Older RV's Denied Access in Some RV Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are in a lovely park tonight.  The Picacho Peak RV Resort, its a senior living over 55 community.  the units in here are very nice, many of the park model mobile homes, also TT's and motorhomes, just spotless. He didn't say anything about Sue anne being 40 either.

I asked my same question about the old Eagle, he said they don't make a decision on age, he said its the way it looks.  I'm guessing here its if you don't have a good Sam's card or one other, that you can't stay

I was tired today, at noon I got sleepy and took a short nap and had coffee which I don't usually drink.  I just couldn't get going, first day I have gotten tired.  Also it rained all afternoon in Arizona, I didn't know it rained here and that made me have to be even more careful.  This morning little traffic, this afternoon much more.  I can say this highway north of Tucson is really a pleasure to drive on, I was tooling along at 70mph, 3000 rpm's and an easy good drive.  I just wanted to get through Tucson and not drive through on a week day if I don't have to.

There was some beautiful scenes I wish I could have photographed today.  The clouds over the mountains, then sun breaking through in places, just a gorgeous scene.  I told Sue Anne I bet this rain would make the desert bloom.  You could almost see the plants turning green today.

I sure didn't know they raised pecans in the desert or had wineries, interesting.

PatrioticStabilist said:
  I can say this highway north of Tucson is really a pleasure to drive on, I was tooling along at 7mph, 3000 rpm's and an easy good drive.
You go any slower than 7 mph and you might get a ticket for impeding traffic. I bet you get really good gas mileage at that speed. ;)

RMP is a floor finish sold at Lowes that does an amazing job giiving faded fiberglass a new finish. 

Might get you an extra year at the age restricted parks.  YMMV

seilerbird..have no fear..."" The economy is in the crapper and they are turning down paying customers because they are old and ugly. (Don't go there George)"
I had to install glass-packs on the old "Behemoth" Because the cost of the mufflers were unreal..Because of the old girls age and shall we say signature sound I was really worried of a turn down...I hated starting the engine as it takes a minute or three to drop off fast idle ..but never had a complaint..kudos to San Antonio ..I agree with the general consensus that if they don't my business it's their tough cookie..as a side bar..she may not burn rubber but when I tromp on it she sounds awesome and turns the heads of more than one kid at heart...

PancakeBill said:
RMP is a floor finish sold at Lowes that does an amazing job giiving faded fiberglass a new finish.
My fiberglass is ok.  It's the graphics & decals on the coach that are faded.  Does RMP help with the graphics?

Mike Wagner

The decals can be helped, but it only comes in gallon size.  Key is a really good wash with something like Dawn, and I have read TSP, otherwise the decal color bleeds a bit.

There are other threads with this as a subject.

For what it's worth, I have a 1991 Bounder and I read the page online about Mission Bay RV Resort in San Diego only taking 1995 or newer. I almost gave up on it at that point but decided to ask. They said mine would be accepted. I was parked next to the office so maybe that helped when they looked at it and saw that it was in pretty good shape for its age.

I never did stay there. I can't afford it yet but when I get back to working I will definitely go there. With a Passport America membership it's half off Monday thru Thursday. Instead of $50 it's only $25. Not bad.

I gotta get the Passport America membership first. That's $44 per year. Christmas is coming up(hint, hint) :)

Boundiful

Well it happened to us.  We got denied at Lakeside RV Park in Baton Rouge becuase of our restored vintage camper. 

I guess I will find out soon with this old 92 Eagle.  If so, hello Walmart and Flying J parking lots.

rfinisd said:
Well it happened to us.  We got denied at Lakeside RV Park in Baton Rouge becuase of our restored vintage camper. 

That's crazy!  We've stayed there several times in our 88 Tioga Class C when we first got it (don't have it anymore).  They're practically in our backyard, only about 10 minutes away.  If I didn't have a HOA I'd let you come park in our driveway  :)

~~~~~~~~
We just came back from Bayou Segnette State Park in Westwego.  While out walking the dogs I saw a very old, put together pop up.  This thing had corrugated metal front and backs (they took the beds out).  The top was wrapped in a visquine tarp held on by what looked like metal bars.  It belonged to a young/mid aged couple and their two little girls.  My first thought was look at that crazy thing!  Then I thought, ya know, you have to start some where.  They didn't have much, maybe they were even borderline homeless/jobless.  Whatever the case I was a bit proud that they took the initiative to do what it took to get started and to get their girls out and about.  What memories they're making.  I never once thought that they shouldn't be there because of their 'rig'. 

John From Detroit said:
My theory is the "No RV"s older than XX years" folks have so much business they have to turn it away.. Thus they don't need mine.

That'smpretty much my view too... I just got off the line to Alamo Koa Kampgrounds
(210) 224-9296
    koa.com
602 Gembler Rd, San Antonio, TX 78219
and was ,politely, that they had a rule of no RV's older than ten years...I could send pictures and their review board might allow me in...after they reviewed the pictures..I said that was OK as I am pretty sure I wouldn't blend in w/their clientele..
I had heard of this..but is my first time experiencing a rejection...guess that's why I never took up sales....

George

Icemaker said:
That'smpretty much my view too... I just got off the line to Alamo Koa Kampgrounds
(210) 224-9296
    koa.com
602 Gembler Rd, San Antonio, TX 78219
and was ,politely, that they had a rule of no RV's older than ten years...I could send pictures and their review board might allow me in...after they reviewed the pictures..I said that was OK as I am pretty sure I wouldn't blend in w/their clientele..
I had heard of this..but is my first time experiencing a rejection...guess that's why I never took up sales....

George
Strange... I just ran through their online reservation form (standard KOA form) up to the point where I would need to input my CC info, and no where was I asked the year of my motorhome, nor was there any mention of an age limit in the posted polices. I wonder if I would have been turned away at the gate despite having a confirmed reservation.

That's the last thing I would want...to be turned away at the gate....
I'm a person who prefers making reservations via the phone than over the internet..
If a campground is affiliated w/a organization and uses it as the leading part of their name than I'm lead to believe that the discrimination rules are known to their sponsor..
Apparently they want an affluent clientele, at least in appearance, and that's fine but I probably will hold my money a tad closer to my wallet and avoid the KOA's and stay in a different place..
I surely wouldn't like it if a restaurant didn't want my business because I dressed in clean bibs and work shoes and was/am 65... If just one Wendys did that than I would probably chose to avoid all Wendys.
My Mother's on her bucket-list of places to see and I won't be turned away at the gate because of the age of my coach.
They have their standards and I have mine.

George

esim134 said:
  While out walking the dogs I saw a very old, put together pop up.  This thing had corrugated metal front and backs (they took the beds out).  The top was wrapped in a visquine tarp held on by what looked like metal bars.  It belonged to a young/mid aged couple and their two little girls.  My first thought was look at that crazy thing!  Then I thought, ya know, you have to start some where.  They didn't have much, maybe they were even borderline homeless/jobless.  Whatever the case I was a bit proud that they took the initiative to do what it took to get started and to get their girls out and about.  What memories they're making.  I never once thought that they shouldn't be there because of their 'rig'.

Agree 1000%.  They're making memories that'll last a lifetime.....reminds me of wifey and I when we were young and poor (as opposed to older and poor LOL)

I'll take this family camped next to me any day over an obnoxious family in a 2012 $150K motorhome. 

Our current rig is over 10 years old and we could be turned away.  We are a typical mid 30s yuppie dual income middle class family that found air travel too difficult with kids.  But we take care of what we own.  As luck would have it the rig was in front of the house when the google car came through our neighborhood, so I cropped this photo from google maps.  I don't think we would actually be turned away but who I doubt I'd submit a photo to prove my "worthiness".  Like many of you I'd rather be next to the DIY rig, I'll bet those people are friendly!

Jeff

Attachments

• JeffBrown RV.jpg
    JeffBrown RV.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 43
George,

I'm guessing that KOA made up its own policy. We recently stayed in a couple of them on our trip west and never had a problem. Our rig is 12 years old.

Whenever we stay in San Antonio we use the Traveler's World. It's a PA campground and a 15 minute drive to the Alamo and Riverwalk.

The irony about this and the industry is, some things you just can't buy any more. Even the lightest  newer 5th wheel is no match for a tin-sided late 80's/early 90's Alpenlite in either weight or build quality, for example.
I am looking at them right now, and cringing at the prospect of getting turned away for it.

Back
Top Bottom