RV defense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, for home defense we opted for revolvers loaded with shotshell-style pellets (forgive me, I don't remember what they are called).
For this reason I often have a Taurus Judge with me in the RV. It will shoot .410 shotshells or .45 long Colt. There a couple self sefense rounds available in 4.10

Attachments

• Taurus Judge .45 .410.jpg
    Taurus Judge .45 .410.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2
1898 Mosin Nagant in 7/62x54R bolt action rifle
I have one of those with no import marks. Made in the USSR. I think that is the loudest firearm I ever fired.

Didja all hear it a few years ago?;)

I think after firing that is when I discovered I like 5.7 x 28 mm the most, the smallest center-fire round. Not so ridiculously loud.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Actually that's the design of the platform. 45 is probably the most common caliber you'll find on a 1911 but there are others, with 9mm being quite popular now as well. (I like 45 acp. It's old and slow but gets the job done, just like me)
Yeps. I have a 1911 in .45 and also one in .22LR. You get to shoot a 1911 for a lot le$$ w/ .22LR, and the recoil is very mild.

That reminds me of when my Army AIT class had it's very first lesson on the M2 50 cal machine gun.

"Who designed the 50 Cal Machine Gun?" as we were looking at one from a distance. First question we were asked, just to see if any of us would have a clue. People would guess "Colt, etc." and all answers were incorrect.
John Moses Browning. Bunch of companies made them under license but Browning designed it. Also the 1911 platform.

Regarding firearms in my vehicle and encounters with LEOs.

I follow a few simple rules.
  • To the best of my ability to research the various state laws, I am always legal in whatever state I am traveling to or through. I have this and keep it updated:
    2023-cover500.png

Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States.
If I do have an encounter with a LEO (speeding, tail light, whatever):
  1. I always follow the law WRT informing the LEO about whether I am carrying.
  2. I do my best to ensure that the LEO feels safe at all times. For example, I turn on the interior lights if stopped at night;
  3. If I am telling the LEO about my gun, my hands are visible and on the steering wheel.
  4. Once I inform him, I ask HIM what does he want me to do and then I follow his instructions.
I've only had one encounter when I was armed and the state law required me to inform. All went very smoothly.

^ This.

Know the laws of reciprocity when armed and traveling in states other than where your CCL was issued. Also, as one who was in (federal) law enforcement for a while, always tell the officer what you going to do then after he says OK, then do it. Such as.. Officer: "License Please." You: "Yes Sir/Ma'am. It is in my glove box. I'll have to reach for it." Or, "Yes Sir. It's in my wallet on my right rear pocket. I'll have to reach for it." Then when the Officer says "OK" then, and only then, reach for it. Works wonders for not getting a ticket. And if he/she asks where your weapon is DON'T REACH FOR IT! Keep your hands on the wheel and tell him where it is. They will most likely tell you to NOT reach for it and you'll have no problem.

Always worked for me even when I was on both sides of the stop.

Anyone that thinks a shotgun will not penetrate a wall of at least one and probably two RV walls has not shot very much to find out. I had a part of a wall, built with 2 x 4's and drywall on both sides that I shot with my 12 ga. At 15 ft, the first hole was about 3" and the second hole was about 5".
I am a hunter education instructor and we demonstrate the power of shotguns, 22's, 30-30's. Most people have no conception of the power of these firearms.

Anyone that thinks a shotgun will not penetrate a wall of at least one and probably two RV walls has not shot very much to find out. I had a part of a wall, built with 2 x 4's and drywall on both sides that I shot with my 12 ga. At 15 ft, the first hole was about 3" and the second hole was about 5".
I am a hunter education instructor and we demonstrate the power of shotguns, 22's, 30-30's. Most people have no conception of the power of these firearms.

LOL! You are correct, Sir. LOTS of people speculate on what a firearm can and cannot do. Oddly enough, often without ever even having fired one!

Years ago I heard on the radio an announcer talking about a prison riot in which the guards were firing shotguns at the prisoners, but they were only using bird shot. Made it sound harmless. I use to shoot our 1914 manufactured Winchester Model 1912 12 gauge pump loaded up with bird shot. It's quite destructive at 15 feet.

John Moses Browning. Bunch of companies made them under license but Browning designed it. Also the 1911 platform.
Yeah, perhaps the question really was who made them, not who designed it. I don' know why I said "designed" there.

But I wonder why I cannot now remember the exact question. It was only 54 years ago! ;)

But I know it works that way. Stoner designed the AR15 when he was the Chief Engineer at ARmaLite. Now hundreds of different companies use that design.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Yeah, perhaps the question really was who made them, not who designed it. I don' know why I said "designed" there.

But I wonder why I cannot now remember the exact question. It was only 54 years ago! ;)

But I know it works that way. Stoner designed the AR15 when he was the Chief Engineer at ARmaLite. Now hundreds of different companies use that design.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Yeah. And lots of folks say the the "AR" stands for Assault Rifle (usually preceded by the word 'evil'.) LOL

IMO a stainless steel revolver is the best choice inside a high moisture environment like an RV. No rust and way less likely to misfire when left loaded for years. Over time the magazine spring of a semi automatic will cause rounds to become oval shaped and fail to go into battery. Yes, I've had that happen. My RV gun is a 2 round 38 stainless Remington type derringer. Being so small it is easy to hide. The first round is snake shot. It is very unlikely to be lethal but a great deterrent. With a 2" barrel I doubt it would penetrate the walls of my RV much less a neighbor's RV. The second round is a hollow point designed for short barrels which should be lethal if needed. In such a small space having time to get off more than 2 shots is unlikely, and unlikely to miss at point blank range.

Conversely my home weapons are a Colt New Service 45 revolver with the first round being snake shot for 2 reasons. Because there are deadly water moccasins from a small lake on my property and because I'd still rather deter a human than kill one. But if not deterred the other 5 shots are very lethal LeHigh Defense specialty ammo with each round loaded with 4 flat disks and a hollowpoint in front. Unfortunately no longer available after LeHigh was bought out by Wilson. If a hoard of zombies (more likely a biker gang) invades I bought a Saiga shotgun right before the Russian ban. With a 20 round 12 ga magazine it is truly a weapon of war.

Also, a revolver makes the best sense for someone who may have some firearms expereince but does not necessarily practice regularly. With a semi-auto one has to know the manual of arms procedures when manipulating the safety, clearing a malfunction, magazine reloading, etc. With a revolver it's just pull the trigger. And I agree that stainless would be advantageous for a warm, moist, environment.

Here's the scenario under which I'd probably wish I had weapon. I'm camped along the right of way on a highway heading to some destination in Alaska. During the early morning hours, there's a potential intruder that may want to check out the contents of my refrigerator. He may weigh 5-600 lbs or more and is not deterred by the click click sound. My only weapon is an old hatchet I keep next to my bed. A can of paper spray and a fire extinguisher that I could possibly use to temporarily blind him before smacking him on the head. So my options are pretty limited. Then it occurs to me. Get the keys and drive away.

I don't own a weapon. In the 14 years we've been camping, I've never felt the need to have a weapon. In fact the only time I think of owning a weapon is when I read these forums. There are two rules I always follow that has kept up safe. First I also don't camp at any location where I don't feel comfortable. For me that's any location without other campers within a few miles or other forms of human life. Second, even if rule number one is met, the individuals near by look like they might be interested in the contents of my refrigerator.

First, I"m reminded of the cartoon of a yard sign stating "They don't own a firearm" with an arrow pointing next door.

Second, I'm impressed with the fertile imaginations of the anti-weapons members here thinking up scenarios for us toters.

Thirdly, the possibility of attack is not limited to campgrounds. It's anytime the RV isn't rolling, including traffic lights. Although the risk if an RVjacking is infinatesmally small (I've never heard of one), it's not impossible. Robberies at fuel stops -- especially fuel stops -- are a distinct possibility. There's even a thread about that here somewhere. I'm not ready to be the least bit slack about my wife's safety especially, nor my own. We're both old enough to appear to be soft targets. We aren't. We travel with a revolver and two powerful tasers.

Yeah. And lots of folks say the the "AR" stands for Assault Rifle (usually preceded by the word 'evil'.) LOL
I remember 40-50 years ago when the insurance underwriter idiots decided that BMW touring bikes were superbikes because of their silhouettes and shot their premiums sky high.

Second, I'm impressed with the fertile imaginations of the anti-weapons members here thinking up scenarios for us toters.
If you're referring to my post, first and foremost, I'm not anti-weapons. Never said I was and don't think there's a scenario where my feelings might change.

Second and more important, I am for laws that make gun ownership as challenging as getting a drivers license. That includes both written and whatever the equivalent of a driving test would be.

Third and for me the most important, an honest and open discussion of how and why, an otherwise less than brilliant 17 year old who broke numerous laws and killed two people not only became a national hero but dinner guest of the President of the United States.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom