DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's hope this Killer Bee (that I will check out tomorrow) here in Mission, TX will not fly up to Odessa and . . .

55483231_10216681782092315_2652620541298475008_n.jpg

sting this wabbit:

rabbit1-jpg.168712

-Don- Mission, TX
That is what the locals call a Jackalope.

For those who never seen one, a real true Jackalope looks like this:

Jackalope.jpg
The first one I ever saw when I was a kid in the 60's looked like this, hence the name Jack-elope - the 'elope' part because of the horns being those of an antelope.

1700426886197.jpeg

I am now stopped for the night in Comstock, TX.

All the roads are still mostly freshly paved, even here in the very west part of Texas. Seems like all of western Texas now has mostly fresh new pavement. So opposite from the last time I was in this part of Texas.

But there is an exception. When in some, if not most of the towns, regardless of size, the roads are still old with potholes and all. The bad roads are all where the speed limit is very low, such as 25 MPH in these towns. Almost everywhere else the speed limit is 75 MPH, the roads are mostly freshly paved and exceptionally smooth at any speed.

I wonder why they repave everything except for the roads in the towns.

BTW, no need to take the major freeways in Texas. Best to avoid them as well as the major cities. Most roads of any type just outside any small town in this part of Texas has a 75 MPH speed limit.

-Don- Comstock, TX

But there is an exception. When in some, if not most of the towns, regardless of size, the roads are still old with potholes and all. The bad roads are all where the speed limit is very low, such as 25 MPH in these towns. Almost everywhere else the speed limit is 75 MPH, the roads are mostly freshly paved and exceptionally smooth at any speed.

I wonder why they repave everything except for the roads in the towns.

-Don- Comstock, TX
Because the small towns are responsible for at least part of the cost of repaving, and many small towns - like the one close to me - don't have any money. This town pays the Police Chief $43,000/yr. I was making a heck of a lot more than that when I retired from F&W 10 years ago - and I wasn't "Chief" of anything. Except in the Navy, then I was the Chief. ;)

Where are you stopping for the night?

Are you heading STRAIGHT home or just hanging out in different areas while on the way home?

Where are you stopping for the night?

Are you heading STRAIGHT home or just hanging out in different areas while on the way home?
I am slowly on my way home. Last night I stayed at the Welcome Center in NM, near the Texas-NM border. I am now staying for a few nights here at the Sonoran Desert RV Park. My last three stops for the night were at rest stops.

I will probably have my next stop for a few nights in Barstow, CA at the Shady Rest RV Park. I normally will not stay for less than three nights at an RV Park. Not worth the hassle, otherwise, IMO. I have to do a bit more than most, such as put up and take down the ham antenna, deal with the motorcycle, etc. I wont do these things for a one night stop anywhere.

So I am getting closer and closer to home. Auburn, CA home first.

In about two months, I will do another RV trip but in my Y2K RV.

-Don- Gila Bend, AZ 85337

I am slowly on my way home. Last night I stayed at the Welcome Center in NM, near the Texas-NM border. I am now staying for a few nights here at the Sonoran Desert RV Park. My last three stops for the night were at rest stops.

I will probably have my next stop for a few nights in Barstow, CA at the Shady Rest RV Park. I normally will not stay for less than three nights at an RV Park. Not worth the hassle, otherwise, IMO. I have to do a bit more than most, such as put up and take down the ham antenna, deal with the motorcycle, etc. I wont do these things for a one night stop anywhere.

So I am getting closer and closer to home. Auburn, CA home first.

In about two months, I will do another RV trip but in my Y2K RV.

-Don- Gila Bend, AZ 85337
We were in Buckeye back at the end of July and took a trip down the Sonoran Desert RV Park and talked to the owner. We were asking about a park to homestead in but the way he explained his payment process seemed way too convoluted so we decided to pass on that place. He also said he was probably going close it down completely between June and Sep starting this year. It was 114 F every day for the 4 days we were in Buckeye.

We were in Buckeye back at the end of July and took a trip down the Sonoran Desert RV Park and talked to the owner. We were asking about a park to homestead in but the way he explained his payment process seemed way too convoluted so we decided to pass on that place. He also said he was probably going close it down completely between June and Sep starting this year. It was 114 F every day for the 4 days we were in Buckeye.
I know. Look who replied to your message here.

-Don- Gila Bend, AZ

I know. Look who replied to your message here.

-Don- Gila Bend, AZ
Yes, but that was 4 months before we actually went and looked at the place. While we were there, we ran south of town and looked at the "RV Park" at the Air Force auxiliary air strip. Uh, no. It's basically only a boondocking place because, although they have electricity and sewage, you can't drink the water. You can't even filter it because it's so bad. So you would have to run into town every week and find a place to refill your fresh water tank. Therefore Gila Bend was out as a homestead.

We found the below place instead. A tad remote, but only 25 minutes to Quartzsite, and an hour to Buckeye or Parker. And less than 2 hours to the Yuma Int Airport, which is a heck of a lot easier to get in and out of than Phoenix.

I know from your posts that holidays don't impress you,

And I agree. January 2nd is my favorite day of the year!

I want to wish you a Busy New Year, with lots of trips.

And if you go to Quartzite, take pics and tell us all about it.

Waving at you.

And if you go to Quartzite, take pics and tell us all about it.
Why not take a trip there and see it all for yourself? Have you ever been in AZ? AZ is one of my favorite states to RV in.

And when you're there, don't forget to have a Sonoran Hot Dog!

-Don- Auburn, CA

I leave here on Monday. And then I head to OPCNM, AZ for a week boondocked. Less than 5 hours drive from here.

Check In: Jan 31, 2022
Check Out: Feb 7, 2022 018, RV Generator( RV NONELECTRIC )
TWIN PEAKS CAMPGROUND
NPS Subtotal: $140.00 Quantity: 7 Nights

But 50% off with my senior pass:

Subtotal:$140.00
Adjustment:$0.00
Discount:$-70.00
Tax:$0.00
Total:$70.00

-Don- Lordsburg, NM
Senior discounts come in handy. We have a rustic campground on a lake about 20 miles from home. Senior rate is $8.50 a night...

@DonTom

Whatcha doing today?

Here, it is raining, windy, 46°

and poor misguided souls, in the neighborhood, don't know how to secure their trash.

Such a pity.

@DonTom

Whatcha doing today?

Here, it is raining, windy, 46°

and poor misguided souls, in the neighborhood, don't know how to secure their trash.

Such a pity.
Weather here is warming up fast, even a few degrees warmer here in Reno than Auburn. No rain here today, sun is out for now. Raining in Auburn.

Snow here starting to melt. But look what's coming here to Reno.

Anyway, I am kinda stuck at home. I will play around with my ham radio stuff as soon as I turn off this computer and find other things to do around the house. And as you can see, snow coming here tomorrow so I will be stuck inside again.

But I can always find something to keep be busy even when I am stuck at home.

But I will be glad then spring is here so I can do some hiking, motorcycle riding and all the outside stuff I like to do.

I could be leaving on an RV trip again in a few weeks. In my older RV. Not sure where I will go, but it will be south and low elevation. Most likely southern CA and AZ. One place I want to check out is Gunslight Wash, AZ. A boondocking place I have not yet been too, located just north of OPCNM, AZ.

1704829822545.png

-Don- Reno, NV

@DonTom ,

Have you seen @Skookum ?

I might have missed him here?

He was down in southern California. Then they had rain and I was hoping he would report on the situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom