Which hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caroldee2735

We are buying a new f250 gas. As incentive, dealer is offering to install a 5 th wheel hitch. We are going to buy a 5 er soon but have not decided which one it will be under 8500 dry weight,hopefully. Dealer says will install a B & W hitch. Will that be a good hitch? What should we look for on hitch?

B&W are good hitches, I am very happy with my Husky hitch for my 12,000 lb 5er.

DO NOT repeat DO NOT use ''dry'' weight for anything! Do use the gross vehicle weight for buying a hitch of any kind. When it leaves the factory it weighs between 100-200 more than its ''dry'' weight. Gross weight can usually be found inside one of the interior cabinets. You may not think you'll load it close to the max or gross weight but give yourselves a few years camping and then weigh your rig. By the way IMO you should weigh your RV after you've got it loaded with water and all your ''stuff'' to make sure your whole rig is within specs and balanced properly and particularly not overloading the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

They are good hitches and their smallest one is listed for 16,000#s and the other common one for your application is 18,000#s.  Seems like anything they would install would do the job, but as suggested, for all your figuring, use the GVWR.  A trailer with a dry weight of 8500#s would have a gross of at least 11,000#s.  Still fine for either hitch, but maybe not for all tow vehicles.

I use the B&W turnover ball gooseneck, with the companion hitch that slides in, it is wonderful!  Flat and clear bed when not towning!!  I have also been using the B&W adjustable drop hitch that stows away under rear bumper fro my tounge pull trailers as well. 

I would recommend using the maximum tow rating of the truck.  An 18k probably would meet this requirement.  The cost between a 16k and 18k is not that much and in some it gives you the side to side movement.  Then if you upgrade in the future you do not need a new hitch. The B&W has a very high rating on most of the forums.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom