Bread machine disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, I'm so happy to hear you finally got some loaves to your satisfaction!  I'll keep enjoying my boxed mixes and you keep enjoying whatever you decide you like best, whether "store bought" or baked at home.  ;)  ;D

ArdraF

You should have been at my place this afternoon. You would have gotten a good laugh. Right after I finished eating lunch there was a knock on my door. It was my neighbor bringing me a beautiful red snapper filet that he caught this morning. So I decided to try and pan fry it. I read a bunch of recipes on the Internet. They were all different, all confusing and I didn't have most of the ingredients. I don't have a toad and I am not walking two miles to Safeway to get them so I decided to improvise. I did have canola oil, butter, salt and eggs. But I did not have flour.

First I thought about crushing up some crackers. But then an inspiration hit me. I have two boxes of bread mix, which is mostly flour. So I took two eggs and beat them till the white and yellow stuff was mixed up. Then I rolled the filet in bread mix (seriously) and sprinkled it with salt. I poured some canola oil into my cast iron skillet and heated it until a drop of water sizzled. I tossed the filet into the pan and set the timer for five minutes. After about two minutes I realized I had forgot the butter so I took about two tablespoons and put it in the frying pan, only to realize I should have put it on top of the fish instead of in the oil.

When the timer went off I flipped the filet over and cooked it for another 5 minutes. Then I put it on a plate, smothered it in lemon oil and tartar sauce and ate dinner.

I must admit it was edible however it did not look or taste like any other fish filet I have ever eaten. I probably should have taken a photo of it but I was too hungry. Remember, I told you all I am a disaster in the kitchen.

Sounds to me that you did real good, I like the improvising. Sometimes when I goof up it turns out better. Of course that probably wouldn't have kept me from a good laugh. My buddies daughter was baking her dad a birthday cake and instead of putting in two and a half cups of flour she read it as two - one half cups instead.

I know you like simple, so if he brings you another rockfish (snapper or whatever) try my Tom's method.  He wraps the fillet in foil, salts and peppers it, bakes it at 350 for 20 minutes.  You could add other seasonings, but Pacific Northwest rockfish is so flavorful, it really doesn't require anything other than salt and pepper.

Margi

Not trying to tell you how to cook, but you could try the easy way and forget the coating - just saute the plain snapper in some oil and butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, squeeze a lemon over it (if you have one), and enjoy. If you want to get real fancy, sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley (or the dry stuff, if you must).

Wendy

Wendy said:
Not trying to tell you how to cook, but you could try the easy way and forget the coating - just saute the plain snapper in some oil and butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, squeeze a lemon over it (if you have one), and enjoy. If you want to get real fancy, sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley (or the dry stuff, if you must).
You know Wendy that was what I was thinking but every single recipe had me rolling it in flour, so I figured there must be some reason. And yes he will be bringing more over. He fishes almost every day and brings me either salmon or snapper twice a week.

Broiling is also a great way to cook snapper or salmon. Put it on a broiler-proof pan (like the one that comes in the oven), dab with a little bit of butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon before or after broiling. Remember, simple is often best.

Damn, I'm getting hungry for some fresh fish. And here I sit in the middle of Colorado !
Wendy

Wendy said:
Broiling is also a great way to cook snapper or salmon. Put it on a broiler-proof pan (like the one that comes in the oven), dab with a little bit of butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon before or after broiling. Remember, simple is often best.
I would need an oven for this recipe to work.

No oven? Then go with the pan frying. But if you dip fresh salmon in bread mix and eggs, you should be drawn and quartered.

Wendy

I agree with Wendy, if you can't bake or broil, just pan fry in 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil.  You can't ruin Pacific Northwest rockfish of whatever variety unless you over cook it.  Salt, pepper, fry quickly, enjoy!  We have some in the freezer.  It's coming out tomorrow  because I'm now salivating.

Margi

Wendy said:
No oven? Then go with the pan frying. But if you dip fresh salmon in bread mix and eggs, you should be drawn and quartered.
I do have an oven, however the oven doesn't work. I have been grilling salmon on the BBQ and it turns out dynamite. In fact I have three pieces defrosting in the refer for lunch tomorrow. Yesterday was payday and I went bought me a new grill. I finally decided the charcoal thing was too messy and too expensive. I got a gas one for $49 at Walmart. The old one was a table top one and when there is no table I was using it on the ground. This one has legs and it folds up and fits neatly into my BBQ storage bay.

Tom, FWIW, when it comes to cooking fish, almost any method will work other than microwave, so it really comes down to your tastes.  The only way to fish is to not over cook it, then it gets dry and loses it flavour.

Ed

Tom, I'm really impressed at your solution!  ;D ;D  I'm not very adventuresome either when it comes to cooking and I'm not sure I would have dreamt up that recipe.  So, congrats for being so inventive!  ;)

Maybe your neighbor smelled your bread baking and wants you to give him some!

ArdraF

Tom..ext year at Quartzite I expect to have a perfect piece of home made bread..can you do cinnamon.  Just to let you know I still have the picture you took of Charlie as my screensaver.  Your picture captured him perfectly.

Tim Lassen said:
Tom..ext year at Quartzite I expect to have a perfect piece of home made bread..can you do cinnamon.  Just to let you know I still have the picture you took of Charlie as my screensaver.  Your picture captured him perfectly.
Tim - I don't think I will be at Q next January. I am hoping to be heading for Florida.

A photo of Charlie? If you go to my Picasa site you will see that his photo is on the album cover of my Q photos. He is a handsome dude.

picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Attachments

• Charlie (1).jpg
    Charlie (1).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 46
I will miss you and everyone else at Q, but I have to get to Texas in December to have Ernie put in new carpet. Since I am half way there I have decided to head to Florida when I am done there. I have never seen Disney World and one of the forum members here has made me an offer I can't refuse. There are nine white tigers there waiting for me to photograph them. ;D

Hey Tom...too bad I had to sell the airboat and my health went south. You could have gotten some great shots in our swamp. I might be able to arrange a trip with someone else if you let me know when you are close to central Fl......later..Will

UPS just arrived with a six pack of Hodgson Mill white bread mix. I have one started and I am anxiously awaiting the outcome. This stuff is expensive, about $4 a loaf after shipping. I sure wish I could find it locally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ladygadget
Back
Top Bottom