Allison Transmission Tech Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3060 shifts into 6th at 55,, then will hold it down to 50 with a soft pedal.. I would suggest manually shifting to 6th with the up arrow button.>>>Dan

travelbum said:
. My RV has about 73,000 miles on it now.  When the transmission is cold and particularly when I am parked sloping forward, I experience a temporary problem with engaging the transmission. The transmission initially engages, but with the slightest load, it shifts in and out of gear and clunks.

I would try changing fluid and filter and see if this cures the problem. It is possible the torque convertor masy be draining back but I would suspect the filter.

the gearing is to high as I will be at around 1400 rpm at 60mph in 6th  I  think it was around 21 or2200 rpm and 70mph before shifting into 6th

I was hoping for some way to make the truck think it was going 70 and shift for me will be reinsured in march and this time I will write down the numbers

with 265-75R-22.5  tires and 3.55 gears  yes it is geared too high
regearing is out of the question but would like to make it think I am going faster and shift up when I am on the flat

I have a 1999 International DT466 Engine with an Allison tranny. This particular trucks transmission has been acting up severely. The transmission will not stay in 5th gear, and drops down to 3rd gear after 4-6 hours of driving time. About 3 months ago, the transmission would not go in gear at all. The truck was losing reverse, and on the shifter it would read "N" no matter what gear you tried and placed it in. We took the truck to an allison technician, they fixed a bad ground to the starter post, & fixed a couple bad ground wires. It was noted that the starter was in poor condition so we recently replaced the starter. Now however, as I stated, when the truck gets hot, it loses 5th gear and jumps to 3rd or no gear at all. We have to turn off the truck, and if we are lucky it works normally. However sometimes we are turning the truck on and off 5-10 times over the course of the day. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

I am looking at a 2002 Chevy dually 4x4 with a Allison transmission. have not see or drove yet but i was told that the transmission wont shift and a neighbor hooked up a code reader and it burned up the code reader. is there anything else that can be done with out taking to Chevy.

First off thanks AllisonMan!

I have an unusual situation and after scouring the net I found this thread.

I am building a truck using a 1995 Cummins inline 6 cylinder  5.9L 12V with the P-Pump.  I am going to build the engine to around 500Hp, and the truck will at one time or another have a trailer hooked up with about 15,000lbs and the truck could weigh 24,000 lbs.  Although I am not going to drive with all of that weight all of the time I am going to have 500+Hp all of the time which I think leads me to a 4000 series trans.

My questions is if this has been done, I know the md3060 works but what about the 4000 series.  Also I want the simplest mechanical based system as possible but I know most of these are computer controlled, is there an older model that was tough enough to handle my weight and power and had a simple system controlling it?

What else do I need to worry about, tachometer, speedometer, ???  I am building the internals of the 1939 gauges to have modern functionality but look original and was planning to use the gauges from my 1995 dodge ram 2500 (matched to the motor I am using) but how do I get it to read the proper speed.

Thank you in advance!

Ryan

OK I did even more looking around, the MT653 was used behind the 5.9L Cummins, it is more mechanical and may be easier to use.  Can I use the HT750 instead of the MT653?

Yeah I noticed that after I posted, I even checked his sign in and he has not come here for months.  He gave a lot of time to this group and gave a lot of information.  Well does anyone else know much about these transmissions??

Hi Allisonman,
I have a 2001 Dutch Star DP with a 330 Cat and an Allison 3000 series 6 speed transmission (md3060 i think)on a Frieghtliner chassis. Every thing seems to ok except some of the time while I am running after sufficient time to warm up the transmission gauge one the dash shows no temperature reading from the transmission. Then at some point running it will come up a bit and then show a normal range and then have no reading again after a period of time. This is really of no rhyme or reason. Is there something I can check to see if maybe it is loose or poor connection etc? I am quite puzzled by this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I  have looked thru many posts and have not seen any problem like this one.
Thanks again,
George

:-\

utahclaimjumper said:
He has returned to the IRV2 board after a brief absence.>>>Dan

That is a different person, he is Tom Johnson AKA "Mr. TranSynd". He is a former Allison transmission fluid engineer.
The Allisonman on this site is a technician who is still working in the field. Keeping up with all of the questions on this site about Allison trannies may have been a bit much for him. There are Allison forums that may be able to help with concerns about these transmissions.
J

Allison Man,

I have 2000 fleetwood with md3066.  It's leaking around the seal. I plan on trying to replace it myself.  Is there any thing to watchout for besides not damageing the surfaces the seal touches.  Is there just one bolt to remove the yoke?  does the drive shaft comeoff with those 2 bolts and plate, then a rod comes out?  thanks for any help.  The allison shop in Augusta, ga is very busy with big trucks and seems like they can't get to it until a few weeks,  They wanted 4 hrs labor

I don't want to do any major damage to the tranny.  so let me know if you thinks it too deep.
Bill

Hi !  I'm Mark.  I'm new to heavy duty world. I was looking for some swap info and found this post. I know a 643 is not too big but I want to match it to a 8V71 . I'm looking for a flex plate/ring gear with crank bolts . I'm restoring a 1972 Dodge cabover and thought an automatic would be a cool add on.

I am an automotive mechanic with lots of skills about carburators and automotive electronics. If you need help in that feild,don't hesitate.

Thanks,Mark.

allisonman said:
      I just want to say hello and a little about myself.  I am an Allison transmission technician with 10 years of experience with working on them.  I've rebuilt just about every model of their transmission you could think of from the AT545 all the way up to the CLBT9800 in oil field service. if you have a question on them feel free to ask.  I'm not representing any company or soliciting work, just giving free advice on Allisons.  I work on a lot of motorhomes at work and while I have a lot of knowledge with the Allison, I have little knowledge of the rest of the coach, that is why I came here,  because you guys/gals can give me info on all this other stuff.    while I don't have an RV at this time, my wife and I are planning to get one in the next few years but it will be an older one.  it may be a trailer I can pull behind my dodge durango (has to be small for that) or an older motorhome.  not sure yet.  it needs to be big enough for our 3 kids who are 6, 2, and 8 months now and us but not too huge that I can't drive into some of the smaller less developed campsights next to lake superior.  we're probably not going on too long of trips because the kids DO NOT like to sit long in the car  ;D  you get the old "are we there yet"  routine. a motorhome may be better for them I think.

a few things on asking me questions, if you have say a workhorse chassis and it has a 1000series allison and you want to know whats wrong here is what I need.  I need to know if it has a CHECK TRANS light and if you have a code.  if you tell me your 1000 series trans is defaulting into "limp home mode" without a code I won't be able to help much because just about ANY problem makes the 1000series go into "limp home mode".    if you have never experienced "limp home mode" then here is what it is.  when the trans sets a code, most of the time it will default the trans into 3rd or reverse ranges so you can SLOWLY and CAREFULLY drive the coach to a safe location A SHORT DISTANCE.  you will definitely know when this happens because the trans will HAVE NO AUTOMATIC SHIFTS and the coach will take off very slowly from a stop.  remember your taking off in 3rd gear when this happens stay out of the throttle on take-offs when you can because it builds a lot of trans fluid heat in the torque converter.  its like taking a stickshift trans, putting it into 3rd gear and slipping the clutch to get going.    you guys with a 3000/4000 series won't have to worry about this because if your trans has a problem it will default you into the current gear or go into neutral.  if yours defaults to the current gear and locks you there, you will have to cycle the ignition to shift to neutral.  if you have to do this you are most likely going to be stuck in neutral when you start the engine back up.  so if it sticks in gear on you find a spot that you can stop and retrieve codes from the shifter.  you can clear the codes with the shifter but write them down first (the shifter stores up to 5 codes) so that the mechanic working on it has a quicker/easier time troubleshooting it which equals less downtime and money saved.  we all know how expensive that is now days.  my shop charges $98.00 an hour in the building(and this is probably cheap for some of you) and $120.00 an hour plus mileage for road service.  :eek: :eek: 

so go ahead and ask away with Allison questions, and I'll try and answer them for you.  I'll need your help when I get an older motorhome and have questions with repairing the rest of it  :D 
          Luke

[edit]Changed message title[/edit]

Hello..  Not sure this fits your signature but I have a question that may be an Allison transmission issue or a Pacbrake issue.  We have a 2006 Camelot PDQ, weight is roughly 36,000 pounds and the Cummins ISL 400 is equipped with a Pacbrake. After experience a complete failure of the brake rotors due to heat stress.... some research found that Pacbrake had developed a 'better' Pacbrake and I decided to have the PRXB installed.  After installation it was discovered the Pacbrake was not getting a 'signal' (electricity) and the mechanic is now tracing the wiring to determine where the problem may be.
  Question: Can you describe what components will be along this wiring?  Is it possible the CPU (TCM) could have forgotten some settings and needs to be reprogrammed to activate the Pacbrake. 
  The Pacbrake switch does appear to work as the Allison transmission does downshift.  Any information will be appreciated.
    Bruce

I have a 36ft diesel pusher with a allison 3000 transmission, when i hit a pot hole it will downshift for a moment then upshift.
The code is d1 3500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom