Berkley RV homeless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I hear there are monthly housing grants available for struggling veterans. 

sightseers said:
From what I hear there are monthly housing grants available for struggling veterans.

There are programs to assist veterans with housing. RV are not considered housing by the VA, therefore no housing allowances for an RV are granted. If that were the case...

John Beard said:
There are programs to assist veterans with housing. RV are not considered housing by the VA, therefore no housing allowances for an RV are granted. If that were the case...

Yes..if that were the case...then 'Me Too'

Don't count on much.

Typically, with the VA it all goes in order.  the guys with no legs get taken care of first,  then the guys with scrambled brains,  even the average 20 yr. Air Force retiree gets his rewards way before a draft era vet with a couple years like me will ever get any help. 

disability benefits are 1st determined by MOS

I am a retired RN.  When I was in training, each state had State Mental Hospitals that provided treatment and shelter for those that needed it, regardless of their ability to pay.  As student nurses, we were required to do rotations in these State Hospitals during our Psych rotations.  It was an eye opening experience for me as a young woman, having grown up in a stable family, etc.  It was NOT a scary place; each patient had a roof over their head, food to eat, medication they needed to stabilize their condition.

During that decade, one by one, these State Hospitals started downsizing or closing their doors.  The root cause of this was NOT money...it was because there was a "successful" movement to stop the practice of keeping these patients safe and cared for in order to respect their "rights".  As this happened, THAT was when homelessness really started becoming the problem it is today.  The lesson here is that unintended consequences ALWAYS result from our attempts to intervene.  "Today's solutions are Tomorrow's Problems"--an old saying that is ALWAYS true.

Maybe we need to take another look at the State Hospital system.  Surely there must be some middle ground that would respect individual freedoms and rights but still offer a haven to those who, by no fault of their own, must deal with mental illness and all the fallout from their illness. 

"Maybe we need to take another look at the State Hospital system. "

The Great state of California is spending $96 Billion Dollars for a new train,  but the homeless issue goes on being ignored by our legislators.

:mad:

SuzanneH said:
I am a retired RN.  When I was in training, each state had State Mental Hospitals that provided treatment and shelter for those that needed it, regardless of their ability to pay.  As student nurses, we were required to do rotations in these State Hospitals during our Psych rotations.  It was an eye opening experience for me as a young woman, having grown up in a stable family, etc.  It was NOT a scary place; each patient had a roof over their head, food to eat, medication they needed to stabilize their condition.

During that decade, one by one, these State Hospitals started downsizing or closing their doors.  The root cause of this was NOT money...it was because there was a "successful" movement to stop the practice of keeping these patients safe and cared for in order to respect their "rights".  As this happened, THAT was when homelessness really started becoming the problem it is today.  The lesson here is that unintended consequences ALWAYS result from our attempts to intervene.  "Today's solutions are Tomorrow's Problems"--an old saying that is ALWAYS true.

Maybe we need to take another look at the State Hospital system.  Surely there must be some middle ground that would respect individual freedoms and rights but still offer a haven to those who, by no fault of their own, must deal with mental illness and all the fallout from their illness.

The reason most state hospitals were closed is they ABUSED the patients. Treatment without consent, sometimes experimental sometimes "well let see what happens if". Sexual abuse was rampant as was mental abuse. I would not want anyone I cared for in one of those hospitals.
Why does everyone have to live in our reality.

John Beard said:

Can you tell me which programs to provide housing assistance to veterans are run by the VA?  I know that those who are 100% service connected disabled receive housing assistance as do those using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (while attending school).

Other than the above two, I've never heard of any Veteran's Administrative program that provides any housing assistance to veterans.  If I am eligible to receive, I'm happy to receive.

darsben said:
The reason most state hospitals were closed is they ABUSED the patients. Treatment without consent, sometimes experimental sometimes "well let see what happens if". Sexual abuse was rampant as was mental abuse. I would not want anyone I cared for in one of those hospitals.

Seems you are painting the situation with a very broad brush there.  Yes, there were some abuses without a doubt but the almost total disappearance of mental institutions is not totally related to that.  I don't have the answer but I only know that there are a lot of mentally ill people wandering the streets of this country with no place to go.  About a year ago I found one parked near my house for hours on end and observing absolutely nothing in particular but just sitting in a subdivision miles from his own apartment.  I called 911 about a suspicious person and it eventually wound up with the bomb squad being deployed to retrieve a package he placed on a neighbors vehicle.  Contents:  Two sandwiches which he denied placing there but which I saw him do.  I am also familiar with a large home for retarded in another state which was closed after all of the residents were placed in group homes in the community - that may have been a win-win situation but all it did was disperse the problem.  One policeman tells me that now their only option on placing a mental case is to input for a 72 hour observation at a mental ward of the local hospital.  Oh yeah, they guy outside our house with the sandwiches - he was that 72 hour observation six times in the past year.  I have no solutions but feel there needs to be a return to large scale treatment for the severely mentally ill.

Bill

Bill N said:
Seems you are painting the situation with a very broad brush there.  Yes, there were some abuses without a doubt but the almost total disappearance of mental institutions is not totally related to that.  I don't have the answer but I only know that there are a lot of mentally ill people wandering the streets of this country with no place to go.  About a year ago I found one parked near my house for hours on end and observing absolutely nothing in particular but just sitting in a subdivision miles from his own apartment.  I called 911 about a suspicious person and it eventually wound up with the bomb squad being deployed to retrieve a package he placed on a neighbors vehicle.  Contents:  Two sandwiches which he denied placing there but which I saw him do.  I am also familiar with a large home for retarded in another state which was closed after all of the residents were placed in group homes in the community - that may have been a win-win situation but all it did was disperse the problem.  One policeman tells me that now their only option on placing a mental case is to input for a 72 hour observation at a mental ward of the local hospital.  Oh yeah, they guy outside our house with the sandwiches - he was that 72 hour observation six times in the past year.  I have no solutions but feel there needs to be a return to large scale treatment for the severely mentally ill.

Bill

That would help make it safer for many citizens, mentally ill and otherwise.

darsben said:
Do you have a source for this?

darsben said:
I would not want anyone I cared for in one of those hospitals.

But we don't know them.  Why should we care for them?  We just don't like seeing them.  We want Uncle to fix this problem.  You know, out of sight, out of mind.  Then we can relax and focus on the stuff that matters.  Like taking another trip in our RV.  Because we did all the right things, worked hard, saved our money, and did it without anyones help.  That's what I did.  Of course I am also white, had two parents as a child, an education, good health, a reasonably high IQ and what some people  considered "good presence".  Not sure that helped.

Because it's difficult to walk a mile in another mans shoes. 

Dragginourbedaround said:
Do you have a source for this?

ME

A) I was alive at the time in the 50's and 60's and read the stories
B) My mother and step-father worked at the Illinois Psychiatric hospital in Chicago and had housing on the grounds.  I remember them talking about things going on in the facility.
C) I am a retired licensed health care professional  (The least important reason)

Also the developmentally disabled where put in with the Psych patients. Think about a Down's child in with a manic-depressive housed there for years.

We still see the effects of institutionalization today but now it is nursing home dumping grounds.
Try this youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-bg1dZb80

garyb1st said:
Are you suggesting this is not true?
I?m not suggesting anything. If I?m interested in a subject then I would like to read up on it and not rely on anecdotal information. I believe the main reason these patients were released to the streets was money. That?s just my opinion. I don?t have anything to back that up so I won?t push my opinion because that?s all it is, my opinion.

darsben said:
ME

A) I was alive at the time in the 50's and 60's and read the stories
B) My mother and step-father worked at the Illinois Psychiatric hospital in Chicago and had housing on the grounds.  I remember them talking about things going on in the facility.
C) I am a retired licensed health care professional  (The least important reason)

Also the developmentally disabled where put in with the Psych patients. Think about a Down's child in with a manic-depressive housed there for years.

We still see the effects of institutionalization today but now it is nursing home dumping grounds.
Try this youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-bg1dZb80
i was hopping you had a better source than a top 10 YouTube video. I followed your link and there were a lot of top 10 videos, like top 10 reasons to believe in time travel.

i was hopping you had a better source than a top 10 YouTube video. I followed your link and there were a lot of top 10 videos, like top 10 reasons to believe in time travel.
Try doing some research then. I have no proof as I did not know you would be asking the question when I was reading the stories. I would have saved them if I had known.
on second thought here are some links.
http://digital.vpr.net/post/report-details-alleged-abuse-state-mental-hospital#stream/0
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/09/17/abuse-claims-arrests-mount-connecticut-state-mental-hospital/kx3WmatMOflCke0Qc4Cg3H/story.html
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/raped-sixty-times-hospital-mental-3016375
https://psychcentral.com/news/2008/05/05/texas-mental-hospitals-a-haven-for-abuse/2224.html
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2365-i-was-psych-nurse-who-abused-patients-with-chokeholds.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry        by  the way this contains one of my favorite quotes for putting a person in a mental hospital. It states;
When Clennon W. King, Jr., an African-American pastor and activist of the Civil Rights Movement, attempted to enroll at the all-white University of Mississippi for summer graduate courses in 1958, the Mississippi police arrested him on the grounds that "any n***** who tried to enter Ole Miss must be crazy."[43] Keeping King's whereabouts secret for 48 hours, the Mississippi authorities kept him confined to a mental hospital for twelve days before a panel of doctors established the activist's sanity.[44]

https://prezi.com/6odzyqrrefrl/mental-hospital-abuse-of-the-1930s/
http://www.cchrflorida.org/abuse-and-attacks-in-floridas-mental-hospitals/
https://www.naturalnews.com/News_000672_psychiatric_hospitals_Georgia_patient_abuse.html

Want more let me know.

I?m not suggesting anything. If I?m interested in a subject then I would like to read up on it and not rely on anecdotal information.

That's generally the approach I take.  But I also consider the source.  And if it's a known and trusted source, I generally accept it. 

I believe the main reason these patients were released to the streets was money. That?s just my opinion. I don?t have anything to back that up so I won?t push my opinion because that?s all it is, my opinion.

Thanks for stating it's your opinion. 

But I also consider the source.  And if it's a known and trusted source, I generally accept it. 
In used to rely on a known source and still do depending on the person. But today I've found many people are just repeating what they've heard or read because it fits their agenda without checking to see if the information is correct.

Thanks for stating it's your opinion. 
:)

many people are just repeating what they've heard or read because it fits their agenda without checking to see if the information is correct.

"I saw it on the Internet, it must be true"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjoutdoors
Back
Top Bottom