RV defense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to sicker about those like Rod (Oldgator) being nervous when they see someone with a piece in open carry.
I agree with you. I have seen a few people open carry in Nevada. Some I know well, others who I never before met. What open carry tells us is that the person carrying has a perfectly clean record. No convicted felon would open carry anywhere.

One of the guys I know who likes to open carry is Greg, a FFL. The one I use in Cold Springs Valley. A few blocks away from the house I sold last year. He certainly knows the gun laws better than most Nevada cops! He gave my class for my CCW renewal. This guy here. Very well educated and intelligent guy!

-Don- Auburn, CA

I find it amazing that nobody in the group knew that the old Ma-Duce was another of John Moses Browning's creations.
Probably most of those in my infantry class have never fired a weapon of any type until they got into the army, so that shouldn't be too surprising.

I am not sure, but I think I was one of those. I do not recall owning or using a firearm before I was in the army.

And I had no interest in firearms for many years after I got out of the army.

-Don- Auburn, CA

In many states an RV is classified as a 'Housecar and/or dwelling' (same a a home). One does not need a CCW permit if stored in an RV. Open container laws are also exempt in many states in an RV so long as the container is not up front.

My 1972 VW Westy camper is registered as a 'housecar' (CA.) as is my class A RV.

Regarding firearms in my vehicle and encounters with LEOs.

I follow a few simple rules.
  • To the best of my ability to research the various state laws, I am always legal in whatever state I am traveling to or through. I have this and keep it updated:
    2023-cover500.png

Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States.
If I do have an encounter with a LEO (speeding, tail light, whatever):
  1. I always follow the law WRT informing the LEO about whether I am carrying.
  2. I do my best to ensure that the LEO feels safe at all times. For example, I turn on the interior lights if stopped at night;
  3. If I am telling the LEO about my gun, my hands are visible and on the steering wheel.
  4. Once I inform him, I ask HIM what does he want me to do and then I follow his instructions.
I've only had one encounter when I was armed and the state law required me to inform. All went very smoothly.

More like thinking through scenarios. In the event of an accident, just about anything you have stored in your RV might just end up in plain sight.
I was in such a scenario when the LEO made that comment. During the previous night someone had stolen my Jeep out of the campsite. They had also tried the door to the RV in the middle of the night according to my wife (again, I never woke up).
In the conclusion of the whole deal, I got to thinking. The Jeep was parked in front of the RV. I would have had to open the door, step down to the ground and turn toward the front of the RV to see what was happening. Then I would have had to decide if I wanted to shoot the guy.
In the meantime, the thief, who (we found out later) was already wanted for murder in another state only had to straighten up from inside the Jeep, point and fire at me. Who do you think would have wound up dead or wounded?
After thinking about that scenario for a while, I decided that the best thing had actually happened. The thief tried the door and couldn't get in, so he stole the Jeep and went on his way. 3 weeks later an alert NPS employee spotted the stolen Jeep in another campground further along the Natchez Trace and called the NPS LEOs. The LEO's came out, captured the thief, recovered my Jeep and got it back to me.

As far as my guns being exposed in an accident. Again, I'd have bigger problems than the guns if that happened.

Does it have to work? If not, here is a poor man's LeMat replica.

-Don- Auburn, CA
No, the idea was to be able to demonstrate it to the Scouts (14 & over) at our shooting sports week, and maybe even let some of them shoot it. Thanks anyway. Dixie used to have one in their catalog. It appears to be longer available, though holster and presentation case are. I did find another one online, but still pricey for my purpose. Thanks, though.

No, the idea was to be able to demonstrate it to the Scouts (14 & over) at our shooting sports week, and maybe even let some of them shoot it.
One thing I have never done was to fire a black powder firearm. But it does sound kinda interesting to me. I have many antique firearms but I know very little about them. Tom collected such and had a C&R License. When he died, I ended up with his collection of antique firearms. He only cared for antique and old western firearms (especially Winchesters). I got interest in guns because of him. I already knew the basics from being in the army infantry. But I had interest in much the opposite from Tom's interest. I would collect guns in Nevada, but they had to be illegal here in CA before I would buy such! I would collect more military style guns such as AK47, SKS, AR15's Colt .45's and other such stuff that was close to what was used in Vietnam. I mainly liked the scary looking black guns that cause all the controversy here in CA.

gunsafe5.jpg

The AR15 pistol below, I put together myself, starting with a blank lower receiver:
AR15pistol.jpg

Value of this one below is unknown because it has not been offered for sale for many years (but is worth at least a few thousand bucks at the very min):

VNComAR15.jpg

VNCOMAR.jpg

All of above are illegal here in CA, but legal in Nevada where they are kept.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
One thing I have never done was to fire a black powder firearm.
I don't care much for most modern firearms, but muzzleloaders (not the cartridge style of black powder) are much more enjoyable -- I don't get so bored just pulling the trigger, but rather I have to rebuild the cartridge each time, one part at a time, with the breech end of the barrel being the cartridge casing (or the cylinder, in case of cap and ball).

And it's fun to teach the kids the history of these things, showing them how things are done, teaching them firearm safety FIRST, starting with the three rules of gun safety, then enforcing it (they pick it up quickly), then watching their proficiency increase over time, even year to year.

BTW, the week always begins with the NRA's Home Firearm Safety course, even for sixth year kids. And ALL of the adult staff must be NRA instructor certified in whichever discipline(s) (not members, just certified) they work.

Even a lawyer won't do you much good if you break the gun laws in some states. You will go to jail, the lawyer will just take your money and maybe help get a shorter sentence. That said...
That depends, as well.

You can get Concealed Carry Insurance, which puts lawyers who specialize in gun laws, and who are on retainer to get you out ASAP, at least on bail. They are also extremely well versed in the laws of that particular state, and can many times thwart those overeager DAs who wants to make an example out of you, and they will get the case against you dropped when it can be proven to be "justified" by a good lawyer, which these CCW insurance lawyers are supposed to be. If I was going to be carrying daily or going through a particularly rough toward 2A state, for whatever reason, then I would make sure I had that insurance. Most are reasonably priced, though for the most "protection" you have a pay a premium price. Even then, it's not too bad. Still, just another of those "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" kinda things.

One thing I have never done was to fire a black powder firearm. But it does sound kinda interesting to me.
One of the first firearms I ever shot was a Kentucky Rifle kit that a friend of my Dad's put together. I think he got it from Sears, too. It had the wood stock, barrel, flintlock, rod, and all, and shot .50 cal lead bullets. The barrel was so heavy that, at 15, in order to hit my target, I had to lift the end of the barrel above what I wanted to hit, and slowly let it drop until it was right on target, and pull the trigger, which caused the drop to pause for a second, and then it just kept moving. We were shooting at soda cans, and it would put a hole in the front about and inch to and inch and a half in the front, and the back was usually either split completely or just gone! There really wasn't any perceptible "kick" to it because of the heaviness of the barrel. It sure was fun to shoot, though!!

The "funnest" weapon I've shot is an SKS, similar to the AKs, but takes a slightly different magazine. To pop off 30 rounds one right after the other as fast as you can pull the trigger really is something to experience!

The weapons I wish I hadn't gotten rid of, though, are the 1898 Mosin Nagant in 7/62x54R bolt action rifle, which could go through both sides of a 1/4-1/2" thick steel fence post! (Don't ask me how I know), and the Winchester 94 lever action I got at a gun show in .30-30 caliber.

I was in such a scenario when the LEO made that comment. During the previous night someone had stolen my Jeep out of the campsite. They had also tried the door to the RV in the middle of the night according to my wife (again, I never woke up).
In the conclusion of the whole deal, I got to thinking. The Jeep was parked in front of the RV. I would have had to open the door, step down to the ground and turn toward the front of the RV to see what was happening. Then I would have had to decide if I wanted to shoot the guy.
In the meantime, the thief, who (we found out later) was already wanted for murder in another state only had to straighten up from inside the Jeep, point and fire at me. Who do you think would have wound up dead or wounded?
After thinking about that scenario for a while, I decided that the best thing had actually happened. The thief tried the door and couldn't get in, so he stole the Jeep and went on his way. 3 weeks later an alert NPS employee spotted the stolen Jeep in another campground further along the Natchez Trace and called the NPS LEOs. The LEO's came out, captured the thief, recovered my Jeep and got it back to me.

As far as my guns being exposed in an accident. Again, I'd have bigger problems than the guns if that happened.
Having a self defense firearm does not mean using it is always the best choice.

WRT the accident... being arrested for possession of illegal firearms is an order of magnitude greater trouble than having a traffic accident.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom