GM and Chevrolet trucks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donn

The last couple of days I have had a need to put a bunch of miles on.  During drive time I have seem a lot of new body style GM and Chev trucks.  Personally I am really not a fan of the new body style.  Front kind of looks like a ceoss between a Tundra amd a Ford.  Back is just plane ugly!  What say the rest?

Donn, They won?t post on this website, but millions of people disagree with you.

And if it makes you feel better, millions of people agree with you.

If it makes any difference I disagree with you, I think they look cool.

8)

Joezeppy said:
I like the half tons. The GMC HD's are nice, too, but the Chevy HD's - I like most of the truck but that grill is UUUUG-LY!

I agree, the new GMC HD?s are one of the best looking trucks ever but the new Chevys aren?t great.  My favorite is still the 17-19 Chevy?s but I may be biased.

I agree, mostly.  The trucks with the "man step" are really pretty ugly.  That tailgate just ain't right.  And I thought they were going to round out the wheel wells finally, but nope.  Still go those ugly square wheel wells.  The right color of the truck helps some, but overall...yeah, not impressed.  Just my opinion.

ive been a GM fan for years bought 17 of them everything from Sunfires to Corvettes and lots of trucks and SUVs at one time we had 4 GMs in the garage including a 1/2 ton and 1 ton

3 years ago a bought a Ford Dually then an Escape then a Edge and 2 weeks ago we bought another Edge my wife racked up over 100,000 miles in 1 1/2 years on her 2017 Edge that we bought new Dec 11 2018 (got a smokin deal cause it was left over from a fleet sale that never happened lol) So we bought her a 2020 Edge 2 months ago
when we were shopping i went back to my GM dealer drove a bunch of stuff but non of it compared to the Ford for styling and comfort - GM seems to have lost its way of late with the exception of the New Vette which is a home run and then some 

steveblonde said:
ive been a GM fan for years bought 17 of them everything from Sunfires to Corvettes and lots of trucks and SUVs at one time we had 4 GMs in the garage including a 1/2 ton and 1 ton

3 years ago a bought a Ford Dually then an Escape then a Edge and 2 weeks ago we bought another Edge my wife racked up over 100,000 miles in 1 1/2 years on her 2017 Edge that we bought new Dec 11 2018 (got a smokin deal cause it was left over from a fleet sale that never happened lol) So we bought her a 2020 Edge 2 months ago
when we were shopping i went back to my GM dealer drove a bunch of stuff but non of it compared to the Ford for styling and comfort - GM seems to have lost its way of late with the exception of the New Vette which is a home run and then some

We have also been a GM fan all our lives and a couple years ago decided an Exlpoler would be best for our family and what we needed based on what GM had available in the mid sized suv line.  It was a 2018 Platinum (top model) and it felt cheaply made and we were unimpressed from the beginning.  Plastic trim pieces breaking, floorboard carpeting coming up and not finished properly from the factory, rear seat slip downs now flipping down correctly, airbag issues bubbling flaking paint right on the hood.  Some stuff ford fixed other stuff they said tough luck but it was just too much and we went back to a Tahoe and so far so good again.  I?m sure others can say similar things about gm but we have had good luck ?‍♂️

I was a lifelong GM fan but when buying a new truck in 2010 the dealer asked me to check out a new Dodge. Compared to a Chevy or GM the price was 40% less for a Dodge with the same options. Better gas mileage, better A/C, more comfortable seats, quieter, better ride, and drove great.

When I was younger Dodge always suffered from terrible quality control. IMO Dodge got their act together back when Mercedes owned them. A lot of their engineering and suspension has been influenced by Mercedes also.

I haven't had a GM product for many years. Nothing against them, I have preferred Dodge in spite of the quirks in the carbureted trucks. My 05 Ram is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned, 250,000 miles on it (American model) and is probably good for many more. IMHO GM and Ford can't compete with the Cummins. Let the flaming begin  ;D

Yeah I'm not a fan of the new grills. More plastic looking = yuck (to me). However if you look at 2020 Rams and 2020 F150s the grill designs all look fairly similar. Every maker has to change their style every few years, right when we're getting used to the last one. I like big fat shiny chrome stuff, but that trend has been dwindling for awhile I suppose.

I've owned mostly GMs during my driving lifetime, which kinda started by accident I suppose. I always like big "boat" cruisers even as a teenager (much preferred over sports cars) and my first three cars (in order) were an '84 Buick Park Avenue, '73 Buick Electra, and '69 Pontiac Executive. I still have the Pontiac, owned for 23 years now, and still like big cruisers. All our family grocery getters have been GM cars or SUVs (with one exception, a Chrysler Pacifica when it was still an SUV) and that continued into truck towing purchased. Suburban 2500 and now Silverado 3500. In both cases though, I would have considered any of the Big 3 but GM seemed to have what fit my needs best. Each to his/her own!

Roy M said:
I haven't had a GM product for many years. Nothing against them, I have preferred Dodge in spite of the quirks in the carbureted trucks. My 05 Ram is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned, 250,000 miles on it (American model) and is probably good for many more. IMHO GM and Ford can't compete with the Cummins. Let the flaming begin  ;D

Thats a discussion for another thread.  Having said that I spent yesterday helping a gal and her mom get used to towing backing, and turning their brand new GD 42 foot fiver.  They bought a brand new Ram dually Asian to tow it with.  Got to spend maybe 5 minutes in the drivers seat.  First thing I noticed the Aisin first gear to me was not user friendly.  Whwn trying to manuver the truck liked to lurch and shift really too soon.  Nice truck though.  But like the GM offerings Im not a real fan of the design.  Just too much chrome for starters.  But Im a huge fan of debadging my vehicles.

A discussion about truck brands is almost political but the people disagreeing are much more polite about it.  ;D

All of the new pick up trucks are beauties compared to some of the older ones. You want to see ugly, here it is. I have no idea what year or model it is. LOL

Attachments

• Ugly Pick Up Truck.jpg
    Ugly Pick Up Truck.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 49
Said in 2002, I haven't seen much improvement:

General Motors Vice Chairman Robert Lutz uses his gift for rhetoric freely to criticize current automotive design trends.

Most famously, he scorned towering, angular, plastic-clad vehicles as looking "like a whole family of angry kitchen appliances: demented toasters, furious bread machines and vengeful trash compactors."

;D Lutz was a real character, he liked to push the limits. Tom55555 that is a 61 or 62 Chev, you think that is ugly have a look at a Dodge from that era.

Roy M said:
;D Lutz was a real character, he liked to push the limits. Tom55555 that is a 61 or 62 Chev, you think that is ugly have a look at a Dodge from that era.

I found a picture of the 62 Dodge. The lights sure have changed. Brings back memories...Feeling old now, LOL

Attachments

• 1962 Dodge.jpg
    1962 Dodge.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 39
Tom55555 said:
All of the new pick up trucks are beauties compared to some of the older ones. You want to see ugly, here it is. I have no idea what year or model it is. LOL

Beauty, eye, beholder...

Nothing more beautiful than square body trucks. And the bonus in your photo is the MGB! Don't care what brand, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, IHI. Square bodies are beautiful.

Today's vehicles look like they come from an alien planet. An don't get me started on how badly they messed up the Jeep grills...

The new Jeep truck and the Bronco at least harken back to the classics...

Tom55555 said:
I found a picture of the 62 Dodge. The lights sure have changed. Brings back memories...Feeling old now, LOL
Early 60s Dodges were butt ugly, but they would run for ever.  Had a 63.  In 4X4 low range granny gear I could walk faster, but it would crawl up the side of a building.

We used to call that the "house moving gear" and it had the same effect on a 2WD old Ford pickup I had (circa 1959 vintage) in the early '70s. Most manual transmissions on pickups back then (I've not seen manual in a pickup for years) had granny gear, with the same results. I suspect that the few manual 4 speeds in pickups today have that same granny gear, though.

Back
Top Bottom