In LA, CA today, the gas price:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does that mean it is free?
Yes, 'cause there ain't nothing there. There isn't even a price above the button. It's like they all intended to start selling it a couple years ago then everybody changed their minds.

I have been using 85 for 21 years now in Cedar City and because of the altitude there is no downside,, my other ride is diesel so no problem..>>>Dan

Yes, the air you get is for free.:D

-Don- Cedar City, UT
It's required by law in California to be free. It's paid for in the required high gasoline or diesel price purchase prior to getting it free. No free air for EVs.

Screenshot_20231018_153625_Chrome.jpg

Here in Flagstaff, I see most gas stations asking around $4.20. I saw one on the way here that was asking less than four bucks, I assume it was 85 octane. But I have not bought any gas since I was in Cedar City, UT. I noticed many gas stations on the way that could not serve this RV, because their roofs were around 13' high or even less.

I guess some gas stations do not want to fill up 80-gallon gas tanks.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

I filled up the tank in White Rock.

This motorhome should have 87 octane.

This time I am glad the pump clicked off at a hundred bucks. I put a hundred bucks worth of 88 octane and then then rest with 86 octane to get my 87 octane. It was just a few cents under $200.00 to fill the near half already full 80-gallon fuel tank.

The price of the 86 octane was $2.999. The 88 octane was $3.399.

I wonder when they will drop the tenth of a penny nonsense.

-Don- Roswell, NM

This time I am glad the pump clicked off at a hundred bucks. I put a hundred bucks worth of 88 octane and then then rest with 86 octane to get my 87 octane. It was just a few cents under $200.00 to fill the near half already full 80-gallon fuel tank.

-Don- Roswell, NM
I paid $1.559 per gallon for bulk propane today for approximately 300 gallons with delivery, but for our TT's two 10 gallon tanks I paid $4.899 per gallon at the ranch store just 2 weeks ago. For our home heating wood pellets I paid $7.499 per 40 pound bag and 240 bags about a month ago. It's not just gasoline that has the tenth of a penny for fuel. Glad to not pay even more.

Paid $3.699 for 85 octane today in De Beque Canyon on I-70. Cheapest and only gas.

I paid $1.559 per gallon for bulk propane today for approximately 300 gallons with deliver
I don't think I have ever looked at the price of propane. I am just happy to find it, like I did today. I don't think any gas stations sell propane in NM (except maybe by the containers, which I do not care about). Perhaps a state law or something. At least I have never found propane at any gas station in NM. But today, I discovered the hardware store right across from the White Rock RV Park sells propane and can fill up motorhomes. They even had the correct adapter (I find many do not, but I carry one with me).

I don't have a clue what the average price per gallon is for propane. I think it's best I keep it that way.

-Don- Roswell, NM

Gas was ~5.59 for 87 yesterday in Palm Springs.

I was feeling ultra-smug driving an EV around all week!!

-Don- Roswell, NM
The computer for the engine will adjust the timing to eliminate any pinging. I don't think 1 octane point is a big deal. I would have filled to the brim with the cheaper fuel. Not looking forward to the single tank of gas I'll have to buy to get out of California. $5.70 for regular in Bishop the other day.

A family car I had a while back was a Ford with a 4.6L high compression engine. It needed at least 89 octane even here at altitude or it would ping like mad. My RV with the 8.1L seems happy with whatever I pour in there, but it's not a high compression engine either. Same for my Ranger 4 banger, it's gotten 86 since I got it. I think now with the advent of variable valve timing you can get a good mix of power and economy without the need for high compression, so maybe octane isn't as critical anymore. Noted that as I went from ABQ east to TN a couple weeks ago the octane levels shifted a bit up as we went, so there's something to the notion at higher altitudes the minimum octane you need goes down. Cheapest gas I think was east of Memphis at $2.89, a few places between here and there was $3.89 but it didn't take a lot of looking to knock 20 cents off that. I figured I'd "dollar cost average" the gas cost as I went by filling up before hitting half a tank, taking some of the sting out of the high prices and opportunity filling when I saw someplace cheap. Don't know if I actually realized any savings from that but it makes the calculation of it confusing enough to keep me from thinking too long about it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Went out and did an oil change on the RAM. I go to the quickie places for my daily drivers. I get the cheapest "economy" oil change.

$42... but then they add a couple extra quarts fee and taxes etc. I left outta there for around $75 - I may have to start doing my own oil changes again. That's too close to my "I'll do it myself" limit. 7 quarts of oil and a filter is pushing $50 at Walmart so I will probably keep paying the convenience premium...

Gassed up for $3.19 a gallon for 87. Cheapest that's been for a while.

Then went to the new car wash in town. All we had here were the wand places and an "ancient" automatic place where the machine moves back and forth. It was barely wide enough for my truck and would always slam the mirrors back and forth.

The new place is one of those fancy ones with colored lights and foam and tire shine and underbody. Their grand opening is tomorrow and all this week the car washes (ultimate wash) have been free so I had to take advantage of that.

The place didn't have a big line but they were really slow processing cars through the check in. Everyone had to hear the total spiel about joining the car wash club and so on. Judging by the traffic at 11am on a Wednesday this place is gonna print money - smart investor.

I really like these places because I always get the underbody wash. My Ohio based 2012 Jeep Liberty has no rust to speak of. I am sure it's because I routinely washed the salts off.

Finished up draining blood at the doctor for labs for my upcoming check up.

Man, I'm exhausted - LOL...

Right down our highway the Last Chance gasoline sign is still $5.999 per gallon at the Grand Mesa RV in Colorado. There's nothing else nearby for another 28 miles plus round trip if you're heading out that direction. Otherwise, it's much further. It's 85 octane here with 10% ethanol with no higher octane even available. My 2016 Ram 6.4L recommends 89 octane. Our boat's V8 recommendation is 93 octane. Neither 89 or 93 octane are available in Western Colorado. You can't be too picky if you need gas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwinStater
Back
Top Bottom