Adding external access panel to slideout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kente

I have a Shadow Cruiser S225RBS and the wife is frustrated with the access to the under seat stowage in the dining table area. The dining table is in the slide out. She would like to install an access hatch on the outside which would allow us to get into that storage area without pulling up seat cushions and crawling around in a limited space.

It seems like a good idea but I'm not sure about the mechanical issues involved. I am assuming that I could buy a hatch which could be installed but I am concerned about compromising the structural integrity of the trailer. If I had a better idea about how the trailer is constructed I could probably find a way to do the job but I'm reluctant to just start cutting. I think that framing in a hatch should be feasible even if it requires installing a header but would like to know if anyone has more knowledge about the issues involved or has actually done anything like this.

It was not in a slide-out but I did this on our 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness under a bunk bed. I started with some exploratory work inside cutting the paneling with a utility knife and pulling out the insulation to confirm no wiring, propane lines, etc. It was all clear so I nervously cut the siding and installed the new baggage door (don't remember where I bought it but they should be readily available). This was a wood framed, aluminum sided trailer, though, so it might not apply to your specific situation. Hopefully someone with more direct experience will reply.

You should be OK If there is no slideout framing structure where you wan't to put the hatch.
If you have to cut the slideout frame, I wouldn't do it

I decided that, before doing anything drastic, I would contact Shadow Cruiser to see if they could help.  I called their customer service line and the person I spoke to was very helpful.  He said that normally they advise against modifications, but he spent some time with me and actually got out the prints for my trailer model.    When he looked at them he said that there was an aluminum plate that would have to be cut and it could impact the integrity of the slideout so he recommended against it.    I am extremely pleased with the help that I received from Shadow Cruiser.    Based on what I have learned I now do not plan to do the modification.  I will try to add the sliding drawers shown in the post above and that will go a long way to making the storage more convenient.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetyman
Back
Top Bottom