In LA, CA today, the gas price:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, I believe it's more and more becoming "the state where many people are simply stuck because they don't have the funds to move".
A month's rent or a house sale should be more than enough to move out in most cases.

IMO, still most people, by far, do not wish to leave CA. FWIW, I never really fully left CA, & I have always owned a house in CA since 1978 and never rented it out.

-Don- Reno, NV

Actually, I believe it's more and more becoming "the state where many people are simply stuck because they don't have the funds to move".
That may be true for people who don't own a home. For those that do, they can sell and go to almost any other state, buy a comparable or nicer home and have a considerable amount of money left over.

Every state has its pluses and minuses. I've been to every state but Alaska. I was born and raised in the Midwest. Have been in California since the late 70's. Population has probably doubled since I moved here and that, and only that, is the reason I'd like to leave. At least I'd like to move away from the millions of people in the So Cal area.

At least I'd like to move away from the millions of people in the So Cal area.
What is holding you back? Two places I would NOT want to live in CA are the LA area and the SF Bay Area (where I am from). While working, those are where the best paying jobs are, after being retired it is the time to get out of such areas.

CA has so many nice areas to choose from, without the crowds.

-Don- Reno, NV

What is holding you back?
Age for one. If I were a younger man like you, I'd be looking a bit harder. The other is more complicated. My wife isn't ready to leave the area.
CA has so many nice areas to choose from, without the crowds.

-Don- Reno, NV
Couldn't agree more. I'd love to be on or close to the coast but that's well beyond my price range.

I'd love to be on or close to the coast but that's well beyond my price range.
I lived near the ocean most of my life. So not a big deal to me. Same was for Tom when he lived in Hong Kong. We saw enough of the ocean.

I prefer more up in the Sierra foothills, such as Auburn. But it can get very hot there in the summer, unlike when I lived in South SF when I needed a jacket more often in July than in December. The fog in SSF often got very thick in July. Ten miles north or south would be a lot warmer in July.

It can get very hot in the summer in Auburn, but taking a motorcycle ride up to Donnor Summit on such a hot day is a nice way to cool down.

Here in Reno, the Mt. Rose Summit is a great place when it is too hot here in Reno.

RoseSummit.jpg

-Don- Reno, NV

66.1% of Americans own homes as of 2022, up from 2021 at 64.9%.

I would say the majority of people own homes in this country.

I think "house" would be a better search as many have a boat or an RV as a "home", such as a "motorhome".

-Don- Reno, NV

The stat is for residential real property like a house, condo, or owned apartment where the owner does not pay rent. Motorhomes and boats are considered vehicles (personal property, not real property) and are not included.

I think "house" would be a better search as many have a boat or an RV as a "home", such as a "motorhome".

-Don- Reno, NV
The stat is for residential real property like a house, condo, or owned apartment where the owner does not pay rent. Motorhomes and boats are considered vehicles (personal property, not real property) and are not included.
"The name "homeownership rate" can be misleading. As defined by the US Census Bureau, it is the percentage of homes that are occupied by the owner. It is not the percentage of adults that own their own home. This latter percentage will be significantly lower than the homeownership rate."

"The name "homeownership rate" can be misleading. As defined by the US Census Bureau, it is the percentage of homes that are occupied by the owner. It is not the percentage of adults that own their own home. This latter percentage will be significantly lower than the homeownership rate."

I'm not surprised you're calling it fake news. What is the "real" percentage then?

I wholeheartedly disagree that folks with mortgages on their homes shouldn't be counted as homeowners. Homes are not like vehicles where the registered owner is the bank until it is paid off. You as a homeowner actually own the home even if a bank has claim to the property while you owe on it.

"Which means that they do not fully own the equity in their own home, which they are said to "own".

That means the bank legally owns the home, along with the government. Don't pay it and the bank takes the house.

After the mortgage is paid off, only the government owns the house. IOW, you still make payments, but then they are called "property tax". Don't pay it, the government takes the house.

IOW, we never really own much of anything of value. At least here in NV, where I have to pay a couple of thousand in tax to register my Class A every year.

-Don- Reno, NV

No, the home is actually yours. The bank can acquire it if you do not pay money borrowed against it. Again, it's not like a vehicle where the titled owner is actually the bank until it is paid off. Deeds are issued in the OWNER's name, same as on the title for a home...it is NOT issued in the bank's name.

Deeds are issued in the OWNER's name,
IIRC, you don't get the deed until the house loan is paid off. It shows the legal owner, just like the "pink slip" or "legal owner certificate" of a car, which you also don't see until the vehicle is paid off. I just don't see a big difference between the two.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom