What's you favorite dish to make when camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a filet and lobster MRE now? ;D-  Errrr NO ;D

During Desert Storm everyone was complaining about the MRE's. I do have to say they were pretty bad at the time. General Colin Powell went to the General in charge of MRE procurement, threw one on his desk and said FIX IT !!! I do not know how long you have been out, but the last 5 years or so they have been getting pretty good. I try not to eat them too much as they are high in calories and as I am getting into my late 40's the extra pounds seem to be getting harder and harder to keep off.

SGMA wants to replace the 2 mile run with a 4 mile run in under 36 minutes and add a 12 mile road march with 20lb rucksack and weapon in under 4hrs to the PT test. I know I am an old man in a young mans game but would like to make CW5 before I depart but that is at least 9 more years of service.  That would put me at 37 total years of service. Going to try.

Getting back on subject- Do not really have one yet since I got my MH right before this deployment and we have not had camped in it yet. My wife is an excellent cook so anything she puts in front of me is my favorite, as long as it isn't an MRE  :p

Chief, I retired in 96.  Now 56.  I hear you on tougher to keep the pounds off as you get a little older.  I agree.  Not sure who the SMGA is now but I kind of like the idea of the 4 mile run and 12 mile ruck march.  I retired out of Fort Bragg and latched on to a permanent staff duty position for about the last 6 months. Day on 4 off.  Before that though it was 5 miles every morning, 5 days a week and a 12 mile ruck march with 35 pounds every 6 months.  Back then I just shuffled the whole 12 miles. Always finished in less than 3 hours. Walking it would give me shin splints that's why I started doing the shuffle on it. Wish I was in that good a shape now.

Hurry back, so you guys can get some use out of that RV.  If you're ever near Reno, NV., let me know. Lake Tahoe is practically in our back yard and it's a great destination for anyone camping.  Dinner's on me if you ever make it, and I promise it won't even resemble a MRE.  ;)

Ok, I'm replying to my own post, to hopefully ressurect it.  Some more recipes would be great folks  ;).  I did one last night at home that I'm gonna take on the road to camping and tailgating.  I will share.

Bleu cheese, bacon and swiss burgers.  Mix up some bleu cheese with about 2 lbs of ground beef, whatever you preference is for bleu cheese dictates the amount.  Add a teaspoon or so of worchestershire sauce, a few tablespoons of some fresh chives, course ground pepper to taste, a teaspoon of dry mustard and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours for the flavors to blend.  Patty them up and plop them on the grill.  When they're close to done put some pre-cooked bacon on top and cover with a slice of swiss cheese.  They're delicious!  Don't do these great burgers an injustice of plain buns.  Kick it up a notch and use a nice bun.  Maybe onion or potato.  I also made a very simple chipotle mayo to go on the burgers and dip the fries in.  Ground chipotle chile mixed with mayo.  I didn't measure, I just added the ground chile in the mayo till it had the flavor I liked.  It was also excellent.

Ok folks, keep em coming.  I'm not asking without putting an offering of a recipe out there.  ;D

Mine require fresh prawns, fresh dungeness crab and a healthy appetite, 1" thick Rib Eye and a large potato for each person being fed. Catch and clean the prawns, catch and clean the crab, cook both in seawater on your turkey fryer burner in the big convenient pot that came with the burner. Wrap the potato in tinfoil and put on the BBQ until fully baked. Put steak on the BBQ for about 125 seconds per side. Melt some butter in a dipping dish.

Place a zillion prawns a couple of cram a steak and a potato on your plate. Sit at table and gorge yourself. Dip crabs and prawns in the melted butter before eating. maybe put some melted butter on the baked potato. No spices necessary for this meal.

In the middle of nowhere camped beside the ocean you will be surprised at how good the food is just cooked to perfection without all the sauces and spices. Brings a whole new meaning to delicious.

A single malt neat is a great dessert with the above.

Bill and Carol said:
My husband enjoys making chili from scratch. 

Carol, can you give me your recipe, we are huge Chilli (hot hot hot) fans however I always use a sachet as the base. I add all sorts, Marmite for example to give it a good base etc etc. However I would really like to make it from scratch.

Thanks

Our camper is never without a bottle of TGI Fridays mudslide mix. It does have a little alcahol in it, but a very little shot in a cup of coffee sure tastes great!
For a simple Nacho dip, heat a can of Hormel chili with a package of cream cheese tossed in. For an added extra, add some of your favorite salsa.

I like the can of chili with cheese idea.  I've done salsa with cream cheese many times, but the chili added sounds great.

Wolf Pack Fan - The Burgers sound delicious. Will try them at Virginia Beach next week. Question, is the bleu cheese a salad dressing or is it block cheese? For what it's worth department, I was in the Army 1959 to 1962 in Germany during the "Cold War"/Berlin crisis. Vietnam was going then but I didn't know it. Thanks to all you guys for your service! Iron Horse

Wolf Pack Fan said:
For me it's a simple ribeye, grilled with some montreal steak seasoning.

This stuff is awesome. Try taking some chicken breasts, marinate over several hours in Yoshida's Gourmet sauce (it's the original flavor, I believe, and remember to flip periodically), then lay on the Montreal Steak seasoning (Montreal Chicken is also good, but it's a much lighter flavor) and grill to perfection. Delicious!

Cook a pound of bacon and set the meat aside - save the grease.  Dust several brook trout filets or whole cleaned fish in flour and fry in bacon grease.  When you flip the trout, crack a couple of eggs into frying pan and fry eggs over well while fish is finishing cooking.  Serve with toast.  Save bacon for a casserole.

AndyinLexington said:
Cook a pound of bacon and set the meat aside - save the grease.  Dust several brook trout filets or whole cleaned fish in flour and fry in bacon grease.  When you flip the trout, crack a couple of eggs into frying pan and fry eggs over well while fish is finishing cooking.  Serve with toast.  Save bacon for a casserole.

Andy, this sounds very interesting.  What do the eggs do to or for the fish?

This can't be the most healthy fish fry, but man it sounds good!

Until I left home at about age 21, there was always a can of bacon fat on the back of the stove.  We used it for frying most everything from corn meal to popcorn to what ever meat Mom was cooking.  The exception was when she covered the bottom of the skillet with salt for frying hamburger or steaks.    :)

Hasn't killed any of us guys yet and we now range from 65 to 79 and Mom was 97 when she died.

So much for healthy cooking!!!!

Iron Horse said:
Wolf Pack Fan - The Burgers sound delicious. Will try them at Virginia Beach next week. Question, is the bleu cheese a salad dressing or is it block cheese? For what it's worth department, I was in the Army 1959 to 1962 in Germany during the "Cold War"/Berlin crisis. Vietnam was going then but I didn't know it. Thanks to all you guys for your service! Iron Horse

Crumbled Bleu Cheese, not dressing.  Virginia Beach Huh.  That's my home town and where I grew up till I left home at 20 or 21.  Haven't been back there in many years.  No family there any longer.  It sure did grow a lot since I lived there in the 60's and early to mid 70's.

godefroi said:
This stuff is awesome. Try taking some chicken breasts, marinate over several hours in Yoshida's Gourmet sauce (it's the original flavor, I believe, and remember to flip periodically), then lay on the Montreal Steak seasoning (Montreal Chicken is also good, but it's a much lighter flavor) and grill to perfection. Delicious!

I'm familiar with Yoshida's.  See it in Costco all the time when we go.  That sounds excellent.  I added it to my camp recipe's.

Not a recipe, but a question.  Where do you put your crock pot when you are cooking in it on the road?  I'd love to have a meal ready when we get there, but can't think of a safe place to put it.

edjunior said:
Andy, this sounds very interesting.  What do the eggs do to or for the fish?

This can't be the most healthy fish fry, but man it sounds good!

The eggs are just for breakfast, with the fish.  My cousin in the UP of Michigan used to keep a freezer full of brook trout.  We'd have this about once a week when we both were around.  It's a good breakfast.  If you just lightly dust the fish with flour, most of the grease actually drains off.

Nothing better than a fresh Pompano and egg breakfast, but I don't cook them together.

Here's one I tasted this weekend and it was absolutely delicious.  Would be a good choice when you've got all or most of the day for it to cook.  Might be a little messy doing it going down the road, even setting the crock pot in the sink.  Crock pot root beer pulled pork.  Take a pork roast of your liking, shoulder works well.  Put it in a crock pot and pour in a 2 liter bottle of root beer.  Cook it for 6 hours then drain off the root beer.  Pull the pork apart, which will be pretty easy and add a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom