Tamper Proof Screws and Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassySue

Ok don't know Anything about a camper travel trailer living. So please don't think my questions are stupid. I'm getting on up in my 60s. I want to screw expanded metal not real thick and not real thin to the outside of my camper over windows and frames to hopefully deter thieves. I also want to use some kind of tamper Proof screw for screwing into outside. Any thoughts or opinions on the expanded metal and tamper Proof Screws and what kind to use.
Sassy

Well I would think any screwed covering would sure slow down anyone thinking of just pulling off that cover. Maybe using hex head and phillips and sloted as a mixture would make it more difficult and may make them move on? Having three different tools isn't something most thieves carry.

Are you planning on camping with these window covers on your rig? Taking them on and off sounds like a pain. Also, most RV doors are pretty flimsy, so you would have to add security to that as well.

Most RVs are stolen or broken into while in storage, not while in use, so you might focus on where you plan to store it. Find a place with monitored security cameras and not easily climbed fences, etc.

No I live in it. In a bad neighborhood we own the land ADT said they couldn't install any cameras for a travel trailer. I'm not ever going to remove, possibly may never move travel trailer. I want the expanded metal not that cheap aluminum expanded metal from lowes. Real expanded metal from a metal supply company. I just want to know your opinions and what kind of tamper Proof Screws to use. Most definitely I agree about these doors. Wish travel trailer manufacturers would start building with security features ready to go.

Are you planning on camping with these window covers on your rig? Taking them on and off sounds like a pain. Also, most RV doors are pretty flimsy, so you would have to add security to that as well.

Most RVs are stolen or broken into while in storage, not while in use, so you might focus on where you plan to store it. Find a place with monitored security cameras and not easily climbed fences, etc.
Thank Judy see my reply below. In addition I want expanded metal on outside so I can still open my windows from inside and see out. Just not sure what kind of tamper Proof Screws would not damage outside siding

I think that she must be referring to a metal grid that she can look out of.
Yes! But for security purposes as well. Like you see bars on windows in houses. I don't want bars. I was thinking expanded metal screwed into outside siding with tamper Proof Screws. But I don't want to damage outside siding of travel trailer. ADT came 1 time said they can't install cameras and monitor them on travel trailer. We own the land travel trailer is on.

Another idea about securing the grids is to use long thin bolts inserted from the outside and place a washer and double nuts on the inside.

They can try to remove the bolts but they will not come out without a wrench on the inside.

You could rivet it in. Possibly aluminum pop rivets if going into
window frame. Larger aluminum rivets through wall would require
lever type tool to set. Tool available at Harbor freight.
A stainless steel washer under rivet head would be recommended.

Trailers are flimsy, anyone with a pry bar will be able to get in regardless if you cover the windows or not. A number of years ago we had an attempted break in during the middle of the night at the family business in which was located in a metal building, the would be thieves cut about a 2x2 foot access door in the metal siding apparently with an angle grinder, thankfully they knocked over a shelf doing so and set off the motion detectors. They then went about a mile down the road and did the same thing at a gas station. These days with $50 battery operated angle grinders getting into any metal skin structure is trivial.

No I live in it. In a bad neighborhood we own the land ADT said they couldn't install any cameras for a travel trailer. I'm not ever going to remove, possibly may never move travel trailer. I want the expanded metal not that cheap aluminum expanded metal from lowes. Real expanded metal from a metal supply company. I just want to know your opinions and what kind of tamper Proof Screws to use. Most definitely I agree about these doors. Wish travel trailer manufacturers would start building with security features ready to go.

First as to AT&T... Tell 'em to climb a pole or sometihng You can put in RING cameras or WYZE or about a hundred (or more) other brands of cameras all of which stream to the web so long as they have Wi-Fi.. You can put cameras inside the RV our you can put "Trail cameras" outside that record anything that moves.. You can do this. you don't need AT&T.

Second. For the "Do you plan on opening the window? Crowd. He said "Expanded Metal" So long as the windows do not open outward. You can still open 'em You can still look out 'em. Not sheet but Kind of a very heavy duty screen.
Finally I think I'd go with carriage bolts and cap nuts on the inside. Very hard if not impossible to remove from outside.

Tri-head screws are one of the best deterrents. Just make sure you get the button head ones. Even pliers or side cutters will not grab the head. Another is the spanner head. Both need a special driver to install and remove.

Fastening the expanded metal sheets to the trailer sidewall may not deter thieves very much. The walls have little structure behind the skin, so those screws can be ripped out rather easily. Any thief who is determined and has a pry bar of any sort will still gain entry if there is nobody around to challenge them while they work. However, probably good enough if you are away only for short periods, e.g. shopping or errands.

Therefore I presume you are only expecting to discourage casual theft. There are a dozen or more types of tamper-resistant screw heads. I wouldn't worry about anything too exotic. A security Torx or Hex type should be sufficient but still easy to install or remove if you have the right tool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom