Motorhome height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my experience "another way around" is often a 30+ mile detour, plus the time it takes to identify it and back-track.

The "low clearance" signs are rarely sufficiently ahead to avoid getting trapped in front of the too-low opening. I've been saved a couple times by a local coming out and telling me how to get U-turned or use a local street to circle back. If you travel where low clearances or small bridges might occur, use a trucker's road atlas to pre-check your route for low clearance or weight restrictions. There are also RV or Truck GPS units that have clearance data and also GPS add-ons (POI's) that will flag low clearance if you plan a route on the device.

Post #1... "So without climbing up there to take a measurement, what will my safe clearance be?"
NY Dutch
You can't know for sure unless you actually measure the height of your particular RV.

Well, today, traveling from home to SC and making a stop at Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Campground --- I came to a 12'2" clearance overpass. Saw it, had room to make a u-turn and we made our way around it. Man, am I glad I was paying attention. But we were traveling some back roads and street so my attention was at peak. It would not have been pretty with a coach that measures 12'10.5".

I mistakenly took the wrong exit off I 65 in Lousville onto a 1-way street. I had no choice but to continue. I rounded a corner to see I was going back underneath the interstate, then I spotted the sign " CLEARANCE 12'6"! Just as I began slowing a city bus passed me, so I figured if the city bus went through OK so could I, and I did-at a crawl. Good thing I was in the center lane.
I assumed the vent rain covers would be sacrificed, but they made it too.

Typically it will include that height of standard rooftop stuff, e.g. the a/c units.
I recently read in my manual for this motorhome that my 12' 5" does NOT include the added stuff on my roof. So to be safe, what should I add to that 12' 5" ?

BTW, I noticed in the SE they do not but the safe height on any of the tunnels, at least not on the freeways. I assume they all meet some minimum height, but what is it?

Some of them make me a bit nervous going under, unless I see a taller truck do it in front of me first.

Texas and CA puts the height on every tunnel everywhere, regardless if on the freeway or not. I have yet to see such on any FL tunnel, or am I missing seeing a sign or something?

BTW, FL has the very best smoothest roads of this entire trip. AZ and parts of Texas had the worse, all bumps. Especially I-40 through all of AZ. Constant bump, bump, bump all the way.

-Don- Everglades, FL

When I took delivery of my 5th wheel I had the dealer let me measure from my air conditioner shroud to the door opening as they backed my trailer out of their shop. Then I measured the height of the door opening.
This was all done by climbing up on top of the trailer. As this was part of my delivery I also inspected the roof of the trailer for any problems or damage that can not be seen from the ground.

my air conditioner shroud to the door opening
Why to the door opening?

What did you get for your measurement?

One of these days I will climb up to the top of mine. I want to see what my Winegard thingy really is anyway. I expect it is only an amplified antenna.

-Don- Everglades, FL

Why to the door opening?

What did you get for your measurement?

One of these days I will climb up to the top of mine. I want to see what my Winegard thingy really is anyway. I expect it is only an amplified antenna.

-Don- Everglades, FL
If I recall correctly the door was a 15 footer and I measured just over 3 ft from my trailer to the door opening. Thus I was able to determine my trailer was 11 ft 6 inches and my shop door at home measured at 11 ft 9 inches thus I knew my trailer would go into my shop.

This was done before I closed the deal to purchase the trailer.

Easy:
  • Any road in New York state that calls itself a "parkway."
  • A road in Mackinaw City, Michigan, that goes under the "Big Mac" bridge--N. Huron Ave. It is 10'6" and well-marked, but you cannot see the markers until you turn the corner. There is another one there, but I cannot find it now.
  • Canopies over a lot of older gas stations in Pennsylvania and New York.
The Zion-McCarmel Tunnel is a challenge, but with a tunnel pass, they let you go down the middle at the head of a line of cars.

Last edited:
I recently read in my manual for this motorhome that my 12' 5" does NOT include the added stuff on my roof. So to be safe, what should I add to that 12' 5" ?

BTW, I noticed in the SE they do not but the safe height on any of the tunnels, at least not on the freeways. I assume they all meet some minimum height, but what is it?

Some of them make me a bit nervous going under, unless I see a taller truck do it in front of me first.

Texas and CA puts the height on every tunnel everywhere, regardless if on the freeway or not. I have yet to see such on any FL tunnel, or am I missing seeing a sign or something?

BTW, FL has the very best smoothest roads of this entire trip. AZ and parts of Texas had the worse, all bumps. Especially I-40 through all of AZ. Constant bump, bump, bump all the way.

-Don- Everglades, FL
The maximum height before an oversize permit is required is 13'6" east of the Mississippi, 14' in the western states. Unless otherwise posted you should have at least these clearances under obstructions. Usually the minimum actual clearance is 15' to allow a margin for error. California, for example won't re-pave a highway under overpasses so they don't have to update the clearances when they add a couple inches of fresh pavement to the rest of the road.

I know I am lower than normal commercial trucks. I don’t worry about any road frequented by commercial trucks. Other roads, I check. Out west here, there just isn’t low bridges on many roads.

The maximum height before an oversize permit is required is 13'6" east of the Mississippi, 14' in the western states. Unless otherwise posted you should have at least these clearances under obstructions. Usually the minimum actual clearance is 15' to allow a margin for error. California, for example won't re-pave a highway under overpasses so they don't have to update the clearances when they add a couple inches of fresh pavement to the rest of the road.
And that makes some serious rough bumps going under every overpass in California.

And that makes some serious rough bumps going under every overpass in California.
A lot worse in AZ on I-40, but that is on top of the bridges.

Here in FL, I can barely tell when the pavement changes over or under a bridge. Not nearly as bad as the other states.

-Don- Everglades, FL

That's probably a CYA from their legal staff - they don't want to be responsible for anything that may have been added. The 12'5" should include any factory standard stuff, e.g. a/c shroud. The problem is that the Mfgr won't make a clear statement about that (the legal CYA again). There is no easy out; you have to measure it. But you don't need a micrometer either - just a number you can be comfortable with. Stand along side and run a tape measure up to some identifiable point, e.g. a piece of trim, awning bracket, etc. Then get on roof or ladder and measure above that point to the roof surface, and again the height of the highest thing above the roof (a/c shroud?). Add those up and maybe a few inches more if your confidence in your numbers is low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom