In LA, CA today, the gas price:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don, you can't be serious. CA is not adding $4.10 in taxes, given $7.39 for unleaded in the photo and Spence's $3.29 price in Indy.
No, I am only talking about the 20 cents or so per gallon difference between one city to the next. I was not even talking about state taxes and the other factors. CA has many reasons why prices are higher, but it still changes a little from one town to the next because of their local taxes.

-Don- Eureka, CA

Last edited:
I think it can be either. But there is no disadvantage in using different credit cards. I have had various banks cancel my credit cards for lack of use. Several times. Sometimes without any notice, card just gets rejected a year or so later. Different banks handle this differently. But once canceled, it's gone for good. Would have to reapply again and probably will not get approved. So I try to rotate through my credit cards to keep some activity on each of them.

-Don- Eureka, NV
They did that years ago with an AT&T Universal card I had. I seldom used it and after a couple years I just got a letter telling me the account had been closed. Chevron once sent me a letter saying "Use it or lose it", so I try to use it every year. We don't have any Chevron stations with 150 miles, so it has to be when we're visiting relatives in CA or AZ.

We're about 20 miles from downtown Los Angeles. Not sure where this was taken but most prices I've seen are more like $6.00 a gallon.
No doubt somebody was looking for the most expensive gas station in LA. BTW, I can do about the same in Reno. There is a Cheverton Gas station at the Virgina Street Exit off I-80 that costs at least $1.50 a gallon more than anywhere else in Reno. IIRC, it was at $6.999 a gallon just a few days ago. Most other gas stations in Reno are just a little above five bucks per gallon.

-Don- Eureka, NV

We don't have any Chevron stations with 150 miles, so it has to be when we're visiting relatives in CA or AZ.
My Chevron/Texaco is the Visa so it can be used anywhere. IIRC, they also have a Chevron/Texaco non-Visa that is good at Chevrons and Texaco. See if yours has the T-star on it, then it can also be used at Texaco. Of course, the Visa one can be used anywhere Visa is accepted.

But I think they also have the option of Chevron or Texaco only cards. So there are four different cards.

-Don- Eureka, NV

My Chevron/Texaco is the Visa so it can be used anywhere. IIRC, they also have a Chevron/Texaco non-Visa that is good at Chevrons and Texaco. See if yours has the T-star on it, then it can also be used at Texaco. Of course, the Visa one can be used anywhere Visa is accepted.

But I think they also have the option of Chevron or Texaco only cards. So there are four different cards.

-Don- Eureka, NV
Yes, it's a Chevron/Texaco card. There aren't any Texaco stations within several hours of me, either. Their map says there is one about 30 minutes away, but that building had been a dental office for at least 7 or 8 years now.

Drove through southern Georgia today on my way to northern Florida and found these prices in Waycross, GA. Actually, the price without the extra dime off for their "EasyPay" option was $2.66 per gallon, but I filled up and did not complain! And a few miles down the road at a Shell station I saw it for $2.55. Not bad. And I only had to use one credit card to pay for it.

IMG_3293.jpg

The first gas station I tried here only had a 13'.0" clearance, my RV is 13.2" and then add the stuff on top. I was able to back out okay. But I never saw such a low clearance at a gas station before.

So I go to a Chevron on the way here that was advertised below four bucks per gallon and had plenty of room under their rain cover thingy.

I thought Utah was a bit cheaper, but I see they use cheap 85 octane here for the low grade. They have 88 octane as the mid-grade and then it is about the same price as most of NV where they use 87 octane. Still around $4.20 per gallon, so that is still cheaper than I am used to.

I put in the 88 octane. I know the elevation here is 1,782 meters (close to 6K'). But in modern engines, IMO, we should always use the recommended octane (or slightly above) regardless of elevation. I doubt if we can find a user manual for a newer engine that says differently. IAC, better to be safe than sorry.

-Don- Cedar City, Utah

The first gas station I tried here only had a 13'.0" clearance, my RV is 13.2" and then add the stuff on top. I was able to back out okay. But I never saw such a low clearance at a gas station before.

So I go to a Chevron on the way here that was advertised below four bucks per gallon and had plenty of room under their rain cover thingy.

I thought Utah was a bit cheaper, but I see they use cheap 85 octane here for the low grade. They have 88 octane as the mid-grade and then it is about the same price as most of NV where they use 87 octane. Still around $4.20 per gallon, so that is still cheaper than I am used to.

I put in the 88 octane. I know the elevation here is 1,782 meters (close to 6K'). But in modern engines, IMO, we should always use the recommended octane (or slightly above) regardless of elevation. I doubt if we can find a user manual for a newer engine that says differently. IAC, better to be safe than sorry.

-Don- Cedar City, Utah
Currently $4.20 at the Exxon in Palisade, Colorado for 87 Octane where we fill up which is a distant mountain road drive down to and back.

Our nearest gas station is around $6 for 85 Octane. Think it's $5.999, but then the wind blew away a number on the sign, so it's $5. 99. No higher than 85 Octane is sold here.

Our Ram owners manual states 89 Octane for the 6.4L. It's $4.40 at Exxon for the next higher Octane of 91 to satisfy their 89 Octane recommendation. I can't justify spending even more $ per gallon no matter what the owners manual states.

85 Octane, including the Ram is what we use and that's what is sold the most in Colorado, because it's $3.80.

Last edited:

-Don- Cedar City, Utah
88 octane is E15. 15% alcohol. The rest are E10. Your gas mileage and performance may suffer.

88 octane is E15. 15% alcohol. The rest are E10. Your gas mileage and performance may suffer.
In the eastern US it's E15. In Utah it's no ethanol and also with 10% ethanol.

They sell no ethanol here in Colorado as 87 Octane. I use it in my small engines. Unfortunately, it's the most expensive gas at the pump at least at or beyond the price of premium. No local stations sell it, so I have to drive quite far to a Maverick station for it.
6be11f610eab3691a3d5d747b20236ce43d1deec_2_999x750.jpeg

First I heard that. Are you sure that is in all states? I thought E-15 would be labeled as such.

But E15 should not be a problem with 2001 and newer vehicles anyway.

FWIW, I have not seen 88 octane in CA or NV that I can recall. I have seen 85 octane in NV, but only at a couple of cheaper gas stations.

My owner's manual says, on page 42:

"Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty".

"Do not use fuels containing more than 15% ethanol or E 85 fuel"

So it looks like I made the correct choice anyway, even if it is 15% alcohol.

Edit: I just now noticed the above post. So it looks like the 88 octane here it is only 10% ethanol anyway.

-Don- Cedar City, UT

True capitalism at work is the price of fuel in Death Valley Furnace Creek. It is on private land, not NPS, and I haven’t seen it less than $7.00 in the last 3-4 years. Up the road 20 miles is Stovepipe Wells on NPS lane. Run by a concessionaire , the profit is limited to a reasonable percentage. Fuel is usually $1.50-$3.00 a gallon less.

First I heard that. Are you sure that is in all states? I thought E-15 would be labeled as such.

But E15 should not be a problem with 2001 and newer vehicles anyway.

FWIW, I have not seen 88 octane in CA or NV that I can recall. I have seen 85 octane in NV, but only at a couple of cheaper gas stations.

My owner's manual says, on page 42:

"Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty".

"Do not use fuels containing more than 15% ethanol or E 85 fuel"

So it looks like I made the correct choice anyway, even if it is 15% alcohol.

Edit: I just now noticed the above post. So it looks like the 88 octane here it is only 10% ethanol anyway.

-Don- Cedar City, UT
No owners manual will ever state 85 octane gas usage will be covered under the warranty. Just like our RV refrigerators aren't covered above 5,500 feet in elevation using propane, and our computer drives aren't covered above 10,000. Best to never come here.

Perspective: It's fine to run 85 at elevation where 87 is required as long as there's no heavy pinging/knock. That's ultimately what the recommendation is trying to avoid, a situation where a modern engine computer cannot adjust the timing enough on a given octane of fuel. If you're passing through or will burn most of the tank at much lower elevation as is the case with most of us travelers to places like Colorado, I'd buy higher octane meeting the minimum recommended requirement.

Perspective: It's fine to run 85 at elevation where 87 is required as long as there's no heavy pinging/knock. That's ultimately what the recommendation is trying to avoid, a situation where a modern engine computer cannot adjust the timing enough on a given octane of fuel. If you're passing through or will burn most of the tank at much lower elevation as is the case with most of us travelers to places like Colorado, I'd buy higher octane meeting the minimum recommended requirement.
I wouldn't expect 85 octane to cause problems either. But I will follow the owner's manual anyway. The way modern engines compensate for elevation changes, I doubt if the fuel requirements will change much based on the elevation.

-Don- Cedar City, UT

Most stations in this area added the 88 Octane button to their pumps like 2 years ago, but pushing that button does nothing because none of them have it in an available tank yet.

Back
Top Bottom