How do you all handle trash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a 37' motorhome and probably have more space than you do.  When we bought the unit, I had a round stainless steel step-on trash can that we carried in the closet till we set up then put it in a corner in the kitchen.  Problem is it tends to bounce around in the closet and we never really filled up a 13 Gallon bag.  We ditched the big can and bought a small plastic can that exactly holds a plastic grocery type bag.  That will last us a couple days and we'll simply empty the one in the bathroom into it, and take it to the dumpster.  If we bring the cats, we use a grocery bag to scoop used litter into and then dispose if it as quickly as possible.  A trip to the dumpster is a nice walk if it's not raining.  If it is, we tie it all off and set it under the unit till we can take it out.  Never had a problem with racoons - maybe they don't like the smell of cat litter??!!!

Thanks again for all the replies!  We seem to have found a good solution for us.  DW found a plastic laundry hamper that is tall and wide but quite flat, which I attached with a bungee cord to the side of our back seat next to the front door.  Because of its squashed footprint it takes up a narrow bit of otherwise wasted space, yet a regular 30 gallon trash bag fits very nicely into it.  Trash was not an issue at all for us on our last trip even with an additional adult guest who cooked all his own meals in addition to our own (due to severe dietary restrictions).  This is working much better for us than storing a trash can in the shower, since we usually hang our wet towels in there to dry and the two simply aren't good bedfellows.

Please don't burn your trash in the same campground I happen to be in. I've had to leave more than once because of the acrid smell....rude!!

Speaking of trash: Pulled into the CG sunday PM, Guard handed me my papers (nice, did not even have to get out and call her on the radio) and we found a nice site.. Hooked up (Short hook up due to weather) and walked over to office to let 'em know where I was parked.. Spotted couple driving out, bag of trash on top of car.. HOLLARED!!!  They rolled down the window and said "Opps" tuned around and visited dumpster before departing for freeway.

Yup, don't forget it's on the roof :)

I'm going to try using a couple of these - Urbano trash can, that store and use plastic bags from grocery stores.

Here's a link,  and I attached a picture.

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/urbano-eco-trash-can?country=US&aw_cid=418990617&aw_aid=23029474017&aw_dev=c&aw_loc=9009678&aw_key=&aw_mtype=&aw_net=g&aw_ad=89943116937&aw_pos=1o3&aw_shopid=17827&aw_prod_partid=194850157257&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgIPOBRDnARIsAHA1X3SyE00KDDXqPRV4OJhE6Ydn1-D6RIgswFhZHmu5wNmJt8Cr0S7wSgMaAixdEALw_wcB

Attachments

• urbano.trashcan.jpg
    urbano.trashcan.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 143
I also would not put trash in an underneath storage bin.  It is amazing how fast little critters like mice and chipmunks can get in there, unless yours are sealed.  I buy the medium trash bags sold at Target and use a small trash can under my sink.  I walk it to the dumpster every night after dinner, if I can--less smell that way.  Some of the campgrounds have started putting dumpsters a LONG walk away from the campsite to prevent animals from becoming pests.

You might also consider a collapsible bucket or similar container similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42903-Pop-Up-Utility-Container/dp/B003D3PP6K  I use one tucked behind the drivers seat in my motorhome as a trash can for water bottles, and road snacks when travelling solo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetyman
Back
Top Bottom