Francis Scott Key bridge, Baltimore, MD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree as to who should be rebuilding the bridge. It shouldn’t be the taxpayers in this case
I'm sure there will be negotiations and lawsuits for years over private compensation for the bridge damage and the deaths of the workers. Meanwhile, the bridge needs to get rebuilt and the country can't sit around and wait for the insurance check to arrive. Or to see if the shipper or the insurers go bankrupt. The bridge is part of both state and national highway systems, so a joint responsibility of state & federal government to get that done and paid for. Recovery of the costs from insurer and shipper is a separate problem.

I'm sure there will be negotiations and lawsuits for years over private compensation for the bridge damage and the deaths of the workers. Meanwhile, the bridge needs to get rebuilt and the country can't sit around and wait for the insurance check to arrive. Or to see if the shipper or the insurers go bankrupt. The bridge is part of both state and national highway systems, so a joint responsibility of state & federal government to get that done and paid for. Recovery of the costs from insurer and shipper is a separate problem.

An article in today's paper estimated at least 1 billion dollars in removal and reconstruction and suit settlements. Plus years to settle with all the insurance companies involved.
It looks like it will take the local, state and federal government to initially fund the replacement. Engineering and constuction will probably take years.

What will that help?
So you and millions of others can lambaste the family(s) for a few years on social media?

...Or anyone with the same name or who looks similar. Remember the flash of violence and prejudice against Chinese "looking" people, who were actually US Citizens in the US, during Covid? Yeah.

Let the FBI do their work. I'm not surprised they opened a criminal investigation in the least. Not that I suspect crime - I know nothing about the situation - but I trust them to assess and investigate if there was. They typically do this with any large-scale incident.

FBI opened a criminal investigation.
Meanwhile we still don't even have the name/names of the pilot/pilots on board.
As opposed to what, non criminal investigations the FBI ordinarily launches? Investigation means they're looking into it, nothing more. Why does anyone need the names of the Pilots? So they can be hounded and receive death threats on social media. The pilot boards the ship at the dock to guide it to the sea buoy, nothing more. They ( the second pilot was likely an apprentice, some States can require years of apprenticeship before issuing a pilots license) did their jobs.

‘We’re a dead ship’: Hundreds of cargo ships lost propulsion in U.S. waters in recent years​

"The April 5 incident is one of hundreds in which massive cargo ships lost propulsion, many near bridges and ports, according to a Washington Post analysis of Coast Guard records."

"The findings indicate that the kind of failure that preceded the March 26 Baltimore bridge collapse — the 984-foot Dali is believed to have lost the ability to propel itself forward as it suffered a more widespread power outage — was far from a one-off among the increasingly large cargo ships that routinely sail close to critical infrastructure."

"Around Baltimore alone, ships lost propulsion nearly two dozen times in the three years before the tragedy last month, the Post review found"

(May be pay walled)

...Or anyone with the same name or who looks similar. Remember the flash of violence and prejudice against Chinese "looking" people, who were actually US Citizens in the US, during Covid? Yeah.

Let the FBI do their work. I'm not surprised they opened a criminal investigation in the least. Not that I suspect crime - I know nothing about the situation - but I trust them to assess and investigate if there was. They typically do this with any large-scale incident.
I agree; even today a person with the last name Booth fights that stygma.

Back
Top Bottom