Older RV's Denied Access in Some RV Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW,

We have an 18' minimum limit at The Great Outdoors. Not sure that one is enforced either. :) The only one that seems to be is no truck campers or popups. Not sure why that rule is there but it is.  :(

SargeW said:
their brochure states that they want rigs no older than 10 years, AND at least 25' in length.  I think that this is the first park to set a minimum on RV length. 

I am not sure how closely they enforce this rule, but it's the first time I have seen it.

We winter in Orange Beach, AL and it is restricted to Class A's, the limit is 15 years "at time of arrival" and 32' in length. I thought the "time of arrival" was an interesting twist, and I did see a new shorter Tiffin come in. And then we had a 20 year old bus conversion that was really nice but sent pictures ahead to get "approved".

Many of the "resort" lot owner-type parks are trying to closely define their market. We have been in several that do this.

I guess it really is an effort to "refine" the quality of rigs that show up at their door.  While I have no issues with any type of rig, I cringe to see the ones held together with duct tape and bailing wire. So I kind of understand this logic, although do not totally agree with cold hard lines of separation. 

From what I'm seeing out there of late, I hope the folks in the horse trailer hadn't become homeless.

I have had more people approach me where we are fixing up a rent house and at Home Depot looking for work then I have ever seen in my lifetime.  We live in a nice area, rural that we couldn't afford to buy into nowadays so we don't see that.  But I think many folks are falling on hard times.  It makes me feel guilty anymore about complaining about my little problems with life. :-[

As campground hosts we run into many homeless people.  We have had two women come in who live in their cars.  Last week a family left (the allowed 14 days in the park were up) that lives in a tent.  They are out of money until the end of the month and were going from here to a rest park along the interstate.  Folks living in tents seems pretty common.

You will never hear me complain about having any problems. And those that I do have are insignificant in comparison to some folks are dealing with.  As someone here already stated, the mere fact that we are on this forum makes us better situated than many others.

geodrake, are you seeing an increase in the number of homeless?  I'm thankful that some at least have a TT to move into.  They can at least cook, have bathing facilities and be comfortable. 

And I try to remember, there but for the Grace of God go I.  And I'm not a bible thumper, just a believer that doesn't care for organized religion.

PatrioticStabilist said:
geodrake, are you seeing an increase in the number of homeless?  I'm thankful that some at least have a TT to move into.  They can at least cook, have bathing facilities and be comfortable. 

And I try to remember, there but for the Grace of God go I.  And I'm not a bible thumper, just a believer that doesn't care for organized religion.

Reading this post is hitting really close to home.  Daniel and I have been stranded a couple times as checks didn't come in with only the change in our pockets for cash.  When we lost our transmission near Junction City, I almost became a night manager at McDonalds to bring in additional income to try and pay for the new tranny.  We're motivated, talented, intelligent people with skills and all we are getting is short contract stuff here and there.  We remain ever thankful for our decision to get our RV because at least we have our home.  If we'd been living in an apartment or house and been this broke, we'd have been screwed!  As it is, a family member gave us a loan for the transmission and a new contract started today so money is coming in.  Thank heavens we are to a point where we can budget the cost of a cheap decent RV park vrs. rent + utilities + Internet

:-(
Paula

With the internet around and a laptop, I can find a place. I wonder what will happen when I build my own, and they ask.
"It 's a 28 foot 2012 Acme model 1". They won't find that anywhere in the books :D

Jim Dick said:
SargeW,

We have an 18' minimum limit at The Great Outdoors. Not sure that one is enforced either. :) The only one that seems to be is no truck campers or popups. Not sure why that rule is there but it is.  :(

COncern about many TC's and pop-ups not having toilets, maybe?

Quick question: could any of these places telll a 2005 Airstream from a 1975 Airstream without checking the registration? :)

I have been asking at the rv parks I've been staying in as I told them we are getting an old motorhome and I was wondering if it would be denied.  They have all told me that as long as they look good they don't care and won't keep them out.  Today the guy said what they look at is things like added air conditioners hanging out of windows or things taped on and stuff.  In otherwords a well cared for older unit won't be denied.  However, I'm sure some very high end parks will deny them and probably even various others.  We stay in nice but not high end parks.

I guess I will find out later.

John,

There are several bath/laundry facilities in the park. In fact, many owners of high end motor coaches use them rather than their own!!! :)

One prooblem with the high end parks is many are upwards of $50 a night.  They don't need a rule to keep me out of those.  They often have very nice amenities that I don't often use anyway.  So no loss. 

I did stay in a park with an age limit, declared my age, and they looked at rig and said no pproblem.  and that was BEFORE I discovered Red Max Pro!

During the last 9 years I have been a full timer I have never been turned away from an RV park. So I was shocked when last week I was turned down flat at 3 different campgrounds because my RV was too old (or ugly). I was in shock. So I have been researching this problem. What I found out was that except for the very highest class RV resorts, just about any RV park will accept you for one night providing your RV has an acceptable appearance. However the three times I was turned down I was seeking a spot for a month. One of the parks I spent the night in it and the next morning I went to the office to see about a one month stay. Nope, my RV is more than 15 years old.

So I did some research at a forum for RV park owners and they have the strangest attitudes. They claim new RV bring in newer RVs and older RVs bring in older RVs therefore making it harder to rent to newer, nicer RVs. So lets do the math. The park I wanted to stay at (not high class by any stretch of the imagination) was $45 for one night or $475 for a month. I walk in and offer to spend $475 at their business and they turn me down because I am too old or ugly. This means that they think if I were to park in their park there would be at least 11 people who drove into their park and said "That Allegro is ugly, I'm not staying here." The economy is in the crapper and they are turning down paying customers because they are old and ugly. (Don't go there George)

Reading further I discovered the 15 year rule (or 10 year rule) is really arbitrary. Most of the RV park owners had no problem with a very neat old classic RV staying at their park.

PancakeBill said:
That explains $45 a night.  This part of the Los Algodones trip you spoke about before?
No, I have given up on Los Algodones. I went there and was not impressed at all with the dentist. I am going to get the work done in the states. But currently I am just sitting and saving. I need a newer RV so I can start staying at the "high class" resorts.

Back
Top Bottom