Jeep Modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate not doing my own work, and being at the mercy of a shop's time frame. My Jeep has been in the shop for several days with a few more days left on the schedule. I am bored to tears, the motor home is squared away, the weather has cooled significantly this week, and I miss not having my Jeep in the shop to tinker around with.

Oscar Mike said:
I hate not doing my own work, and being at the mercy of a shop's time frame. My Jeep has been in the shop for several days with a few more days left on the schedule. I am bored to tears, the motor home is squared away, the weather has cooled significantly this week, and I miss not having my Jeep in the shop to tinker around with.

I wish I had known you were bored.  I would have had you come up and help with my coach.  I have had the rear suspension torn apart and polishing wheels while having new tires mounted up.  Plenty of work that I could have found for ya.

Plus next week I am building new control arms for my Jeep because I am less than happy with the BDS bushings.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
I wish I had known you were bored.  I would have had you come up and help with my coach.  I have had the rear suspension torn apart and polishing wheels while having new tires mounted up.  Plenty of work that I could have found for ya.

Plus next week I am building new control arms for my Jeep because I am less than happy with the BDS bushings.

Mike.

I wish I had known you had so much free time on your hands, I would have tried to talk you into doing a paying job on my TJ. I would have willingly dragged my Jeep up to SLC. 

Oscar Mike said:
I wish I had known you had so much free time on your hands, I would have tried to talk you into doing a paying job on my TJ. I would have willingly dragged my Jeep up to SLC.

I wouldn't call it free time.  I had been putting off doing the alignment modifications and tires on our coach for when the weather cooperated.  I have been building a new utility trailer that now got put on hold and now I found out I need to build new control arms for our Jeep.  All this before our first trip in a couple weeks.  Combine that with working 10 hours a day at my full-time job and I have been spending some late nights in the shop.

I have two Jeeps that I need to get in for re-gear jobs, a Corvette that needs a transmission built and no time.  I think the people are getting frustrated with me but I tried explaining I work full-time plus trying to get caught up on our stuff and just don't have any time right now and probably won't for about a month.  I told them if they prefer to take their vehicles elsewhere there will be no hard feelings and I understand but they insist on having me do them.  I am almost to the point that I want them to take them elsewhere so they will quite calling and rushing me.  I told my wife I don't want to rush through our vehicles just so I can get to someone elses.

Chrystal wants me to slow down a bit so we can enjoy the RVing season that we have planned this year.  She keeps informing me that we have a lot of fun trips planned and doesn't want to see me rushed or frustrated with being gone on trips.  I think that was a major hint that I had better not over-schedule my time. ;)

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
I wouldn't call it free time.  I had been putting off doing the alignment modifications and tires on our coach for when the weather cooperated.  I have been building a new utility trailer that now got put on hold and now I found out I need to build new control arms for our Jeep.  All this before our first trip in a couple weeks.  Combine that with working 10 hours a day at my full-time job and I have been spending some late nights in the shop.

I have two Jeeps that I need to get in for re-gear jobs, a Corvette that needs a transmission built and no time.  I think the people are getting frustrated with me but I tried explaining I work full-time plus trying to get caught up on our stuff and just don't have any time right now and probably won't for about a month.  I told them if they prefer to take their vehicles elsewhere there will be no hard feelings and I understand but they insist on having me do them.  I am almost to the point that I want them to take them elsewhere so they will quite calling and rushing me.  I told my wife I don't want to rush through our vehicles just so I can get to someone elses.

Chrystal wants me to slow down a bit so we can enjoy the RVing season that we have planned this year.  She keeps informing me that we have a lot of fun trips planned and doesn't want to see me rushed or frustrated with being gone on trips.  I think that was a major hint that I had better not over-schedule my time. ;)

Mike.

Prioritizing one's life is essential to happiness, I learned that a long time ago. Back in the day when I was doing side work and I was at the top of my game as a Carpenter I failed to prioritize and it cost me dearly later in my life. The money is just not worth the sacrifice.

I too have a great travel season planned and I am doing every thing possible to not allow anything to get in the way.

Oscar Mike said:
I am doing every thing possible to not allow anything to get in the way.

Actually, I think that was the point my wife was trying to make.  I complained because we didn't travel as much as usual last year and so this year we made a lot of trips well in advance.  Now I am getting busier and she wants me to slow down and enjoy the traveling we have planned, and I get that.  I keep telling her as soon as I get this done or that done.  She knows me well enough that as soon as one major project is completed I move on to the next.  I guess that is what I am trying to change.

We have gotten ourselves to the point where our full-time jobs provide enough money that I don't "need" to do as much side work through our shop as I used to and that is what I am trying to shift my mindset to.  There are days where I want to just come home from work and wash my Jeep or her car or hell even take the motorcycle for a ride and quiet my mind and can't because I have someone else's vehicle in the shop working on it.  That is what I think she wants me to change.

On a side note, it kills me when I hear some of the local shops complaining because they don't have any work, becuase I currently have more than I want.

Mike.

Hang in there guys. It sounds like you will both be out RVing and Jeeping before you know it. Four of us had a great Jeep outing this past Sunday, and although one Jeep did tip over on its side with minimal damage we all had fun. I still do not have my Jeep fully built, but have made some progress since Moab last fall.

Becks said:
Hang in there guys. It sounds like you will both be out RVing and Jeeping before you know it. Four of us had a great Jeep outing this past Sunday, and although one Jeep did tip over on its side with minimal damage we all had fun. I still do not have my Jeep fully built, but have made some progress since Moab last fall.

Sounds great Gary.  I am excited to see it. 

Mike.

Becks said:
...I still do not have my Jeep fully built, but have made some progress since Moab last fall.

Is a Jeep ever really fully built?  ;) After everything I am getting done to the Jeep right now, my list of wants is growing...lights, more armor, fenders, exogate, etc., etc., etc. I think that's one of the things this old tinkerer enjoys most about the Jeep...

Oscar Mike said:
Is a Jeep ever really fully built?  ;) I think that's one of the things this old tinkerer enjoys most about the Jeep...

My wife has told me about most of my vehicles that I enjoy building them almost more than using them.  She may be on to something there.

Mike.

The Jeep is home...

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Lifted Jeep 001.JPG
    Lifted Jeep 001.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 42
I've got to do a 500 mile break in period before I can get it out on the trails...

I was wondering if my mechanic should have re-calibrated the speedometer as part of the job. It appears that my speedometer is off by 10-12 mph at highway speeds. Is it difficult to calibrate a speedometer?

Your shop or someone in your Jeep club should have a Pro Cal tool to calibrate. I'll be in Pahrump for the month of March and have mine with me if your headed that way.

Oscar Mike said:
I was wondering if my mechanic should have re-calibrated the speedometer as part of the job. It appears that my speedometer is off by 10-12 mph at highway speeds. Is it difficult to calibrate a speedometer?

That is something your mechanic probably should have done or at least mentioned to you needed to be done.  On the 99-2006 TJ and 2004-2006 LJ that use the NV231 transfer case there is a small plastic gear at the rear of the transfer case that needs to be changed out for one with the appropriate number of teeth.  They are itentified by color and teeth count.  It is quite easy to do, there is a chart that shows tire diamater and how.

Here is a chart on Quadratec's website displaying the options.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-46.htm

Mike.

Don't remember if you installed an sye or not. If so and it was a standard one, all you need is the correct tooth speedometer gear as Mike suggested. If you had a super short sye installed, you would have to get an electronic recalibration device as there isn't any gear in the super short sye's. http://www.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/products_ht.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom