In LA, CA today, the gas price:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I paid $2.99/ gallon in Macon, GA, yesterday. I saw it a few miles south for as low as $2.78. Atlanta was about $3.19 - $3.29.

Gas prices are going down in most places, so what is happening in LA???

I am happy when I can find a place that sells gasoline for less than five bucks per gallon out here in the west.

I paid $4.40 per gallon today in Fernley, NV. Cheapest place I have seen this entire trip. I put $345.00 in the tank there when it clicked off. I used four different credit cards because the pump stopped at a hundred bucks each time which is ridiculous for these days.

This class A has an 80-gallon fuel tank. But I normally refill just below a half tank.

-Don- Eureka, NV

Refinery issues, OPEC production cuts, flooding in Libya, Mars in retrograde..

AKA more oil industry BS, robbing us at the pump.

Refinery issues, OPEC production cuts, flooding in Libya, Mars in retrograde..

AKA more oil industry BS, robbing us at the pump.
Yeah, it's the only industry that I know of where when they have a big problem, they make a lot more money.

-Don- Eureka, NV

I always said, that if the world had no more dependency on oil (gasoline) for supplying necessary power, (law of supply and demand) ... and the oil companies had billions and billions and billions of surplus oil, the price per gallon of gas would never, ever, ever, drop to 25 cents a gallon to persuade consumer usage again. No, no, no.... the oil companies would charge 1 million dollars per gallon instead..... why? Because they are going to make their profit at any cost to us!

With California going EV so much and doing so much to get rid of fossil fuel dependency, my theory certainly appears to be happening! Or maybe this is really a plot to discourage purchasing gasoline so more people WILL purchase EV.

California .... somewhere I have no desire to visit. Too many rules, stupid laws, high prices, and too many insane people!

I paid 2.99 in southern Indiana over the weekend. 3.29 in Indy. Curious if Cali gas prices are due to taxes?

We have driven the I-95 corridor frequently from DC to Florida. There are always little pockets along the way in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina we try to get gas where it’s less expensive than anywhere else. Gas has usually been cheaper along VA 58 through Galax, Independence and Wytheville. I’m sure it’s the same all over the country; places where gas is always cheaper than the rest of the country.

The wholesale price of gas is at one of it's lowest points. That only means BIG oil can keep the price high to pad their pockets. Wholesale price goes down and pump price stays the same. Wholesale goes up slightly and pump price increases 5%.

I think this photo says it all:

View attachment 168238

-Don- Eureka, NV
We're about 20 miles from downtown Los Angeles. Not sure where this was taken but most prices I've seen are more like $6.00 a gallon. We took the Pace to Costco for gas two days ago, and they were so busy we just drove past. On the way, the lowest price gas I saw was about $5.59 a gallon for regular. Didn't see what Costco was charging but normally they're the cheapest in the area. So most likely less than $5.59. Can't imagine this station is selling any gas for that price.

Could this be the station referenced in the original post? I just took a screenshot from Gas Buddy. It's a clear outlier as there are pages of stations in the LA area with most prices reported in the mid-high $5's, with only a few reporting over $6.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 06.34.50.png

I used four different credit cards because the pump stopped at a hundred bucks each time which is ridiculous for these days.

Tom have you tried running the same CC back to back? My experience is that this is a gas station limit not a card limit.

I have run the same card back to back and it's always worked fine.

Re: Ca gas prices - That's insane and as beautiful as Ca is, that's another reason I haven't really looked back.

The gas station limit/shutoff is annoying, but there are some good reasons for those limits existing.

For the majority of people who aren't pumping $400 worth of gas, each time the card is pre-authed, it holds available credit or available funds (debit). So, the limit is set at a more reasonable ~$100 versus something like $500, as a lot of people don't have $500 in available credit or funds sitting in their debit account.

The second is fraud prevention. Many stations are not yet utilizing chip/EMV transactions and are still swipe-only. This helps limit the station's liability if someone is using a stolen card. Merchants using swipe-only, no signature are on the hook in that case. The card company doesn't reimburse them.

I've noticed when using the same CC back-to-back, sometimes the pump won't accept the same card on the second run automatically. You either have to use a different card or go inside and have them auth it. This is also a fraud prevention measure. Then again, at some stations it works. Go figure.

I am happy when I can find a place that sells gasoline for less than five bucks per gallon out here in the west.

I paid $4.40 per gallon today in Fernley, NV. Cheapest place I have seen this entire trip. I put $345.00 in the tank there when it clicked off. I used four different credit cards because the pump stopped at a hundred bucks each time which is ridiculous for these days.

This class A has an 80-gallon fuel tank. But I normally refill just below a half tank.

-Don- Eureka, NV
I remember this happening 8 years or so ago but it was always $75. With a pickup I would just leave it at that even if it was not full. In the last 2 years or so I have had to go over $100 and it has not shut off. Like someone else said I think you can just put the same card in and it will work. Still a pain.

I paid 2.99 in southern Indiana over the weekend. 3.29 in Indy. Curious if Cali gas prices are due to taxes?
No doubt about it. Local taxes. Reno is always more expensive than Carson City, Sun Valley, Fernley and other places close to Reno but not in Reno. Local gas taxes make the difference.

-Don- Eureka, CA

No doubt about it. Local taxes. Reno is always more expensive than Carson City, Sun Valley, Fernley and other places close to Reno but not in Reno. Local gas taxes make the difference.

-Don- Eureka, CA

Don, you can't be serious. CA is not adding $4.10 in taxes, given $7.39 for unleaded in the photo and Spence's $3.29 price in Indy.

My experience is that this is a gas station limit not a card limit.
I think it can be either. But there is no disadvantage in using different credit cards. I have had various banks cancel my credit cards for lack of use. Several times. Sometimes without any notice, card just gets rejected a year or so later. Different banks handle this differently. But once canceled, it's gone for good. Would have to reapply again and probably will not get approved. So I try to rotate through my credit cards to keep some activity on each of them.

-Don- Eureka, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom