Personal Protection While Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another great reason why people who have made their intentions known by being violent and committing prior crimes shouldn't be allowed to purchase or own a gun.
I really have no issue with BGCs for new or used guns from dealers (private gun sales are very different) but it is believed with most who fail the BGC, it has nothing at all to do with violence of any type. But this cannot be proven, because no such records are kept.

But . . . .

An example is a young woman who at a traffic stop who handed the cop a phony insurance ID card. While driving without insurance usually isn't that big of a deal, handing a cop such a phony document is a felony. Now she cannot legally own a gun for the rest of her life.

-Don- Auburn, CA

An example is a young woman who at a traffic stop who handed the cop a phony insurance ID card. While driving without insurance usually isn't that big of a deal, handing a cop such a phony document is a felony. Now she cannot legally own a gun for the rest of her life.

Good!

And she should be banned from owning a gun. She can’t be trusted.

And she should be banned from owning a gun. She can’t be trusted.
Yeah, but if this happened when she was 19 years old and is now fifty, I would say perhaps she was just being a dumb kid back then. People often change over the years.

Weren't most of us young and dumb at one time?

-Don- Auburn, CA

We’re not screwed. We are fine.

Here’s a fact for you. The vast majority of gun crime is young black men shooting other young black men. Perhaps the real problem is young black men.
My grandkids are black and my son in law is black. Are you saying they are the problem? By the way, I am as white as white can be. I fear for my SIL and my grandkids everyday; not from other blacks but from law enforcement.

Yeah, but if this happened when she was 19 years old and is now fifty, I would say perhaps she was just being a dumb kid back then. People often change over the years.

Weren't most of us young and dumb at one time?

-Don- Auburn, CA
Sometimes repercussions last a lifetime. Not being able to purchase a gun can’t be the worst thing in life. I’m 72 and never bought one.

Storing guns as you suggest is hardly a prudent defense strategy, but you do what best suits you. Just don’t mandate I do what best suits you.
I was not advocating any particular type of gun storage, I was advocating that gun "safety" courses should NOT be teaching such things as "safe" gun storage, suicide prevention, etc. and SHOULD limit themselves to topics such as safe gun handling, knowing legality of shooting, ability to hit what one is aiming at, etc.

I was not advocating any particular type of gun storage, I was advocating that gun "safety" courses should NOT be teaching such things as "safe" gun storage, suicide prevention, etc. and SHOULD limit themselves to topics such as safe gun handling, knowing legality of shooting, ability to hit what one is aiming at, etc.
Not advocating safe gun storage flys in the face of protecting children. If you have children in the house safe gun storage is paramount.

Old Gator, WHY? I grew up in a house with unlocked guns, and so did my parents, and just about everyone else I knew in my generation. It was common to have a loaded and ready to go shotgun or rifle around most houses, particularly if growing up in the countryside, often it would be leaning up in a corner by the back door. Sure there were incidents, but not that many, I remember one guy when I was in high school shooting himself in the leg with a .22 when he was showing off for his girlfriend. It could just have easily been showing off skateboarding, but that does not get the attention.

My point here is choice of securing guns, teaching kids about safe gun handling, etc. is a completely different issue than what should be taught in gun safety classes. Just like drivers education should not include information about securing car keys to be out of reach of small children.

As I have said many times,,I own many guns of all types AND,, I also remember when this subject would never had made 7 pages before shutdown..>>>Dan

On the topic of gun rights being revoked, this is another thing that happens way too often, I have a relative by marriage that just recently had his gun rights restored 20 years after one of those youthful stupid moves, he stole his own car back from his ex, then spent a couple of years in prison for break and entering and grand theft auto. Short version he bought a car registered it in his significant other's name for insurance purposes (they had a kid together), she got upset took the car and went home to mommy and daddy. So he broke into their garage to get "his" car back, and went to jail.

My grandkids are black and my son in law is black. Are you saying they are the problem? By the way, I am as white as white can be. I fear for my SIL and my grandkids everyday; not from other blacks but from law enforcement.
Blacks aren’t the problem. Urban black culture is. Too many babies being raised without fathers and the old school grandmas are becoming a thing of the past too.

I think its everyone's lucky night tonight. No one here will get shot by any trained or untrained persons participating here tonight.:p:D:D

Old Gator, WHY? I grew up in a house with unlocked guns, and so did my parents, and just about everyone else I knew in my generation. It was common to have a loaded and ready to go shotgun or rifle around most houses, particularly if growing up in the countryside, often it would be leaning up in a corner by the back door. Sure there were incidents, but not that many, I remember one guy when I was in high school shooting himself in the leg with a .22 when he was showing off for his girlfriend. It could just have easily been showing off skateboarding, but that does not get the attention.

My point here is choice of securing guns, teaching kids about safe gun handling, etc. is a completely different issue than what should be taught in gun safety classes. Just like drivers education should not include information about securing car keys to be out of reach of small children.
None of this matters anymore. I grew up the same way. A gun cabinet full of guns and rules as to how to handle them. Now days there are too many idiots with guns on the streets. Cut me off in traffic and I’ll put a cap in your ass. That’s the mindset now.

Kirk, I bet you have camped beside "the armed camp" way more often than you would like to think.
I am retired law enforcement and I practice often with my firearms. I will not be a victim but I pray to God that I never have to defend myself or my family.

Sometimes repercussions last a lifetime. Not being able to purchase a gun can’t be the worst thing in life. I’m 72 and never bought one.
My point was that it is no indication of violence and perhaps BGCs are not as useful as many like to believe.

Many pass the BGC and then commit murders (such as the Las Vegas mass shooting). And many cannot pass it who are not violent at all.

I don't really care much one way or the other on the dealer BGCs, but IMAO, BGCs for private sales (called UBCs or Universal BCs) are totally useless and designed to harass the good guys only.

But some people must believe a drug dealer who sells his own firearm to a gangbanger will go for the UBC.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjay
Back
Top Bottom