Only in California . . . .Gas station Ban?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have had both and the grand Cherokee doesn’t hold a candle to the tesla. And that is obviously reflected in its sales.
I also owned a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees with All-Terrain tires.

Seems to me my Tesla M3 with the stock tires does better in the snow than my 4WD Jeeps did with their all-terrain tires. As long as it is no deeper than around a half a half foot (150 mm). Not much ground clearance in a M3. But if the snow is deeper than that, I won't even take the Jeep, I will stay home.

But they say here my AWD with stock tires is only "okay-ish". I have not yet felt it slip at all in snow around here in Reno.

-Don- Reno, NV

My dad bought the house I grew up in for $10,000 in Fullerton in 1958. In Orange County when there were actually still orange groves there. And avocado trees and strawberries. After he passed we sold it for $600,000. Nice appreciation.

After he passed we sold it for $600,000. Nice appreciation.
Yep, normal inflation from year 1958 until year 2024 would make $10,000 worth only $106,718.69. That house beat inflation by almost six times.

And most people want to save cash?

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Funny about CA home prices. Expensive, yes. I have same-age family there. Home prices were staggering even 15-20 years ago when all of us were just starting out. But they've appreciated in kind. Not unlike here in the Northwest.

An interesting tidbit on the news however was that despite of the price of houses and fuel and ___ in CA it's the state where a renter is most able to afford to eat. Who'd a-thunk it?
(And how accurate the report is I do not know)

And, California has the highest state exodus in the country, so much so Newsome and his cronies are wondering where they'll make up the lost tax revenues.

yes but I just looked up the states ranked in order of population
The top 10 have 10 million or more (# 11 had just under 10)
Michigan by the way is #10 California at just shy of 39Million (might as well say 40)
Well when you say "highest state exodus) are you talking the NUMBER who like my parents and I about 70 years ago head East.. or are talking the percentage of that 40 Million who head east?

Makes a difference cause 1million people leaving is 10% of Michigan but only about 2.6 for California

And Legislatures. including the Executive branch are always trying to find ways to make up for lost revenue and often lying about it...

I still recall one newscast where the News item was the Cost of living and how the biggest Gainer was housing cost (Translates to property value)

And the Guest editorial on that self same 'cast was the local superintendent of schools crying about how the same property tax dollar did not go as far...
But Housing costs (And thus the amount brought in by the property tax) Was the biggest increase that year....(NOTE this was many MANY years ago)

Last edited by a moderator:
CA it's the state where a renter is most able to afford to eat.
Yes, I agree. San Francisco food is cheaper than just about anywhere else, at least if you know where to go. And it's really good. And most people who live in SF rent.

Everything else in SF is so expensive that they don't have much money left to eat, so food has to be cheap! :)

-Don- Reno, NV

Yes, I agree. San Francisco food is cheaper than just about anywhere else, at least if you know where to go. And it's really good. And most people who live in SF rent.

Everything else in SF is so expensive that they don't have much money left to eat, so food has to be cheap! :)

-Don- Reno, NV
We lived on Franklin between Washington and Jackson. One street north of Van Ness. Favorite place to eat was i Fratelli at Hyde & Green. Locals place not a lot of touristas knew about it. Favorite after hours place was Pasand in Cow Hollow. Indian restaurant that played live jazz in the back after 9p. Also a locals hangout. Those were the days.

We lived on Franklin between Washington and Jackson.
I know the area well.

Tom & I enjoyed places such as Jackson Cafe. My favorite dish there was the baked oxtail. Nobody else made it like that.

BTW, SF is a lousy place for EVs, IMO. Very few will be able to home charge, which I find to be one of the biggest advantages to EVs.

Most are lucky if they can park three blocks from where they live.

While restaurant food was one of the things I really miss from SF, Sacramento is almost as good, but pay a bit more also. While property is much more expensive in SF, they are often packed with customers seven days a week. They deal in volume.

Overall, I am glad to be out to the SF area rat race. These days, I try to stay away from such places. But even the freeways around Sacramento can get all jammed up. But not the way they do around SF.

I was born in SF but never lived there. My parents lived in Daly City at the time. San Mateo, soon after. And after the army, I lived (in order) Belmont, Millbrae, South San Franciso (for those who do not know, SSF is NOT in SF and there are towns between SF & SSF and SF & SSF are different counties).

BTW, I worked for the city of SF for 35 years. Radio Systems Technician.

-Don- Reno, NV

I know the area well.

Tom & I enjoyed places such as Jackson Cafe. My favorite dish there was the baked oxtail. Nobody else made it like that.

BTW, SF is a lousy place for EVs, IMO. Very few will be able to home charge, which I find to be one of the biggest advantages to EVs.

Most are lucky if they can park three blocks from where they live.

While restaurant food was one of the things I really miss from SF, Sacramento is almost as good, but pay a bit more also. While property is much more expensive in SF, they are often packed with customers seven days a week. They deal in volume.

Overall, I am glad to be out to the SF area rat race. These days, I try to stay away from such places. But even the freeways around Sacramento can get all jammed up. But not the way they do around SF.

I was born in SF but never lived there. My parents lived in Daly City at the time. San Mateo, soon after. And after the army, I lived (in order) Belmont, Millbrae, South San Franciso (for those who do not know, SSF is NOT in SF and there are towns between SF & SSF and SF & SSF are different counties).

BTW, I worked for the city of SF for 35 years. Radio Systems Technician.

-Don- Reno, NV
We were directly across from the Haas-Lilienthal House. We had underground parking a few blocks away. Nick Cage had a house in the neighborhood and saw him a few times. I worked in Palo Alto as a national sales manager for a satellite systems company. Our teleport was in Fremont. Commuted across the Dumbarton (we called it the Dumbastard Bridge) if I had to go ever there. Lived for a short time in Sacto also. Near Cal-Expo off Howe Ave.

Commuted across the Dumbarton (we called it the Dumbastard Bridge)
I had an old buddy with the last name of "Barton". So of course, he called it the "SmartBarton Bridge"

Lived for a short time in Sacto also. Near Cal-Expo off Howe Ave.

I know that area also, near the CCS EV fast charge station at Raley's:
1 Cadillac Dr,
Sacramento, CA 95825

As well as a few dozen others.

-Don- Reno, NV

I had an old buddy with the last name of "Barton". So of course, he called it the "SmartBarton Bridge"

I know that area also, near the CCS EV fast charge station at Raley's:
1 Cadillac Dr,
Sacramento, CA 95825

As well as a few dozen others.

-Don- Reno, NV
Spent about 10 mos at the Residence Inn working on a local project. Small world.

No, I didn't mean that. I was actually adding to your list of reasons why EVs are more popular in Europe.
I see. I was just giving an explanation about Norway.

The miles we drive in the UK are probably much lower than in the US so it makes electric vehicles more attractive but a friend recently changed hers to a hybrid as she was worried about running out of power. Probably unfounded though

We are being pushed into taking them. The last time I was in the VW showroom all the vehicles inside were electric.

We are being pushed into taking them. The last time I was in the VW showroom all the vehicles inside were electric.

The dealer probably put them all in the showroom so they don’t short out while being left outside in the rain ;)

I do not understand “being pushed” into EV’s however. Just because something has a great coupon for savings at the grocery store does not mean you must purchase and only keep only that food around the house. The same is true with the myriad make and model of vehicles being sold. Most are ICE.

Yep, normal inflation from year 1958 until year 2024 would make $10,000 worth only $106,718.69. That house beat inflation by almost six times.

And most people want to save cash?

-Don- Reno, NV
Probably not the best comparison. You are right if the amount is saved in cash but if the money was invested in an S&P500 fund which historically returns 10%+ over a 5-year rolling average one would have amassed $7m dollars.

The ROI on the house is about 6.4% which beats the national average usually quoted at around 5%. Not unexpected based on the economy and popularity of Orange county. Although after maintenance of 1-1.5% the return is probably more like 5.5-6%

My dad worked in Fullerton for his entire career.

1708435680995.png

1708435775601.png

I do not understand “being pushed” into EV’s however.
I don't either. Why would anyone think eliminating gasoline is pushing anyone into an EV? We have other options. Don't most of us know how to ride a bicycle? Of course a bicycle makes much more sense and will replace EV someday :)

1708443129782.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom