ok, sounds like I just bought more 5th wheel than my truck should handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Ram is an 08' long bed Crew Cab. I put Air Lift air springs on it, and then added the Hellwig's later.  Truth is, after I added the Hellwigs it made the air springs unnecessary.  One or the other would have done the trick.

SargeW said:
My Ram is an 08' long bed Crew Cab. I put Air Lift air springs on it, and then added the Hellwig's later.  Truth is, after I added the Hellwigs it made the air springs unnecessary.  One or the other would have done the trick.
thanks i know that one makes the other redundant i just like the flexibility the air bags offer the hellwigs or supersprings are cheaper and less things to go wrong for sure

The Hellwigs were load specific, that is without load in the truck the springs didn't add anything. When you loaded the 5ver the springs kicked in.  With air springs you need to have the compressor to deflate them, or let air out of the the valve to soften the ride. 

steveblonde said:
hi eddie i was hoping you would repost i bet that was quite the squat lol you can do a leaf and bags but not supersprings and bags

if i were you i would add a leaf and add bags my 2013 3500 still drops a good 3 or four inches without airbags - i have towed without them np however i prefer to use the bags with 50lbs - 55lbs

firestone kit 2528 std 9284 compressor mounted to the frame with a wireless dual remote - always keep 10 lbs in the bags or they tear
cheers

Ok, so we have made our first weekend camping trip with the new rig, about an hour from the house. The Chevy 2500 has had an additional leaf added to the springs as well as Firestone airbags and on board air compressor.

The truck feels MUCH better compared to prior to the suspension upgrades.

Question, even with the addition of the extra leaf, the air bags gain an additional 15lbs psi when I drop the Raptor on it, truck settles down a couple / three inches as well (granted, it rides about ~4" higher than before the mods). Does it sound like the suspension needs additional stiffening, or does that sound about right relative to your 1 ton w/airbags?

I was given an option to add a second leaf if I wanted it. I'm thinking about waiting until I make a run from Houston to Ft. Worth to see if I really need it, truck feels good going down the road as is, but I can definitely tell I have a big heavy load behind me.

elm_tx said:
Ok, so we have made our first weekend camping trip with the new rig, about an hour from the house. The Chevy 2500 has had an additional leaf added to the springs as well as Firestone airbags and on board air compressor.

The truck feels MUCH better compared to prior to the suspension upgrades.

Question, even with the addition of the extra leaf, the air bags gain an additional 15lbs psi when I drop the Raptor on it, truck settles down a couple / three inches as well (granted, it rides about ~4" higher than before the mods). Does it sound like the suspension needs additional stiffening, or does that sound about right relative to your 1 ton w/airbags?

I was given an option to add a second leaf if I wanted it. I'm thinking about waiting until I make a run from Houston to Ft. Worth to see if I really need it, truck feels good going down the road as is, but I can definitely tell I have a big heavy load behind me.
cdepending on the weight rating on the spring it sounds about right from what you say. I run 50 lbs it seems to be my sweet spot and my bags dont change ( i air them up before, and then load my trailer and it drops a  good 3 " but my gauge adjusts its self to maintain 50 lbs ) glad everything is working out , if you ever need help im me as sometimes i may miss the update
Cheers steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom