Shell starts to close gas stations.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm pretty much "Old School"
I never start fueling and go off to the rest room or into the store, or take the dog for a walk while the thing is fueling up.
There are too many things that can go wrong for me to even think about it.

I'm sure that with EVs there may be an opportunity to re-think that position, given the charging times being discussed.

It takes quite a while to fill up a large fuel tank. I don't understand why they cannot go into the store as it is filling up as I often do with my 80-gallon gas tank to fill up.

By the time the tank is full, I am ready to drive away.

-Don- Reno, NV
You walk away from the pump while it's running and you will end up filling up someone else's vehicle.

You walk away from the pump while it's running and you will end up filling up someone else's vehicle.
Our DP has a fill port on both sides, but they fill the same tank. If I were to try filling from both sides at the same time, and if the concrete pad wasn't level (tilting slightly), I could be pumping diesel from one side and out the other :eek:

There are WM's in many places where people geographically aren't inclined to purchase an EV
Charge stations are not like gas stations. The ones close to home are useless (in most cases). By far, most of the people at charge stations are from at least 100 miles away. Even 100 miles would be too close to be useful with my LR (Long Range) Tesla. 200-250 miles from home will be about right for my Tesla, unless I am speeding all the way or if it's extra cold, etc. It can go farther, but I am too chicken to let it get too low.

-Don- Reno, NV

I'm a little surprised Walmart hasn't also gotten into the wholesale gas business, although that's more of a Sam's Club thing I guess. Still, with their stores in such rural locations, they seem to have a business model that puts everything else in town out of business...why not the local gas station too!
Many Walmarts have gas stations, typically the Murphy's brand but other brands in different regions. And space-permitting, some Walmarts have auto service centers

I'm sure that with EVs there may be an opportunity to re-think that position, given the charging times being discussed.
There is no way possible to remove the charging from any locked up EV. Even my motorcycles lock in the charge plug until I use a key to turn the bike on.

EVs will automatically release the charging lock when the charge is full. But only then. Then it will be okay with me if somebody unplugs mine to charge theirs, if no other charge stations are available. It could even save a person from idle fees. But some people have a hangup about that. The screen will usually say "charge completed" when the charge lock is released, so others will know.

After the charge is completed, or removed, it will have to be activated again to be used, which means nobody can charge up on my payment.

-Don- Reno, NV

I never had that happen in the countless times I have done such.

-Don- Reno, NV
Neither have I, but I have heard of it happening over the years and it has become a real problem in the past few months.

Many Walmarts have gas stations, typically the Murphy's brand but other brands in different regions. And space-permitting, some Walmarts have auto service centers

I've seen the ones with auto service centers, but don't recall seeing a Walmart with its own fueling station or under the "Murphy" brand I think was described above. But, we don't have many Walmarts near home, and as a general rule we avoid them on the road, so I am far removed from most of their offerings.

Neither have I, but I have heard of it happening over the years and it has become a real problem in the past few months.

Really? The hose even stretches far enough? Never seen it happen, hasn't happened to me. But I also don't leave any of my rigs unattended when fueling with dino juices.

Really? The hose even stretches far enough? Never seen it happen, hasn't happened to me. But I also don't leave any of my rigs unattended when fueling with dino juices.
It's people who watch for someone gassing up and leaving their vehicle unattended in the process, then they scurry over with a 5-gal can and fill it up. Or someone just on the other side of the same pump island simply stepping through, grabbing the hose and pulling it over to their side. If you're in the store for more than a few minutes they can gas up and get out of there before you return.

Anyhoo, I hope the coolant issue is no big deal.
Already taken care of. Took around 20 minutes total. The battery coolant was no more than a hair below the "min" mark in the reservoir. I put in about a half cup of G48 to get it to the full mark. And then checked for errors in the service mode. To my surprise, it erased all records of low coolant. Doesn't say it was low and doesn't it say any has been added. It simply erased all messages about it.

The errors shown below have to do with when I changed my charging ECU for CCS adapter support on Jan 30. I see no way to clear those. If I knew I was going to get those errors, I would have not played around with it as much as I was changing it. Stuff like seeing what error I would get if I left a certain ECU plug disconnected. I didn't know those would show as permanent errors that I cannot clear.

The "Gateway (GTW) Locked" message is normal, it means communications between some of the car's systems is on hold while in the Service Mode.

Here are the alerts, before and after:

Before 1: (see bottom red line "alerts to check: 1".
Alt2Check.JPG

Before 2: (see "Active Alerts")
coolantLow.JPG

After adding the half cup G48 Tesla battery coolant (The coolant is blue in color):
NOactAlts.JPG

I discovered something handy in the process. If there is an error, I simply select "manual" and it takes me right to where the error is covered in the Tesla manual automatically:

Manual.JPG

-Don- Reno, NV

It's people who watch for someone gassing up and leaving their vehicle unattended in the process, then they scurry over with a 5-gal can and fill it up.
At some gas station the last time I was in AZ, some guy politely asked me if I could fill up his five-gallon portable tank for him, as I started filling up my RV.

I did.

If they find a sucker like me, all they have to do is politely ask.

-Don- Reno, NV

Dino juices....LMAO. Uh no, think of the trillions of gallons of crude oil pumped out of the earth over just the last few decades, much less since 1900. You really think dinosaurs had anything to do with making the oil?

Just in the last few years oil geologists [my BIL is one of them] have found reserves enough to last hundreds of years right here in the US [much less all over the rest of the world]. The Rockefellers made that story up to create the oil shortage and skyrocket prices in the early 70s after investing heavily in the oil business. Sure did work on the masses though. Never made any sense to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom