Only in California . . . .Gas station Ban?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 1977 about 4PM I had to slow down for a mountain lion that was crossing I35 near Henryetta, OK. Nobody believed me even though my wife was a witness. By 2004 local ranchers were petitioning the state to control their population due to the large number of cattle being killed. They are moving east.
Indiana re-established bobcats and mountain lions in S. Indiana, specifically Crane naval weapons depot, ostensibly to control the exploding whitetail deer population. The bobcats and mountain lions soon discovered a fat young calf was much easier to catch than wild deer. Thankfully there is a provision in state law permitting farmers and ranchers to protect their crops from damage by wild animals. Bobcats are now under control, and now timber rattlesnakes are also under control, The workers at Crane would open up an armament bunker that had been sealed for years and find a nest of rattlesnakes.
The remaining wild species that is not under control is wild pigs/hogs. They can easily ruin an acre of new beans or corn in one night

If I were to move, I would choose between AZ, TX and FL.

3 States (Well two for sure) I'd avoid if I were moving. But then I like the northern states for many reasons... Or as I tell folks.. When it gets cold I can always add another layer but when it gets hot like 100+ hot. there's a limit to how many layers I can take off. (That is in fact a major part of this post)

When it gets cold I can always add another layer but when it gets hot like 100+ hot. there's a limit to how many layers I can take off.
In biology we learned humans are a tropical species. Our body temperature of 98.6 reflects the average temperature where we evolved. But our 98.6 body temperatures limited survival during the ice age to wearing the skins of animals better adapted to the cold.

So it's easier to acclimate to 100 degree heat than 10 degrees. After living in MS for 10 years my wife and I went back to OK to visit our kids. We walked out of the hotel and discussed if we needed to get our light jackets. Then realized the car and bank thermometers were reading 92. You get acclimated to 100 degrees and 80% humidity and 92 does feel chilly. And easier than wearing the thick skins of animals.

They say "it's a dry heat" and 15% humidity does make a huge difference. But the daily non stop 15 mph wind in OK makes just as much difference.

^ One of the reasons we are considering a part or full time residence somewhere warmer... We've struggled with the depressing winters here in the Northwest. Cold, dark, wet. There's nowhere more beautiful in the summer, and on the few days the weather randomly hits perfectly in the spring and fall, it's like a super-high. Late fall through Spring though, ugh. It gets really old. Both of us grew up here, too.

We've also hit that spot in life where we want to simplify. Reduce clutter. Have new experiences. Really focus on the next 15 years and getting out of it everything we can.

Part of that was why we purchased an EV. Instead of piss all over the idea, why not try it? We actually kind of like it.

Funny about CA home prices. Expensive, yes. I have same-age family there. Home prices were staggering even 15-20 years ago when all of us were just starting out. But they've appreciated in kind. Not unlike here in the Northwest.

Gotta say though. I don’t think I would be investing in gas stations right now. There are literally less cars every day equipped with gas tanks. It’s literally a shrinking market.
Is that still true when a lot of manufacturers are saying whoa to a lot of their EV production. Will the demand keep rising or do a lot of people that feel the need for an EV already have one.

I'll never move from my house on the LA/OC county line in CA... But if I did it would just be down the coast 60-80 miles to N. San Diego County.. Really nice area with a great climate.. Out of state maybe mid to South Florida on the coast... I like warm weather.;) ...
Butch

California's state income tax is what prevents us from moving there as full-time residents currently. That makes a difference in our retirement timeline and other goals.
If you keep your house in WA you will not have to pay any income tax in CA.

I do not pay CA income tax. And NV has none. So I pay no state income tax.

-Don- Reno, NV

If you keep your house in WA you will not have to pay any income tax in CA.

I do not pay CA income tax. And NV has none. So I pay no state income tax.

-Don- Reno, NV

Perhaps easier done when retired. Both of us still work. Where we perform our work can put us and our employers on the hook for CA taxes and regulations. We know people who skirt the rules and that's not interesting to us for a variety of reasons.

Funny about CA home prices. Expensive, yes. I have same-age family there. Home prices were staggering even 15-20 years ago when all of us were just starting out. But they've appreciated in kind. Not unlike here in the Northwest.
About 10 years into my full time career my dad drove me into a redeveloping neighborhood and suggested I buy one of the very nice 2 story houses.

The house was about 5X my annual salary and I lived overseas - The idea was preposterous to me. Those same houses are turning over at around 5X my career ending salary.

My mom and dad paid $16k for their 3br stick and carboard Ca. house. That house last turned over for around $550k.

The LA "basin" is pretty unique. Surrounded by mountains on pretty much all sides the land area is truly limited hence crazy-assed prices.

In regards to temps? I am a water baby and sun baby. The high desert out west is almost ideal. Temps are high in the summer days but it always cools at night. If you are on the coast the sea breezes takes a lot of the edge off and because it is dry, the human perspiration machine works pretty well as long as one stays hydrated. This makes it the ideal climate for me.

I lived in Asia for 30 years and now Florida. Humidity is draining. But once again if you can get close to sea breezes it is totally tolerable.

The thing about snowy/icy winters is that even when the snow is not falling, doing basically anything outdoors is miserable (to me) - At least here where it is hot you can get an early start and quit before it gets to cold or, like now, stay in during the morning and work outside in the afternoons when things warm up.

I will admit that mid-summer in Florida there is no escape other than A/C or heading north - LOL...

Is that still true when a lot of manufacturers are saying whoa to a lot of their EV production. Will the demand keep rising or do a lot of people that feel the need for an EV already have one.
Hard to say. Who can predict the future. But right now EV growth continues to remain strong in the world.

The manufacturers who are saying whoa are doing so because they can’t sell their EV’s at prices competitive with BYD and tesla. It makes sense for them to stop selling at a loss. But BYD and Tesla will continue to take market share from them. It’s probably a good idea for those saying whoa to figure out a way to compete. The amount of vehicles being manufactured that don’t have gas tanks, exhaust systems, crank cases and transmissions is still growing pretty quick.

I think once BYD gets some factories in Mexico we will all have more choices of EV’s to choose from.

Would not the opposite be the problem. If he lived in CA and worked in WA and did not pay income tax that would be a problem.

That is correct. It's a matter of where a primary residence is maintained and claimed for tax purposes.

The other issue is employment. Spending ~30 days or more working from another state potentially puts an employer on the hook for out-of-state regulations and income taxes for the employee. One of our employers doesn't care, so long as they are informed so they can keep accurate records. They are set up to have employees in all 50 states. The other employer does care and it would not be allowable to split half the year working from another state.

Hard to say. Who can predict the future. But right now EV growth continues to remain strong in the world.

The manufacturers who are saying whoa are doing so because they can’t sell their EV’s at prices competitive with BYD and tesla. It makes sense for them to stop selling at a loss. But BYD and Tesla will continue to take market share from them. It’s probably a good idea for those saying whoa to figure out a way to compete. The amount of vehicles being manufactured that don’t have gas tanks, exhaust systems, crank cases and transmissions is still growing pretty quick.

I think once BYD gets some factories in Mexico we will all have more choices of EV’s to choose from.
I think the reason why most are slowing down is that they have to sell them for much more than ICE vehicles or make less money.

It doesn't make any sense to me to compare US EV sales to EV sales in Europe. Individual countries in Europe are smaller than many of our states, everything is more compacted together so they drive fewer miles and even use a car 25% less often.

But the real reason is, gasoline costs twice as much in Europe. Even gas prices in Canada are more than 1/3 higher which explains why EV is more popular in Canada.
I wasn't

I know they had many reasons. They needed incentives to teach their old dogs new tricks.

I wonder if we should do that same stuff here in the USA. We do a little, but not as much as in Norway.

How are EVs doing there in Scottland?

I will check . . . 1 in seven are EVs in Scottland. A lot more than here in the USA (1 in a hundred). But are 43% of new car sales here.

-Don- Reno, NV
You can drive coast to coast in just over an hour. Huge incentives to get a charger at your home initially and cheaper electricity
Think those have mostly either gone or been drastically reduced.

We're not currently interested in buying one.

Would not the opposite be the problem. If he lived in CA and worked in WA and did not pay income tax that would be a problem.
In can get a bit complicated in some cases, but usually you won’t be taxed on where the income is earned; you’ll just be taxed on where you live.

I used to live about one mile from the CA border at my Cold Springs Valley, NV house that I sold a couple of years ago. The guy next door to me worked for the CA Forestry Department. He did NOT have to pay CA State income tax. He had no home in CA.

It can get complicated if you also own a house where you work. Then you may need to prove that is NOT your primary residence as it will usually be assume your home will be in the state where you work.

-Don- Reno, NV

I think the reason why most are slowing down is that they have to sell them for much more than ICE vehicles or make less money.
Probably. Legacy auto manufactures have tough decisions to make. There will be a thinning of the herd for sure.

Regional pricing comes into play as well. Where we are a tesla AWD model Y is cheaper than a grand Cherokee which is roughly its competition. We have had both and the grand Cherokee doesn’t hold a candle to the tesla. And that is obviously reflected in its sales.

Last year the best selling car in the world was electric. (Tesla model Y). Whether it keeps that title is hard to say as BYD has some nice offerings in that size and class. But until BYD gets access to the North American market…and specifically the US market it might be hard to oust tesla from that position. The US EV market isn’t huge but they do like mid size SUV’s. BYD wants a piece of that.

Then again, there are some gas models that are close as well.

Time will tell.

And, California has the highest state exodus in the country, so much so Newsome and his cronies are wondering where they'll make up the lost tax revenues. Add to the list the amount of major corporations that are leaving and they're in a mess of their own doing. I believe CA was $68 billion in arrears before Covid hit but got bailed out with all of the billions thrown around in the name of Covid relief. Same thing here in NY where former governor Cuomo was begging at the feet of the Feds to pick up the $15B tab the state couldn't come up with. Visited once two years ago, and would never go back.

Post 6, ICE engines aren't going away anytime soon nor are gas stations. And, national stats show a rapid falloff in the sale of EV vehicles. In the Northeast mileage is terrible due to winter and the cold and in the Southwest an almost similar effect because of the strains of having to run the AC at a high rate continuously. Toyota just made a major announcement that they are shifting away from EVs to focus short-term on plug-in hybrids while they perfect the technology for hydrogen-powered vehicles. GM is offering $10-$15K discounts on their Cadillac EVs because they aren't selling. Tesla just lowered the price on the Model 3 and the other MFGs can't match the discounts. Finally, once the old man is out of the big house in D.C. you will see a vast reversal of his asinine policies pushing EVs to benefit his Chinese battery makers.
AT: your reply makes the most sense of all I've read today, I don't understand where all the patriotic common sense people have gone?

Back
Top Bottom