and worse is the letter jumble.
Just asking. No disrespect. I find it hard to do the letters.
m
That will change in the next one or two post.

OH GOOD.

Thanks for this.

My husband thinks, after all the help, is it possible to have put the one way valve in backwards?  He's a carpenter not a mechanical guy. Venturing into unfamiliar territory s

MarcelMasse said:
OH GOOD.

Thanks for this.

My husband thinks, after all the help, is it possible to have put the one way valve in backwards?  He's a carpenter not a mechanical guy. Venturing into unfamiliar territory s

It?s called a check valve most of the time. If you look closely at the side of it, you?ll probably see a arrow etched into the body. You want that arrow pointing in the direction of the flow of water. In your case, if it?s the top pipe, it should be pointing away from the tank.

If you had put the one way valve in backwards, and have the bypass valve in the RIGHT (Summer or USE) position you would get NO water flow from the hot taps...  But read on

If you put that valve in backwards and the bypass is in WINTER position YOu would get cold water out of the taps and hot water in the tank.

So....  That's for a one valve system only  2 and 3 valve systems don't need the check valve so should not have it.

How do I send a photo? 
Also discovered that the heater doesn?t work on power. Just gas.

Attachments

• A938EA16-F66D-4FF6-9B52-396817545670.jpeg
    A938EA16-F66D-4FF6-9B52-396817545670.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 25
Using the full screen editor (not "Quick-Reply"), you will see Attachments and other options below the text box at the left. Click that and fill in the Attach menu.
You can get the full screen editor by clicking Preview button from Quick-Reply or by selecting the Reply button under the message toward the right side.

Back
Top Bottom