I could not give up having an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
I had the same experience with my 1993 Hall Chaparral 21 ft. Class A.  It was a joy to drive and with the Chevy 454 TBI and sloped front end it would get up to 75-80 with my foot well off the floor and was stable at that speed.  It also cost a lot less than a Mercedes van.  :)
My year 2000 Tioga Model 24D has the 454 but mine is MPFI, not TBI. IMO, it's the perfect size for my RV, has plenty of guts, and  averages just above ten MPG. BTW, when the length of a Class C RV is given, is it the inside or outside measurement? My 24D is 24 feet in the inside, but more than 26 feet on the outside.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

RV model numbers suggest the length, they don't determine it.  Just like boats.  I had a Paceship 26, my friend Jon had a Catalina 27.  Gock space is calculated by length of boat (by the number), so on was charged fore 27'. I was charged for 26'.  Well, his 27 was 26'8". My 26 was 26'10".  Drove him crazy. 

bumper pull trailers are usually called by the box length, but overall they are about 3'+ longer.  5th wheels seem to be all over, but from what I have seen it is pin to back of body. 

DonTom said:
How does that compare to changing the entire engine? How many miles when the head crapped out?

BTW, is that the thee cylinder diesel engine?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
I think it was a 2009 maybe a 2010 6 cylinder diesel with around 175K miles as I remember in a commercial Dodge Transit van. This was back in 2016 and the cylinder head had to be shipped from Germany. I don't know how much the head itself was but a lot of that was labor @ $150/hr. Being a van it is not a DYI project. I do not know what a new Mercedes engine would cost but Mercedes parts are not cheap. The head replacement cost almost as much as the van was worth.

Lou Schneider said:
The only good thing in Banning is Gramma's Country Kitchen just north of I-10 at Sunset Ave.  Loved to stop there on my way back to LA after working on our Snow Peak FM translator or the Indio transmitter.  Great food and their cinnamon rolls are to die for, if you ask they'll heat them up and melt butter over the top.

That and no longer going to the Original Pantry in downtown LA is probably why I've lost 20 lbs since I retired.

At the time I actually worked at Sunset Chevy which was located between Sunset and Highland Springs.  It's a different name on a different building now, but still a Chevy dealer.

Nice looking RV.....And no more backwards Crab walking to get out of bed.

Nice, very nice. The way this thread is going, I have to ask, when are you going to get the new Diesel Pusher? Next month?

You are Back in the RVn Game knee deep, for sure.

JD

Looks great, happy you found something to get back out and enjoy. I'm guessing you hope to head north this summer, lol.

Renae found it on the Internet. She is happier about it than me. Said it will be her new "She Shed".

We bought it from a couple in Tucson, He is a Tucson police officer and she is a nurse. It is a one owner and has 17,000 miles on it. They took good care of it and have all the maintenance records.

This was their first time selling an RV and they were unsure of how to handle the sale. I suggested that they wait for the check to clear and then deliver it to us in Lake Havasu City. They jumped on that and thought that was a great idea. They have never been to LHC and it also made them feel very comfortable about the safety of the transaction.

Back
Top Bottom