Only in California . . . .Gas station Ban?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they are staying here, there must be a reason.

Most leave CA because it is cheaper to live elsewhere. Why did you leave? What does "completely off the rails" mean in your case?

-Don- Auburn, CA
But that's thing. They're not staying there. Neither are businesses primarily due to regulation, taxes, and workforce issues.

Gas & diesel fuels sales hasn't been a profitable business for a decade or more - the money is made in the convenience store, not at the pumps.
Yah I can see that.

In europe they are tearing out pumps and replacing them with fast chargers. But many of those are pretty big travel plazas. They have great restaurants at those plazas. We enjoy travelling there. Good access and facilities.

Chargers co located at gas stations is getting super common here in BC. They even have vacuums right at the charger. Nice. This is us somewhere around horseshoe bay at a chevron gas station.
IMG_7005.jpeg

Gas & diesel fuels sales hasn't been a profitable business for a decade or more - the money is made in the convenience store, not at the pumps.
And since it takes longer to charge, perhaps those same stores will get a little more business with their charge stations.

The gas station at Cisco Grove, CA used to only have one J-1772 AC charge station (in year 2018). Now they have four J-1772, two CCS and ChaDeMo and just installed a dozen Telsa Superchargers. Larger convenience store there, of course.

Their charge rates are rather expensive, and they probably make more money on charging than with their gas/diesel sales.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
The reason people like CA is the climate. I seriously considered moving to CA myself. My paychecks would have been twice as much. So everything (like EVs) sold on a national retail price are half price percentage wise. But those things don't offset the cost of housing and taxes. 30 years ago we had 4 major factories in CA. The rising labor cost for us, our suppliers, and shipping closed all but 1 scaled down one that serves local business to provide retrofits only. CA is becoming an import/export state with less manufacturing all the time.

Many are leaving, but I think it will be quite a while before CA becomes the 2nd most populated state of all 50.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Probably true but its not so much just the people deciding to leave it's the major businesses leaving. When businesses leave the population follows then tax base erodes and to maintain services for remaining the population the State raises taxes and that increases the people leaving. California is my birth state but I'm afraid its in a deadly downward spiral.

Remember when MTBE was banned in California around the turn of the millennium? People forget what horrendous effects refineries and fuel stations have on the environment and people's health.

Since I've been alive, having lived there myself and visited family who still lives there countless times over the years, California has always tried to be one step ahead, even if somewhat radical. They are they 7th largest economy in the world and things are just different when trying to prioritize things for that many people in such a HUGE state.
CA is only 3rd largest state, can fit into AK 3x.

Most leave CA because it is cheaper to live elsewhere. Why did you leave? What does "completely off the rails" mean in your case?

-Don- Auburn, CA
It mostly had to do with politics, but I'm not going to debate anyone about theirs.

Secondary to that would be the real estate prices; I could get almost 10 times the property here for the same price as a similar place in CA. I live rural, on 10 acres of mostly wooded property and have shot deer and turkeys within a stones throw of my back door. I've seen bears on my trail camera (and once in person), and the abundance of other wildlife is amazing. I couldn't have afforded anything like this in CA.

Third would be the tax rate. They don't tax military pensions here, and they deduct $6000 off the top of any other government pension - no matter where it's from - and both my wife and I have government pensions so that's $12,000 of withholding right there. And they don't tax Social Security (yes, I know CA doesn't either), and we have two of those coming in also. All in all, I figure our money goes about 40% farther here as that is about the amount of our income that we don't use each month and just put into savings. And we don't scrimp on our budget.

Don, you did two cardinal sins to keep people from discussing a topic rationally. You used the words “California” and “gas”. To top it off, you mis-stated the “ban” which isn’t a ban. It is just an additional requirement for gasoline stations. You could have given the same headlong when the old metal, rusting tanks were prohibited. Also of note is many new fuel stations I have seen in multiple states are adding EV chargers without any mandate. It just makes for a solid future-forward business.

It mostly had to do with politics, but I'm not going to debate anyone about theirs.
You're no fun!;)

But you can even find people who agree with your politics here, regardless of what they are.

Sounds like all your reasons are about the same as most who leave CA. Mostly money related stuff and politics.

Otherwise, CA is a mixture of everything one could want.

and have shot deer and turkeys within a stones throw of my back door.
I often have deer and wild turkeys right on my property here. Very common. But cannot shoot them here. The deer here seem smarter than most. I watch them look both ways before crossing the roads here! Have yet to see a road killed deer around here yet I see the deer every evening around here.

OTOH, I have seen some very stupid coyotes around. Who says they are smart? I have seen lucky ones, but really dumb luck with skillful drivers.

We also have Mtn Lions (cougars) here. There was a dead mostly eaten fawn on my front lawn here a few years ago.

I saw one Mtn Lion myself about a mile from here, at night when I was driving back here.

At my house in Reno, just tons of rabbits and very fat coyotes!

I am at around 1,400' elevation in the west Sierra foothills.

-Don- Auburn, CA

You used the words “California” and “gas”.
I was using the same words in the article:

"Major US city to ban new gas stations in drastic turn towards EVs - and locals are furious"

So it was MSN to use those two words. I only repeated them.

But I do agree that is a new requirement, not really a ban.

And I wish they would do it the opposite. Everywhere EXCEPT for Sacramento! Not needed in Sacramento. At least not yet. Charge stations in every direction in Sacramento and near it. Even here in Auburn, more charge stations than I can count. I am fairly close to Sacramento.

One of my big complaints about Charge stations is how they group them together in the same areas. They need to be spread out MUCH wider, IMO, to the less populated areas.

It's okay as is for my Tesla, but not for my electric motorcycles with less than half the range of my Tesla.

-Don- Auburn, CA

As CA remains the state MOST people in the USA choose to live in. Almost 40 million people prefer CA to any other state.

Well as I said I'm happy to have moved to MI.. Grew up here have no desire to leave.
As for the 40 Million who prefer CA.. Well I used to have an online friend who penned a rule. He called it "The Law of Requisite Choice" as I recll "You live only so long as Total Choices is greater than Fatal Choices" (Alas he ran out of choices).

Choice is good.. I choose Michigan.. Feel free to choose any of the other 49 Or our Possessions.. or another country.. I won't argue with your choice. After all the USA has only 50 Most Beautiful States.

You're no fun!;)

But you can even find people who agree with your politics here, regardless of what they are.

Sounds like all your reasons are about the same as most who leave CA. Mostly money related stuff and politics.

Otherwise, CA is a mixture of everything one could want.

I often have deer and wild turkeys right on my property here. Very common. But cannot shoot them here. The deer here seem smarter than most. I watch them look both ways before crossing the roads here! Have yet to see a road killed deer around here yet I see the deer every evening around here.

OTOH, I have seen some very stupid coyotes around. Who says they are smart? I have seen lucky ones, but really dumb luck with skillful drivers.

We also have Mtn Lions (cougars) here. There was a dead mostly eaten fawn on my front lawn here a few years ago.

I saw one Mtn Lion myself about a mile from here, at night when I was driving back here.

At my house in Reno, just tons of rabbits and very fat coyotes!

I am at around 1,400' elevation in the west Sierra foothills.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Oh, I forgot - I saw a Mountain Lion behind my shop back in 2016. Middle of July, middle of the day, 100 degrees and 70% humidity. No clue what it was doing out that time of day. They're usually more crepuscular and nocturnal. I also saw a bobcat twice.

Arkansas Game & Fish refuses to admit there are mountain lions in the state, even though half the people I know have seen one, including my wife. But, if they admit they have any kind of a population then they would have to spend the money to manage them.

Oh, I forgot - I saw a Mountain Lion behind my shop back in 2016. Middle of July, middle of the day, 100 degrees and 70% humidity. No clue what it was doing out that time of day. They're usually more crepuscular and nocturnal. I also saw a bobcat twice.

Arkansas Game & Fish refuses to admit there are mountain lions in the state, even though half the people I know have seen one, including my wife. But, if they admit they have any kind of a population then they would have to spend the money to manage them.
In 1977 about 4PM I had to slow down for a mountain lion that was crossing I35 near Henryetta, OK. Nobody believed me even though my wife was a witness. By 2004 local ranchers were petitioning the state to control their population due to the large number of cattle being killed. They are moving east.

Secondary to that would be the real estate prices; I could get almost 10 times the property here for the same price as a similar place in CA.

Third would be the tax rate. They don't tax military pensions here, and they deduct $6000 off the top of any other government pension - no matter where it's from - and both my wife and I have government pensions so that's $12,000 of withholding right there.
Exactly why I decided to stay in MS. Most rate it as the cheapest place to retire. You could get 20 times the property here as in CA. MS has zero tax on any retirement plan or pension. Plus after I filed for the MS senior homestead exemption the property tax on my house and 1 acre went to $27 in 2017 dropping to $9 this year.

Outside the large cities like Jackson and near Memphis it's like living in the 1950's. 3 yo kids riding their tricycles on the streets unattended and people don't need to lock their doors. My neighborhood is the border line to the city. There's never been a break-in since 1960 when the first house was built.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom