Can I tow a 2000 Malibu with auto transmission - 4 wheels down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe_M

Looking at Motor Home's Annual Dinghy Guide (I checked the 2003 to 2009 guides), they show that  the Chevy Malibu can be towed with 4 wheels down.  I currently own a 2000 Malibu, front-wheel-drive with automatic transmission and would like to tow it, but I'm a little nervous as Motor Home has no guide for 2000 models.  Before I assume the 2000 Malibu can be towed safely and without damage, I thought I would ask.  Also, if I tow 4 wheels down, will the speed-odometer increase while towing?

I checked the Remco Guide http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles and it says it can be towed as is.  Good luck and happy traveling

I towed a 2000 Malibu all 4 down for about 30,000 miles with no problem. Making a stupid left hand turn into an on-coming car did, however wipe it out. I now tow a 2003 Malibu with no problem.

Thank you both for the quick response.  Now, I just need to convince my wife as it is her car.

Joe_Moore said:
Thank you both for the quick response.  Now, I just need to convince my wife as it is her car.

Just make sure you get the correct identity of the 4 fuses you need to remove when towing. That will save your battery and keep your odometer off. Our 1999 Pontiac Grand Am had the wrong fuses shown in the owner's manual and GM replaced 2 batteries before discovering that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetyman
Back
Top Bottom